More out of the same texture (Quadratic Texture Alignment)

JoseppeJoseppe Join Date: 2012-01-21 Member: 141497Members
edited April 2013 in Mapping
just noticed:
*maybe it adds a versatile use of the same textures
*can be used to any "not quadratic" texture to get a quadratic look

standard alignment:
vxUm3ja.jpg

quadratic alignment:
iBwxP7Q.jpg
behind the scenes:
W8KwFiP.jpg

Comments

• MyOwnOwnerMyOwnOwner Join Date: 2010-01-09 Member: 70006Members
    I was using this stuff in mapping with worldcraft/hammer.

Back in the days, you tried to limit the amount of textures used (also the amount of entities cause of the 255 entity limit. 32 spawns + 4 joining entities in RR, 16 spawns +1 CC, 3 hives each with 16 spawns, around 10 RTs... already 114+ entities already, and you still need more for level geometric/cosmetic stuff like func_illusionarys + clip brush for catwalks and so on...), to make it faster to load, more fluent to play, etc.

Long story: Its not new to "recycle" textures like that, but the way you use it looks great :) (And due to the current desktop PCs performance + Less engine limitations, i totally forgot about these old technics :) )
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    275 entity limit, also func_illusionary and clipbrush didn't count towards runtime entities :P

We definitely need a more extensive texture tool, the current implementation is cute but its also driving me nuts. I'd love to see edge blending to make those smooth curves looks super sexy. I was an avid user of cutting up textures in the editor to make the most use out of them and create a different look as well. Texture tool from Hammer would be a welcome addition (treat as one, align to world/face, proper texture lock when flipping geometry etc...)
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    I heard recently that one of the UWE team members was taking an extra pass on the editor, and texture alignment was one of the things I asked for them to look at, though I should have added WORKING texture lock.