Lerk spikes vs exo .. damage per spike is way too high!

joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
Not sure how many times this has been covered, but good lord its insane how fast a couple lerks can safely take out an exo from a distance. The Lerk spikes should quite obviously be considered a "light" damage and therefore should do significantly reduced damage against marines armor and exos since they are entirely armor.

I can see why people might get all hot in the pants if the spike damage was heavily reduced against marine armor.. because right now the marine vs lerk fight is fairly balanced.. but seriously, go try this out - get in a dual exo and have a skilled lerk spike you, and watch as your armor goes down almost as fast as if a skulk were biting at your feet! Not to mention, the exo is so huge that the lerk can easily hide around corners and graded environments and pick off the exos feet / hands / top of head and the exo literally can do nothing about it, aside from hoping his team mates are welding the crap out of him or jetpacking after the lerk. A skilled lerk with regen can EASILY take down a skilled dual exo from a safe distance 100% of the time. Does that really sound right to anyone? And since I am familiar with the crowd on here, let me point out that usually I am the Lerk killing the exos - so no, I am not a noob who is umadbro because my exo got broked. . but for the few times I do try to go exo, I immediately see how impossible it is to defeat a good lerk given the slow speed, huge size and poor ranged accuracy of the exo, combined with the insane amount of damage spikes cause to the exo.

I'm not sure why the devs decided to up the damage in one of the recent patches but its ridiculous. Please fix this.

Comments

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2013
    Working as intented as far as I'm concerned. I don't see it as a problem. Oh, and in what recent patch did they up the lerk spike damage?
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Sure if you are taking a exo 1on1. Exos aren't meant to be taken by marines to go solo something.

As what mostly happens, I'd rather have the lerk spore out around the exo instead so his welder teammates don't keep him healed up while the other players take out the Exos.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Sounds more like you're angry you keep getting spiked when you run off alone as exo...

Its not a problem IMO.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    lerks have tracers to easily spot them. Start spreading fire in its general direction? :p
  • sumo0sumo0 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164543Members
    edited April 2013
    Most of the time: If the lerk can shoot at you you can also shoot at the lerk.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Gets killed by lerk as exo.

Posts rage thread in forums.

Working as intended?

(Sorry I don't normally post like this, but the last time I took down an exo single-handedly as lerk was back in the release week. Fun times.)
  • Blarney_StoneBlarney_Stone Join Date: 2013-03-08 Member: 183808Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Industry wrote: »
    Considering exos are extremely unfun to play against in my opinion, I see no problems here.

I can't tell you how much I would enjoy the combat mod if they removed exos and onos from it
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    Roobubba wrote: »
    Gets killed by lerk as exo.

Posts rage thread in forums.

Working as intended?

(Sorry I don't normally post like this, but the last time I took down an exo single-handedly as lerk was back in the release week. Fun times.)

I once soloed 3 Dual minigun exos as a Lerk just spiking them. Fun times.
  • FrustrationFrustration Join Date: 2013-01-19 Member: 180628Members
    Did any of you even read his damn post ?

He said he was Lerk shooting the exos.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I did.. just stating the exo should have put some gunfire in his lerk ass. :)
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited April 2013
    Or the rail gun. It's cheaper and if you can aim well deadly to a lerk.

EDIT: also faster than two minigun...
  • SleekSleek Join Date: 2013-02-01 Member: 182709Members
    joederp wrote: »
    ...I immediately see how impossible it is to defeat a good lerk given the slow speed, huge size and poor ranged accuracy of the exo...

Personally I love it when a lerk thinks they are out of range.... wrrrllwrrrlllwrrrrllwrrllwrrlwrlwrlwrl......PEW! .........splat.

Exo poor ranged accuracy....nope.
  • MrPinkMrPink Join Date: 2002-05-28 Member: 678Members
    miniguns are surprisingly accurate
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    GORGEous wrote: »
    Considering exos are extremely unfun to play against in my opinion, I see no problems here.

I can't tell you how much I would enjoy the combat mod if they removed exos and onos from it

Yeah... Combat is a joke once the exos and onos start rolling. It really takes most of the "skill" out of the equation that combat is supposed to be focusing on. I'm pretty sure I would enjoy NS2 a lot more in general if both exos and onos were removed. Specially in public games.

Totally agreed about Combat. RIP short period where they were gone :(
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Well for one let's not berate the guy and call him "Bad" or a "Noob" however that being said, it's still rather difficult to go down to a lerk unless you're by yourself and not receiving any support from your teammates and that's only in extenuating circumstances. Under normal conditions within a space with minimal cover for a lerk to pop in an out of, a lerk is pretty much instantly dead to any aware exo.

So really maybe relook into the situation you were in at the time when you died to a lerk...

were there multiple lerks shooting at you?
    Were you trying to take him down from a super long distance?
    Did you utilize proper cover to avoid lerk spikes?
    Were you supported by your teammates?
    Did you back out of a situation that put you at a disadvantage?

There are a huge number of factors to why you or anyone may die to a lerk, it's extreme difficult to die to a lerk when you're playing an exo as long as you maintain awareness.
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    There is one unclear thing though. Lerk spikes, Fade sweep and Onos gore are listed in the wiki (might be outdated) as "puncture" damage type, which is defined as "doing 25% more damage to players". Does that include exos? Becuase I would imagine spikes being effective against a soft, fleshy type of target, not against an armored, steel behemoth.

If the bonus applies for exos, it should be removed.

The other thing to consider is that exos do not have life points, only armor, and puncture attacks do only half damage against armor (again, according to that wiki).
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    Kamamura wrote: »
    There is one unclear thing though. Lerk spikes, Fade sweep and Onos gore are listed in the wiki (might be outdated) as "puncture" damage type, which is defined as "doing 25% more damage to players". Does that include exos? Becuase I would imagine spikes being effective against a soft, fleshy type of target, not against an armored, steel behemoth.

The other thing to consider is that exos do not have life points, only armor, and puncture attacks do only half damage against armor (again, according to that wiki).

Puncture damage type is used to balance player damage vs structure damage. Arguably, it is better seen as a way to nerf damage vs structures rather than being seen as a boost vs players - how much damage you do against players is the most important thing, so it's balanced from there.

Both the Fade and the Lerk uses this to penalize their structure DPS.

That Onos Gore uses puncture damage is probably a historical artefact from way back when Gore and Smash was two different attacks - well, they still are, its just that Gore is never used against structures (it automatically translates to Smash instead), so it could just raise the base damage and do normal damage instead - if less confusion is desired.

• StoneburgStoneburg Join Date: 2002-11-11 Member: 8174Members
    If the problem described in the OP was a reality, I'd expect to see exos dropping to lerks a lot and more than one person on the forum complaining about it. I guess 3-4 lerks wirth regen working together could take out a single exo pretty quick, but then again that is 3-4 players and 90-120 res against 1 player and 50-75 res.

Lerk is my favorite class and I play it a lot. Yes, I sometimes manage to take down an exo with spikes, but almost always as part of a team effort with several other lifeforms involved. In fact I think that exos of all kinds is a pretty hard counter against lerks. When exos are on the field, my lerk play has to change significantly. I either have to keep distance AND stay close to cover, or go in only when there is a fair amount of team mates attacking at the same time. My view is that lerk play goes through three pretty distinct phases:

Before shotguns - Lerk is the king of the map. You can usually take down 2 marines with no backup, I think I've lost (as in had to retreat, not die) once or twice against solo marines since I started playing lerk a lot. Unless a room has 4 or more marines you can pretty comfortably go in, knowing you'll be able to get away if you take too much damage. Bite is my primary attack in this period. (Here I like regen/cele for upgrades)

After shotguns - Now I have to turn down the aggression and keep the distance. Solo marines or groups with no shotguns will still get bitten, but more time will be spent softening up or finishing marines from a distance. Spike is now my most used weapon. (Now I prefer cara/cele)

After exos - Now I'm relegated to more of a support role, or taking down solo marines who are attacking res nodes or trying to ninja hives/upgrades/phasegates. I'm either staying at a distance softening up exos while other players attack, or going in to spore welders/bases and obscure the marines vision/distract. Spores will be the most common method of attack at this point. (Here I'd go cara/adren)

I think I've taken down a solo exo by myself two or maybe three times, and that is exclusively when he's wandered off alone. And it's never been one of the good players on the servers. Partly because they usually don't wander off with an exo, and partly because if you have good aim, a lerk won't be able to take you down. And if the exo starts getting low, he can usually manage to retreat around a corner and back to a base, since it's close to suicide to try and chase him into an enclosed area.

In theory I think a regen lerk can take down a bad or average exo assuming there is no intervention. Because yes, you can pop out and deal some damage then retreat and heal up. If the exo has no backup, he will eventually go down assuming he doesn't retreat or get lucky. But in a scenario where he won't retreat or get welded, you can do the same with a gorge spitting or even a skulk parasiting, given enough time. If those situations occur often to you as a lerk, it seems like you're playing against some weird marines. If you're the one in the exo suit, I suggest you change your tactics.
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited April 2013
    37164721.jpg

Seriously though, I think its fine how it is at the moment.
  • Reason85Reason85 Join Date: 2013-04-21 Member: 184928Members
    Dont see anything vs an exo standing a chance/being to good. Exos are the most deadly units in the game, granted they neeed backup/welders but even pub servers people backup exos. This could possibly be an issue if Lerk spikes had no tracer, but they have one now, one thats way to extreme imo. Aliens ahve very little usable ways to counter exos, bile bomb only really is doable if you can hide behind something and arc it, can hit the exo around/exploiting corners, or evolving in vents. Other than that the range on bile bomb is so low now its really difficult to use without being torn to shreds by theExo or his weldingpartners.
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    To the 3 people who actually read my post, thank you. The rest of you who read the first line and posted your witty / sarcastic dribble please uninstall the internet.
    I don't know when the damage was boosted, I rarely go Exo so I didn't notice the damage increase until I was being hit by a lerk. Usually I am the lerk so when I take down an exo, I just chalked it up to 'oh that exo must have been almost dead' nope he was doing fine until I came along and spiked him to death.

I think a lot of the people posting replies really don't play with skilled players enough. I regularly play in servers with highly skilled players from well known groups .. so maybe if you play pubs with a bunch of greens you don't notice the problem as much, but trust me when I say the lerk spike is entirely more effective vs exo than it should be. I urge you all to go try this - save up for Exo in a server where there are skilled lerks around, then try to engage that lerk and let me know how that works out. You will not even be able to retreat to get help unless you have teammates very near by who can waste their time welding you to save your giant turd suit which at that point you will consider a complete waste of res.

So in summary, 2-3 months ago as an Exo a Lerk spiking you was a minor annoyance that could easily be scared off with a few minigun bullets before he did any real damage. Now I regard a Lerk spiking my exo as a higher danger than a gorge bile bombing me. By the time you spray some bullets his way to scare him off, hes already done 100-150 dmg in that short time. It never used to be like that.
    edited April 2013
    I was going to type individualized responses to more of you guys but I can't bring myself to do it.. its like some of you have never even played the game but then you come on here and post very negative toned responses to people in disagreement without having any clue what you are actually talking about. I am 100% sure the lerk spike vs exo damage has gone up, and if you are any good at Lerk its incredibly easy to find small spots to spike from where you can hit the exos arms, heads, and legs without revealing yourself to the exo. This situational invulnerability, combined with the excessive damage spikes do to the exo result in an incredibly unbalanced situation.

I can't believe nobody else sees this is as problem.. a low level unit of melee class that can out-gun the most powerful unit of the ranged class from long distances! LOL .. but yeah you guys are right, I'm just MAD cause my exo broked. . ffs..
    Kamamura wrote: »

Exactly - the damage of the spikes should be halved against an exo since it is entirely armor. Is this currently what happens?

• GORGEousGORGEous Join Date: 2012-02-19 Member: 146762Members, NS2 Map Tester
    This seems like something easily overcome by having a welder or mac.... or proper positioning of your loldps exosuit.
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    I don't think lerk damage vs exo is high at all - considering how fast lerks get merked (heh rhymes)
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Umm, yes, I'm pretty sure Lerk spikes did receive a buff not long ago. Can't remember how much, but it was a pretty big buff.

Just popping in to say that.
  • |strofix||strofix| Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165453Members
    GORGEous wrote: »

Yeah... Combat is a joke once the exos and onos start rolling. It really takes most of the "skill" out of the equation that combat is supposed to be focusing on. I'm pretty sure I would enjoy NS2 a lot more in general if both exos and onos were removed. Specially in public games.

What was different in NS1?