Future

Xenomorph94Xenomorph94 Join Date: 2013-04-08 Member: 184707Members
just recently purchased NS2 and am having great fun, i just wanted to ask are any new alien classes or marine weapons being made? i know it takes a lot of work, especially balancing classes, i just wanted to know if anything is planned for either aliens or marine. thankyou

Comments

• FuleFule Join Date: 2009-06-04 Member: 67683Members
    I'm pretty sure that there will be no new classes, but not sure about weapons - weapons could be possible.
  • BurdockBurdock Join Date: 2012-08-27 Member: 156553Members
    I know there has been I high level of interest in new lifeforms about the community. So I would not count it out!
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited April 2013
    I've read a lot of ideas for new lifeform classes, but none that convince me its actually needed.

What role is lacking for aliens to warrant a completely new lifeform? Pretty much any single new ability can be tacked on to one of the current lifeforms.

I'm sure they have in the works new abilities/evolutions for aliens, and new weapons/items for marines, but a new alien lifeform class is probably not going to happen, imho.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    So we have this on aliens:

Skulk, main combat unit (support combat unit end game), ambush stalker, stucture destroyer
    Gorge, builder, healing support, medium area denial, structure destroyer
    Lerk, harasser, damage reduction support, minor area denial
    Fade, allround hit and run assassin, minor crowd control
    Onos, ground based tank, structure destroyer, heavy crowd control

Which raises the question, which ability is needed and if needed do we need a new alien for it.
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As of right now, there doesn't seem to be anything of that level in the works. Probably the alien classes will stay the same, and so will marine weapons. There might be some new content added down the line but for right now they're mainly importing some smaller balance changes over from Sewlek's mod.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Please no new life forms, the ones we have and what they do are just fine. (Fades too weak though :()
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited April 2013
    OutlawDr wrote: »
    I've read a lot of ideas for new lifeform classes, but none that convince me its actually needed.

What role is lacking for aliens to warrant a completely new lifeform? Pretty much any single new ability can be tacked on to one of the current lifeforms.

I'm sure they have in the works new abilities/evolutions for aliens, and new weapons/items for marines, but a new alien lifeform class is probably not going to happen, imho.

Well, a new lifeform class would not have to revolutionize existing ones but could be more of a sidegrade. If you'd consider the Fade to be more the hit & run offense lifeform then there could be a different lifeform in the 50 res area that is more defensively orientated, can take some hits without retreating but might be lacking the offensive capabilities.*

It would also bring more variety in the combination of lifeforms you fight with and against instead of just seeing a whole lot of Fades and Onos in the lategame if the team can afford them. And maybe people just want a little new stuff in that regard in general for aliens compared to NS1.

*I made for instance the suggestion of such a lifeform as one that relies heavily on infestation (is slow, can't use it's abilities and takes damage while being off it), utilizes primarily short ranged attacks and thus can only act as defense in territory that the aliens control or relies on some synergy with the commander to get an infestation foothold when attempting an attack.

Surely a new lifeform isn't something they have planned for the near future, but who knows what kind of new stuff we might see at some point depending on how long NS2 will be actively supported from official side.
  • Xenomorph94Xenomorph94 Join Date: 2013-04-08 Member: 184707Members

hey im back, thanks for the info guys, i got mixed messages from this thread so i will hope for new lifeforms, even then they can add other things like new alien upgrades or buildings there are a whole range of things that could be done, but im really happy with the game right now so i will be patient
    i have an idea in the same vein as crushak, they dont have to even be completely new they can be sub species of the existing life forms branching off into new playstyles i just want a little more variety you know? we only have 5 aliens.
    i dont know what to do with marines, i guess more types of mech?

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2013
    Marine weapons give them the "classes" ;)

Also alien abilities and evolutions are their variety. A Silence Skulk plays much more different then a Camouflage Skulk for example. Same goes for Adrenaline vs Celerity and Carapace vs Regen

The variety in NS(2) comes from their weapons, abilities and evolutions.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Please no new life forms, the ones we have and what they do are just fine. (Fades too weak though :()
    As a fade, I can die to single marine. As a marine, we can't take out one good fade with 4 people. I guess fades are not weak, it just takes skill and good fps.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    No it's not that, it get's to a point where equally skilled players with shotguns vs fades will win, 2 shot kills are too quick and even the best can't always avoid it.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Fades are downright impossible for me to kill, and yet when I become a Fade I die instantly. I'm not sure what to feel about that, besides rage.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    i know some people who are very good fades, when i am khamming them, i get them fade eggs ASAP
    I do the same with our beast l0rks, why? winning tactic.
  • TimariusTimarius Join Date: 2012-11-15 Member: 171220Members
    Since we started talking about Fades, I would like to say that, as a decent Fade player, I use regen and regularly kill groups of 3-4 marines alone with smart shadow stepping and retreating. The only problem I have with the Fade extends to all of the alien classes... armories that heal armor.

Teach these newbies who didn't play NS1 how to use a welder, already! Grumble, grumble!
  • FrothybeverageFrothybeverage Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13593Members
    If fades were buffed I'd hate to see my scores, I already consistently go 4:1(If not more) as a fade until late game.
    edited April 2013
    That's because people suck at shooting, balance shouldn't be based around player skill. I also go around 4:1 but when I do die, it's because of a surprise explosion of damage from 2-3 shotguns, rarely because I hung around longer than I should have.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    While I realize that it can sometimes be hard to think of new distinct roles, there have been many games (ie sequels) that have done exactly that when I thought it impossible, so I wouldn't exactly count it out.
  • 2d0x2d0x Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184030Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited April 2013
    Timarius wrote: »
    as a decent Fade player, I use regen and regularly kill groups of 3-4 marines alone with smart shadow stepping and retreating
    Seriously? These, "3-4 marine players", are using default rifles, with weapon 1\armor 1 upgrades, and playing worse than "average" players? Otherwise, I just do not understand how this is possible.
    I am playing on the English Official "GamingDeluxe" servers for 16 players (despite the fact that the server is "rookie friendly", in average, the players playing very well, and know what to do and how to kill), and in 95% of cases if I meet group of 3-4 marines, which have at least 1\2 weapon\armor upgrades, and some of this guys using a shotgun and know how to use it, I'll be dead in a few seconds, without any opportunity to do anything. Because I need:
    *1-2 seconds to get closer to my enemy
    *i have to hit the target (even without missing hits) about 3-4 times with my claw to kill 1 marine, this is ~2-3 seconds
    *then i need 1-2 seconds to run away and hide*
    *and then i have to wait couple of seconds to "leave battle", so my regenerate start working
    *and i need wait 5-15 seconds to heal myself, and repeat attack on group of marines ... which is likely to be ready for my attack, and will be fully healed (if I failed kill to kill anyone).
    So in my experience, these attacks, in such circumstances, it is absolutely useless. The situation can change only if I am not alone, or there is less than the specified number of enemies.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    2d0x wrote: »
    as a decent Fade player, I use regen and regularly kill groups of 3-4 marines alone with smart shadow stepping and retreating
    Seriously? These, "3-4 marine players", are using default rifles, with weapon 1\armor 1 upgrades, and playing worse than "average" players? Otherwise, I just do not understand how this is possible.
    I am playing on the English Official "GamingDeluxe" servers for 16 players (despite the fact that the server is "rookie friendly", in average, the players playing very well, and know what to do and how to kill), and in 95% of cases if I meet group of 3-4 marines, which have at least 1\2 weapon\armor upgrades, and some of this guys using a shotgun and know how to use it, I'll be dead in a few seconds, without any opportunity to do anything. Because I need:
    *i have to hit the target (even without missing hits) about 3-4 times with my claw to kill 1 marine, this is ~2-3 seconds
    *and then i have to wait couple of seconds to "leave battle", so my regenerate start working
    *and i need wait 5-15 seconds to heal myself, and repeat attack on group of marines ... which is likely to be ready for my attack, and will be fully healed (if I failed kill to kill anyone).
    So in my experience, these attacks, in such circumstances, it is absolutely useless. The situation can change only if I am not alone, or there is less than the specified number of enemies.

One alien player keeping 3-4 marine players busy? I wouldn't call that useless.
    Too bad whenever you happen to do that your team camps hives.
  • 2d0x2d0x Join Date: 2013-03-16 Member: 184030Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Squishpoke wrote: »
    One alien player keeping 3-4 marine players busy? I wouldn't call that useless.
    Hmm, you're right. But still the risk is too great, the shotgun is not forgiving :)
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    No it's not that, it get's to a point where equally skilled players with shotguns vs fades will win, 2 shot kills are too quick and even the best can't always avoid it.

Untrue, since in comp games the point aliens get fades is usually the point aliens start dominating the game, unless the marines have already teched to W2-3, A2-3 jetpacks. After that, it tends to be a rather fair fight.

2d0x wrote: »

I play on servers hosted on the west coast of the US. When I say I take on 3-4 marines alone, I mean in a decently open enough area that allows me to duck through and around them with shadow step. Now, there are very easy ways to do this. Shadow step behind them, turn, hit, repeat. Blink above them, shadow step down, hit, repeat.

But when dealing with a shotgun, the best tactic is the step to the side until you hear the first shot go off, then time your dodges for when the gun is ready to fire again.

But when dealing with the 3-4 I deal with often, it's not always about killing them. Holding them there long enough to allow reinforcements to arrive or to save a hive is the best feeling ever.

And now to reveal my horrible secret... dun dun DUNNNNN! I'm an adrenaline/silence/regeneration Fade. Now you know my horrible secret!
  • Xenomorph94Xenomorph94 Join Date: 2013-04-08 Member: 184707Members
    well im glad to see this thread has gone completely off topic
    but fades are fine the way they are they are a stealth class for gods sake, hit and run is what they are they are for distracting a group or killing 1 or 2 marines, they are great for attacking newly built bases too, they dont need extra health, this is coming from a noob who loves fades
    Hit and Run doesn't work against armory entrenchments.
    well im glad to see this thread has gone completely off topic
    but fades are fine the way they are they are a stealth class for gods sake, hit and run is what they are they are for distracting a group or killing 1 or 2 marines, they are great for attacking newly built bases too, they dont need extra health, this is coming from a noob who loves fades

Well, when a good portion of the thread is people pointing out that the Workshop currently solves this issue outside of it being seen in first person spec by everyone else, there's not that much left to discuss.

An unfortunate truth.
  • kalakujakalakuja Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159045Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter
    They probably add more useless features and forget all the working competetive features in ns1 while trying to implement more public cod stuff.
    2.0 will tell
  • ImpatientJediImpatientJedi Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183870Members
    Add more maps, NS1 classic maps and new ones.
  • TheriusTherius Join Date: 2009-03-06 Member: 66642Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter

They don't need to. Keeping marines still is a victory.

edited April 2013
    Not always, simply keeping marines in 2 bases/forward positions doesn't win a game, if they pump out enough arcs/exos.