Followed Steps to use new launchpad: Still created a new mod.

IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
I'm looking at two copies of my mod in the workshop now, kinda annoying.

My mod isn't released yet so this isn't a problem for me specifically, yet for others who have a released mod, such as combat... that's definitely a pain. I think the problem was caused by the fact the hex version of my mod id had letters in it (I know letters are used to represent hexadecimal numbers above 9).

Just letting you know there is a problem here and a better system should be set up to get the id of existing mods. Something inbuilt into launchpad that just gets your workshop files so you can see their current status perhaps.

Comments

• RegnarebRegnareb Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62008Members, NS2 Playtester
    It's very easy to get the id, you can go in the Workshop folder in %appdata% or just convert it with any tools available (even the Calculator of Windows do that), but basically you can just go to your Workshop folder and copy/paste the id. It's very very easy.
  • FLuXFLuX Join Date: 2002-12-30 Member: 11633Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2013
    I had the same issue while trying to port over all my old mods, I found that even after I retrieve the publish_id it still will create a new mod. There is a work around though.

As I've been porting over quite a few mods to the new system and have discovered this issue I've been completing the following steps.

Retrieve your publish_id either via the info.xml in the .publish folder (or via the url on the workshop)

You'll need to covert your original mod ID from decimal number to a hex digit (via calculator in windows), you'll need this to publish your mod now. Example: publish_id = "46EF23D" <- note the hexadecimal based number.

lsw5gHz.png

Now I found that no matter what when you publish it will create a new mod (you can simply delete this mod via the steam workshop browser), however if you close out the Launchpad completely, enter the retrieved publish_id in your mod.settings file you will then be able to update all your old mods.

Special note: If you're simply making cosmetic mods such as crosshairs for example you can simply place the /ui/ folder within the /output/ folder on your mod, no builder required.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    edited April 2013
    I'm pretty sure that your problem is that you're editing the mod.settings file with the launchpad open. Close it, add the publish_id = "xxxxxx" line, reopen launchpad, load your mod, then publish, it should work at the first try that way. No need to publish to a new ID then back to your old one.

At least it's how I did it and I didn't create any new modIDs. Use lowercase for the letters btw.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    ok, thanks for info on fixing it. I already deleted my old version because it really wasn't a big deal for me. But for those who are having the same issue this info will be invaluable.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    1. curses @ launchpad after making new mod
    2. reads to close launchpad
    3. closes launchpad*
    4. edits files
    5. opens launched > publish
    6. test ingame
    7. fail
    8. repeat step 4-7 a few times
    9. copies folder & start at step 1 & repeats till 6.
    10. suddenly works

grumble grumble. a lot of work for a simple skin update. :p
    heh, the second you forget you do not need builder for skin mods for view model, you corrupt the whole bloody directory it seems.