Random "Garbled" Mic Issue

princessprincess Yaaar!Bristol Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31605Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
I have recently been having a microphone issue. Randomly during a game my mic will suddenly become distorted, muffled and undecipherable to other players. I can fix it by going into options and swapping my mic output to either Stereo or Mono - depending on which one I am on at the time. Sometimes ths happens from when I first load up the game and join a server. Sometimes it happens mid-game. Sometimes it happens after a map change.

This is not the same as the "Join via Steam friends" bug.

It's been suggested that packet loss is causing it. This would make sense seeing as my packet loss has been awful, but that's been an ISP issue for me for months and months and this issue has only just started happening since the latest update. It is also odd how switching it from stereo to mono (or vice versa) will immediately fix the mic issue, but my packet loss is still the same.

Ideas for a fix on a postcard please :)

Comments

• GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    If you are using voice activated and dosnt speak for for a moment, some drivers will turn the output up, becouse of the silence, so next time youll speak its set to max. And thues distorting the sound. - Atleast thats my experience - Its a easy fix thoe, set it to push to talk, and then ajust the output/input volumes.
    If that dosnt help i dont know that to do (not a techy)
  • halfofaheavenhalfofaheaven Join Date: 2012-11-09 Member: 168660Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Gold
    Turn down mic boost in your soundcard drivers.
  • princessprincess Yaaar! Bristol Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31605Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Not using push-to-talk. Will try that dirty German's advice in the post above.
  • princessprincess Yaaar! Bristol Join Date: 2004-09-11 Member: 31605Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Nevermind, looks like its an issue with my mic as turning it off and on again also seems to fix it. Classic IT fix.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Ty for posting your fix, too ;-)