What is your favorite map and why?

yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
What is it about your favorite map that make it your favorite?

Personally...I want to say docking is my favorite. I love the bar aspect. I'm a huge fan of breakbeat so that really steals the show for me. (The decent club is beyond awesome bring back the music!!!!)

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In order:

1) Summit

2) Docking

3) Descent

4) Refinery

5) Mineshaft

6) Tram

7) Veil

I like Summit the best because the layout just lets me go pretty much anywhere I want to go. I'm not a fan of maps with a lot of walking or wandering paths *cough*veil*cough*.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Dawking. Aesthetics and I generally like the layout.
  • GeekavengerGeekavenger Join Date: 2012-08-31 Member: 157117Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Tram is my favorite to play on. the layout is fairly simple, I think that is why. Good flanking vents as aliens, big rooms for marines, just feels fun on both sides.
    When I Comm, I prefer Summit, and when I Khaam I prefer Docking. Don't really know why on either of those.

Overall I love all the maps though, even the much maligned veil (excluding Alien Pipeline start, I hate that).
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    1) Docking

2) Summit

3) Descent

4) Tram

5) Mineshaft

6) Refinery

7) Veil
    Dawking. Aesthetics and I generally like the layout.

^

Docking usually has fun games.
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Tram, Summit, Veil, Descent, Descent, Refinery, Docking, Mineshaft.
  • MkollMkoll Join Date: 2013-02-11 Member: 182996Members
    ns_bast! it's got the whole Nostromo thing going on ...
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    1. Veil (shut up, it's the best :P)
    2. Tram
    3. Descent
    4. Docking
    5. Summit

I try not to ever play on mineshaft or refinery because they suck
  • DustehDusteh Join Date: 2011-07-25 Member: 112142Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Summit
    Tram
    Mineshaft
    Docking
    Veil
    Descent
    Refinery
  • 1dominator11dominator1 Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75011Members
    edited April 2013
    Docking and descent seem to yield the most fun games for me.

Summit is like the training wheels on a child's bicycle, grow up damnit! Were past that!
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    summit, veil, in that order, least favorite is descent, mine shaft and refinery. I like maps with no horrendous starts, docking is ok. descent is too new for me to like it yet, and refinery has issues. mindshare is killed by cave start.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I like veil, summit and descent the most.
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Mindsharft.
    Espeshuly now that deposit has been fixed.
    Why? It's the only map where EVERY room (or cavern, in this case) is entirely different from the last, and requires 100% changes in strategy once you enter it.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    In order (for pub games):

1) Summit (Most balanced)

2) Tram (All round good map, fairly balanced)

3) Docking (Decent size but not cramped like veil)

4) Refinery (Bad map but ok on pubs)

5) Descent (Kinda put this here because I don't care for it, but Veil is worse (in pubs))

6) Veil (Bad in pubs)

7) Mineshaft (FUCK I HATE MINESHAFT)

(Thanks for the copy paste Squish)
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    I love me some mineshaft. Every other map is a good meh feeling to it (except veil, veils okay)
  • ijustpwnedu96ijustpwnedu96 Join Date: 2013-01-27 Member: 182320Members
    1. Summit (Balanced)
    2. Descent (Big map)
    3. Mineshaft
    4. Refinery
    5. Docking (In favor of Marine victory)
    6. Veil (Tech points too far away from Marines)
    7. Tram (Crammed and small)
  • OnosFactoryOnosFactory New Zealand Join Date: 2008-07-16 Member: 64637Members
    Mineshaft, even more so since it recieved the recent love ... you never know how it's going to go.
  • NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2013
    Summit
    Tram

Most balanced maps in the game imo. Find them most fun to play as well. I like the visuals of docking and descent very much, but they don't play as well. Mineshaft and refinery don't really appeal that much to me on either the visual or gameplay aspects. Veil I have a love-hate relationship with (pipe spawn). :)

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    1) Summit
    2) Veil - pipeline needs route fixes for aliens (this is already being fixed). I like it because I don't get lost like the other maps, its all familiar :D

3) Tram
    4) Docking
    5) Others
  • XariusXarius Join Date: 2003-12-21 Member: 24630Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Tram
    Summit
    Descent
    Veil
    Docking

Mineshaft and Refinery (Spaced out from the rest because I absolutely hate playing on both)
    i'm seeing a lot of love for summit... which makes me wonder why i'm the only one who ever votes for it?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Summit and it's descendent Descent

Superior balance
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Refinery - Because it's so much fun and looks incredible. The contrast of the greens, blues, and oranges... The risk of death when Lerking in Lava Falls... The slightly smaller size bringing everyone together.
  • current1ycurrent1y Join Date: 2003-12-08 Member: 24150Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2013
    Have to say mineshaft or veil for pubs. Mineshaft Is just flat out fun and a good map to kill shit on. I like viel because it rewards teamwork and highlights the importance of winning engagements more so then any other map imo.
  • ShakerShaker Join Date: 2002-11-21 Member: 9582Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've always really enjoyed pub games on Docking and Descent purely because of the clean aesthetics. I think tram has the most interesting strategy in comp play.

• irEricirEric Join Date: 2012-11-20 Member: 172615Members
    edited April 2013
    Veil. It has a level of uniqueness far from other maps. 4 tech points, absence of central highway (hub, courtyard, crossroads), and a double. Pipeline spawn has been pretty bad lately though
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited April 2013
    1) Summit (nsl ver)
    2) tram (nsl ver)
    3) mineshaft
    4) veil (nsl ver)
    5) refinery
    6) docking
    7) descent (any ver)
    Hugh wrote: »
    Refinery - Because it's so much fun and looks incredible. The contrast of the greens, blues, and oranges... The risk of death when Lerking in Lava Falls... The slightly smaller size bringing everyone together.

i get everything else, but what risk of death? you mean falling into the lava?... i have to admit, same as for summit, until i get blink on a fade... i avoid certain rooms on certain maps.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    amoral wrote: »
    Hugh wrote: »

i get everything else, but what risk of death? you mean falling into the lava?...
    Any kind of crevice vs Hugh is an issue, fill it up with molten iron and you're just asking for trouble :P
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    1. tram
    2. summit
    3. veil
    4. docking
    5. decent (because its new)
    6. refinery
    7. mineshaft
  • yuckfooyuckfoo Join Date: 2012-11-08 Member: 168216Members
    Mineshaft, even more so since it received the recent love ... you never know how it's going to go.
    I am a big fan of the reworked deposit tech point. [no more arcs in central yay!!]

One other welcome change I was happy to see are the rts not just being at ground level in central drilling. I believe more maps should take advantage of this idea at their double res node locations.....it sure makes for much better battles as well as much better defensive capabilities against whichever team is attacking that area.