Alien vision default = on?

Comments

• tarquinbbtarquinbb Join Date: 2012-11-03 Member: 166314Members
    edited April 2013
    i use it pretty sparingly tbh, like a flashlight that can detect mines.

it's difficult to tell if you're hidden in shadow or detected by scan/obs, and sometimes it's disorienting when engaging multiple targets because the orange colour will blend together.

you can't throw around conjecture like 'newbies don't know about alien vision'. it's in the control options and tutorial videos, if you don't know about that - then how do you know about pressing 'E' to build etc? it's a very basic command.
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    edited April 2013
    I don't think there's a single alien gameplay vid on youtube, that's doesn't show AV being used.
    But it would be interesting to see in 1st person spectator mode, when a player uses AV...new players - completely unaware of anything on the Aliens side - would get the message in a few seconds ("hey there must be a key for this").

I switch AV on and off so often, that I've bound the command to a mousebutton :-c
  • PaajtorPaajtor Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168634Members
    MMZ_Torak wrote: »
    Paajtor wrote: »
    Chris0132 wrote: »
    There's very little reason to turn it off so I tend to play the entire game like that. Except, amusingly, for when the horrible graphics get too much for my eyes and I turn it off to get some relief.

Less crappy alien vision graphics would be nice.
    That's why I would love to have an Alien Vision like this getting white-listed.
    It looks so much nicer, has less strain on the eyes.
    I had the mod loaded for some time, but came accross only 1 server which allowed for the use of it. :(

Don't look for a white-list anytime soon.
    I see :-?

Ok then I have high hopes, that UWE themselves are prepared to change Alien Vision, (and contact some of the modders on Steam, perhaps?).
    OP want it ON by default, that's what this thread is about.
    But it doesn't harm to expand on the topic, does it?

Imo, AV in it's current implementation, seems rudimentary.
    It's not "organic" in the way the rest of the Alien stuff is presented.
    To artificial, to digital if you like.
    An analog approach (like I think the mod has which I linked to), would make much more sense...and probably also would make it a bit less powerfull, which is something I could live with.
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited April 2013
    I dislike alien vision, because I have it on 95% of the time. I want like to enjoy the games visuals and not play in tron mode, but its way easier to track marines with it on. No reason to turn it off other than those rare moments when you need to see something alien vision blocks, or if you would rather enjoy the games graphics and not play in tron mode .....and disregard the advantage it gives you.

What I would rather have is a passive alien vision that is always on. Similar to that minimal version on steam workshop. You really only notice it when you need it...its a great mod. However, the "trade off" would be that in powered rooms alien vision is disabled, which gives marines a good motivation to turn on power/lights and for aliens to turn it off.
  • GorginatorGorginator Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72241Members
    edited April 2013
    OutlawDr wrote: »
    I dislike alien vision, because I have it on 95% of time. I want like to enjoy the games visuals and not play in tron mode, but it way easier to track marines with it on. No reason to turn it off other than those rare moments when you need to see something alien vision blocks, or if you would rather enjoy the games graphics and not play in tron mode and disregard the advantage it gives you.

What I would rather have is a passive alien vision that is always on. Similar to that minimal version on steam workshop. You really only notice it when you need it...its a great mod. However, the "trade off" would be that in powered rooms alien vision is disabled, which gives marines another good motivation to turn on power/lights and for aliens to turn it off.

I agree. I think the best thing is for them to return alien vision from NS1.

In NS1, it didn't change anything "except" it made Marines transparent and glow (the glow wasn't a specific color, it just made marines transparent and brighter, so they were much easier to see).

This meant that you could see Marines well, but it didn't make the environment and the map and everything "not as appreciable" like it does with NS2 alien vision (which makes everything green and red, which isn't very fun to always look at :( ).

Anyone else agree NS1 alien vision should return? Maybe the NS2 alien vision (which is cool and neat but shouldn't always be on) could still be kept as an alternative option (that can be set via console command or options).

NS1 had like 4 different crosshairs for "each weapon" and 4 different map settings (plus many more customizable settings that were built in). We need the return of "options" for NS2 (and lets start it with NS1 style alien vision) !
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    IronHorse wrote: »
    There's very little reason to turn it off so I tend to play the entire game like that.
    You mention how you personally play, but also assume in the same post that every single person plays like that?

I rarely use it - sometimes spiking in chaotic environments, or approaching the enemy in the dark - and personally feel like its a crutch. It isn't training you to better your target acquisition.. it just makes it so when you turn it off (or go marines) that you were used to that aid.

But I realize that's my personal preference and playstyle and does not reflect everyone else's.

And as for other reasons not to use it in it's current form, there's a list of why, but mostly it all boils down to less situational awareness. Here's just a few:
    ^...and not seeing flashlights, scans, flames, whether power is off, ...someone else carry on.
    (dont forget seeing your own weapon usage like BB)

Edit: And YES to that Alien vision mod from @Paajtor .. that thing is a beauty

I assume, not unreasonably, that a new or casual player such as myself, would, when faced with the obvious difficulty of competing in the game, and the profound lack of enjoyability the game has if you can't compete effectively, use whatever possible advantage they can in order to be able to enjoy the game.

If you can manage without alien vision, yes, I've no doubt the game is more fun, but if you aren't prepared to put the hours in to practice without alien vision, you're far more likely to just turn it on and never turn it off, because it makes the game playable. Without it, marines are harder to see, you're more likely to get shot, it's hard to tell important things apart from the environment, and the game is just generally not very fun because it's quite hard to play.

Yes it is entirely a crutch, but it's a crutch that is very very useful, unless you deliberately avoid using it, you will use it all the time. Saying this is an unreasonable generalization is a little like saying that 'everyone uses a mouse and keyboard' is an unreasonable generalization because some people may choose to play the game with a gamepad using input mapping software. Yes I'm sure you can play the game like that, but it is unlikely that you would choose to do so unless you have a specific reason to, because it would just make the game arbitrarily harder and less fun in most cases.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    The night vision effect is cool, but it should not be the only way to get high contrast vision of your enemies. Marines and structures should have some sort of visual effect at all times IMO and you should only have to activate night vision to see in the dark.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Alien vision is really useful.
    I played the first 50 or so hours only using it when the lights went out, and then I was like "Why would I not have this on?"
    Pretty much the only time I don't use it is when I've just spawned and/or I haven't selected my evos yet, or never.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    When I'm hiding in a dark spot, I tend to disable alien vision so I can see the marine flashlights.
    edited April 2013
    IronHorse wrote: »
    There's very little reason to turn it off so I tend to play the entire game like that.
    You mention how you personally play, but also assume in the same post that every single person plays like that?

I rarely use it - sometimes spiking in chaotic environments, or approaching the enemy in the dark - and personally feel like its a crutch. It isn't training you to better your target acquisition.. it just makes it so when you turn it off (or go marines) that you were used to that aid.

But I realize that's my personal preference and playstyle and does not reflect everyone else's.

And as for other reasons not to use it in it's current form, there's a list of why, but mostly it all boils down to less situational awareness. Here's just a few:
    ^...and not seeing flashlights, scans, flames, whether power is off, ...someone else carry on.
    (dont forget seeing your own weapon usage like BB)

Edit: And YES to that Alien vision mod from @Paajtor .. that thing is a beauty

I assume, not unreasonably, that a new or casual player such as myself, would, when faced with the obvious difficulty of competing in the game, and the profound lack of enjoyability the game has if you can't compete effectively, use whatever possible advantage they can in order to be able to enjoy the game.

If you can manage without alien vision, yes, I've no doubt the game is more fun, but if you aren't prepared to put the hours in to practice without alien vision, you're far more likely to just turn it on and never turn it off, because it makes the game playable. Without it, marines are harder to see, you're more likely to get shot, it's hard to tell important things apart from the environment, and the game is just generally not very fun because it's quite hard to play.

Yes it is entirely a crutch, but it's a crutch that is very very useful, unless you deliberately avoid using it, you will use it all the time. Saying this is an unreasonable generalization is a little like saying that 'everyone uses a mouse and keyboard' is an unreasonable generalization because some people may choose to play the game with a gamepad using input mapping software. Yes I'm sure you can play the game like that, but it is unlikely that you would choose to do so unless you have a specific reason to, because it would just make the game arbitrarily harder and less fun in most cases.

i don't think that's entirely true.

personally, i want to use every available crutch - because i maximize my enjoyment through playing well (not necessarily winning). but i find myself switching alien vision on and off frequently, and not just to see the 'beautiful graphics' because naturally i've got it set to minimum for max fps.

i can't tell you every reason why i switch it on and off, because i don't think about it - i just do it automatically. off the cuff, i find that the alien vision 'orange' highlight has limited range before marines become INVISIBLE, you can't see light/darkness and approximate your own visibility, and it's more difficult to judge distance/trajectory when the floors/walls are 'shrouded' by green. basically what i'm saying is that both vision modes have distinct advantages.
  • SixtyWattManSixtyWattMan Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31404Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Why has this even turned into a discussion, I'm talking about the "on or off on start, oh no I don't want it on/off"

If this would be implemented, just make it a toggle option in the menu. Would solve your "problems" either side of this thread...

Just press F.
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    Also:
    To the people saying it's hard to tell if you're being scanned/in an observatories range with Alien vision on:

Your teeth/claws/horn/tongue are outlined in blue.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    off the cuff, i find that the alien vision 'orange' highlight has limited range before marines become INVISIBLE,

I've been playing for awhile and I have never witnessed invisible marines even at great distances using alien vision.
    you can't see light/darkness and approximate your own visibility,
    Honestly, you should treat all dark areas as lighted regardless. This is because many people, especially competitive players or people who like to be competitive, turn up their gamma or have that monitor(s) that have the BenQ feature.
    and it's more difficult to judge distance/trajectory when the floors/walls are 'shrouded' by green. basically what i'm saying is that both vision modes have distinct advantages.

Interesting, never hard of anyone say that. I can judge distances just the same with or without alien vision.

Another person above said they turn off alien vision to see marine flashlights. You can actually see marine flashlights with alien vision on still.

You also can see if you are on scanned/in obs range easily with alien vision on still.

There is no advantage to having alien vision off like you suggest.

• GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Res wrote: »
    I've been playing for awhile and I have never witnessed invisible marines even at great distances using alien vision.
    it happens quite commonly on crevice / north->south tunnels where the distance is high enough

there are slight disadvantages but they are basically game bugs and aren't "real" disadvantages, they're just signs of an incomplete UI
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    thats due to the relevancy distance. when an entity is more than 40 meters away, the server wont propagate updates of it anymore to you and it gets destroyed on the client.
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members

So much for the much promised casual modability of the game that was supposed to come with lua.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members

So much for the much promised casual modability of the game that was supposed to come with lua.

That and I don't think anybody is very interested in making mods for the game.
  • GlissGliss Join Date: 2003-03-23 Member: 14800Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2013
    Sewlek wrote: »
    thats due to the relevancy distance. when an entity is more than 40 meters away, the server wont propagate updates of it anymore to you and it gets destroyed on the client.
    right. so, my original point was the "downsides" of alien vision are at worst bugs and at best perceived to be bugs

• hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    Whilst I agree and understand what/why savant is suggesting this it could just lead to these players not knowing how to turn it off and getting pwned even more as they are not aware of light levels.

Whilst it may be ambitious perhaps have the game trigger alien vision and leaving it on for say 5 sec whilst a brief text comes up (not dissimilar to having game tips information).
    This would run one time on a steam id, almost like a cinematic cut away that you only have to put up with once.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    Game has tips in rookie mode...

"press F for alien vision"

*Presses F*

Gets a check mark and has learned about the F button doing stuff and they will soon learn that it has some drawbacks

Seriously, how stupid do we think new players are these days. Give them a little credit :-?

[edit]
    Ooh, apparently a few dashes spawns ^ those horizontal lines...
  • hakenspithakenspit Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75300Members
    People might not read them or realise what it is/does....you can never under estimate how lazy/stupid some people are.

Relying on them hitting f do know that the feature is there is only half doing the job.

By having it change the actual view for them also is not that big a difference on the face of it but if my screen suddenly goes funny I know I will pay more attention to the message that pops up.

"You can never make something idiot proof, as idiots are so ingenious"
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Well... The game is called Natural Selection, nudge nudge, wink wink
    Res wrote: »
    tarquinbb wrote: »
    off the cuff, i find that the alien vision 'orange' highlight has limited range before marines become INVISIBLE,

you can't see light/darkness and approximate your own visibility,
    Honestly, you should treat all dark areas as lighted regardless. This is because many people, especially competitive players or people who like to be competitive, turn up their gamma or have that monitor(s) that have the BenQ feature.
    and it's more difficult to judge distance/trajectory when the floors/walls are 'shrouded' by green. basically what i'm saying is that both vision modes have distinct advantages.

Interesting, never hard of anyone say that. I can judge distances just the same with or without alien vision.

Another person above said they turn off alien vision to see marine flashlights. You can actually see marine flashlights with alien vision on still.

You also can see if you are on scanned/in obs range easily with alien vision on still.

There is no advantage to having alien vision off like you suggest.

it sounds like your alien vision is different to mine.
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    Gliss wrote: »
    right. so, my original point was the "downsides" of alien vision are at worst bugs and at best perceived to be bugs

The 40 meter vision cut off happens regardless of whether you are using alien vision or regular vision.
    Robotix wrote: »

The 40 meter vision cut off happens regardless of whether you are using alien vision or regular vision.

45m
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    Kouji_San wrote: »

45m

I don't know who to believe any more.
    edited April 2013

that's not the point.
  • CowMeatCowMeat Join Date: 2013-03-02 Member: 183557Members
    I think aliens should have one vision mode: outlines a) red around enemies, b) orange around enemy structures, c) blue around aliens, and d) purple around alien structures.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    I don't use alien vision, I can't see anything. No problem tracking with it off, I use it of course for mines or lights out.

Gliss Vision on the other hand is play withable constantly, in a much more fluid way. The edge highlighting is op
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Alien vision is a fugly green monstrosity. It has no significant disadvantage (only one minor is that holes in the glass are invisible), so it's always on. It kills the game visuals.

It's similar to predator vision modes in AvP - great in theory, horrible in practice.