Question about map creation difference between NS2 mapping and NS2 Combat

eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Hi All,

I'm new to mapping. Seraph was nice enough to let me watch him work and gave me some fantastic guidance that got me off to a great start.

I've finished the first draft of my first combat map I'm calling co_battlechamber. I've followed Mendasp's top-notch video about the basic requirements of NS2 mapping.

However, my map is for combat.

what entities do I need to set so the game launches in combat mode?

What is required for a combat map? I'm not talking design advice, necessarily.

Lastly, this isn't necessarily important to combat, but I can only see right above the lowest floor when in commander mode. All the other rooms are black. Any tips on "location" entity properties to ensure commander can view the map correctly?

Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks All!

Comments

• dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited May 2013
    The one thing I can think of is rather than NSgamerules, you need the combat version...
    Also, some entities from Val. need to be included. (e.g, minimap, set spawns for alien and marine)
    luckily, in some cases combat seems to be easier to build.

This may be design, but something to really consider is jetpack rushes. You can get a lot more people going jetpacks, and say a vent leads right into alien hive... That may not be a problem for you however :)

*Insert obligatory advertising for S.C.C here*

I think simply being in the presence of these guys helps :P

Hope that helps slightly, Howser should post after me and clear more points.
  • DarkSeraphDarkSeraph Join Date: 2004-06-07 Member: 29174Members
    eliotmat wrote: »
    what entities do I need to set so the game launches in combat mode?

What is required for a combat map? I'm not talking design advice, necessarily.

Lastly, this isn't necessarily important to combat, but I can only see right above the lowest floor when in commander mode. All the other rooms are black. Any tips on "location" entity properties to ensure commander can view the map correctly?

You coulda asked me in chat, but I guess I've been away all afternoon (yay tacos and beer).

Not much, pretty much just the tech points. I haven't tested not using ns2gamerules, pathing_settings etc. You don't need resource nodes or power like for classic style, though power should do something now as of most recent update (put in MS & maybe center areas).

You launch your map in combat by activating the mod - subscribe to combat, open game, mods, make Combat mod say yes, and restart button. Then re-test your map (even through one click in Spark).

I'm not the right guy to ask about commander mode, but make sure you use the commander_camera entity set to the appropriate height. Location - nothing specific, it just connects power & resource to the room and gives a title. Minimap_extent has to be square, just FYI.

As to other help & guidance you gotta ask. They can even be more ambiguous design questions and I'll attempt to answer at least. But just a reminder there are much more senior mappers on these forums that might be better to answer some of those questions.
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    Hi.

The required entities for Combat are same like for vanilla NS2. The guys from Combat team made it compatible. Just need to subscribe and activate the Combat mode trough the "Mods" in main menu.

As for the commander view goes, pls refer to this FAQ. I suggest to read it trough, it contains lot of information you could find useful :)
  • eliotmateliotmat Join Date: 2002-12-01 Member: 10350Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    Thanks everyone. I managed to get everything "functional" hehe and the map grayboxing is complete for a first draft.

Going to test it out through combat mod and see how it goes.

Still having a tough go at publishing through steam. Seraph has been kind enough to help. I'm like an infant trying to walk for the first time. He's been really patient. :)