Unable to buy game?

AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
I might have posted this in the wrong area and also going to post in Steam support, but... is anyone else having trouble buying the game through steam at the moment? I want to buy a 4-pack for some friends and I already own a deluxe copy myself, it just wont let me "purchase as a gift", the button is greyed out.

Comments

• SoundFXSoundFX Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20048Members
    I don't think steam lets you buy a 4 pack to give 4 away in the event you own it already. You would take one for yourself usually. Best you can do is paypal your buddy the money and have him buy it. (This is speculation)
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah, Steam is lame and won't let you purchase a 4-pack of any game if you already own said game.
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    That's pretty disappointing, here I am willing to fork out for a 4-pack but now won't be. Think about how many sales UWE and other developers could be losing because of this.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Tell Valve, they will be losing out on the sale as well probably.
  • AussieKidAussieKid Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154896Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've submitted a support ticket, it appears that if I want to buy 4 individual copies of the game as gifts at a higher price then it will allow me to do so, but if I want to buy the discounted 4-pack and already own a copy of the game then it gives me no option to buy it at all. The only way I can think of getting around this at the moment is to create a new steam account, purchase the 4-pack, then gift them all to my friends.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    AussieKid wrote: »
    I've submitted a support ticket, it appears that if I want to buy 4 individual copies of the game as gifts at a higher price then it will allow me to do so, but if I want to buy the discounted 4-pack and already own a copy of the game then it gives me no option to buy it at all. The only way I can think of getting around this at the moment is to create a new steam account, purchase the 4-pack, then gift them all to my friends.
    Pretty much. Its a stupid Steam issue so I would pester them to try to get it fixed.
  • BLACKSasquatchBLACKSasquatch Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183675Members
    AussieKid wrote: »

Nope, It'll force you to keep one of them and won't let you give it away.
  • SavantSavant Join Date: 2002-11-30 Member: 10289Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    Steam won't ever fix this, and I'll tell you why...

When you buy a four-pack, the cost is 4 copies for the price of 3. If a person who owned the game could buy another 4-pack, they could theoretically sell off the 4 copies for a price less than the single-copy price at valve - especially if there is a special. (people could actually profit from it)

This likely wouldn't have been an issue had the game trading system not been in place.
  • RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2013
    Yep, it's not a stupid rule if you think about it. It's not there because they forgot about it, it is there because they know exactly what they are doing (even though, for honest clients it can seem ridiculous).
    It also prevents people from buying 4 packs for their friends (or "friends") who live in a country where games are much more expensive on Steam.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Savant wrote: »
    Steam won't ever fix this, and I'll tell you why...

When you buy a four-pack, the cost is 4 copies for the price of 3. If a person who owned the game could buy another 4-pack, they could theoretically sell off the 4 copies for a price less than the single-copy price at valve - especially if there is a special. (people could actually profit from it)

This likely wouldn't have been an issue had the game trading system not been in place.
    Fair point, but I still think they could implement some sort of restriction system to allow legitimate gifters the ability to buy and send 4-packs.