Getting a new PC

2»

Comments

• kespeckespec Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172279Members
    Kalabalana wrote: »
    kespec wrote: »
    i53570k won't cut it for a stable and decent fps
    I play at basically a constant 60 FPS with my i53570k @ 4.3 @ 1920x1200 everything on/maxed
    I have a Hyper 212+ on it, and it's on stock voltage, so I have more to go. This is prob the most bang for buck cpu for ns2.

and i am playing @4.2 and no, i havent seen a stable 60fps in 24player servers. whatever you do there is no way for me to get stable 60 fps endgame.

my graphics card is zotac gtx 680 4gb edition
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    kespec wrote: »
    i53570k won't cut it for a stable and decent fps

3570k is more than fine, it's probably the second best cpu you could get right now (obviously second to the 3770k), I have no idea why you say that.

i do own one and talking with my experience, what do you think? it won't cut it, it doesn't for me. you have to buy a more-than-decent cooling system and overlock the hell out of it. bought a new cooling system and clocked to @4.2 still can't reach 60 fps endgame. how far should i go?

and yes better get a i7 3770k by paying 70 dolars more or wait for new cpus.or don't even buy one. because doesn't worth it.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited May 2013
    Do you even know what you're talking about? The only thing you can get better than a 3570k is a 3770k and, get this, IT'S NO BETTER FOR GAMING THAN THE 3570k. The difference is the hyperthreading, gee, good thing you have 8 threads instead of 4 to run your 2 core game on. The one advantage I've found to having a 2600k to a 2500k is that since it IS a better quality chip, I could OC it higher once I turned HT off.

Just because YOUR setup is bad and you can't get good fps on the second best processor on the market right now, doesn't mean it "won't cut it for a stable and decent fps" because that's a terrible lie. I actually have a friend that has the 3570k and he sustains a high frame rate just fine. He hasn't even OC'd it yet. Please take your misinformation and post it somewhere else.

Clearly, since the 3570k "isn't good enough" no one can play this game at a decent fps, NO ONE, because you won't get a better performing cpu for this game.
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2013
    @Ironsoul Nice lists! :) I might actually go ahead and change some parts to some of the parts in the overclocking list, since I checked and saw that it would only cost ~750e (300e cheaper than the specs my friend listed) and with the keyboards etc. the whole deal would be 1305.30e atm, which would mean less saving for a 7-string guitar!

Think I'll list some stuff for you guys to judge now:

Screen: SAMSUNG S24B150 24" FullHD LED DVI/VGA 119.00e, this screen is really cheap in a store nearby, and it's almost exactly the same I have now which has been good enough for me.

Keyboard: LOGITECH GAMING KEYBOARD G105 RU 52.00e, I don't really care that much to get a gaming keyboard, but all the cheaper ones were either wireless (which I don't want) or crappy 10 euro keyboards. It also has illuminated keys which I would love to get.

Mouse: LOGITECH G400 Optical Gaming Mouse 45.00e, Self-explanatory I'd say, got a MX518 atm and G400 is practically the same with optical tracking, which seems to be more accurate.

I'm hoping I could get the full price to about 1200e now as I have a list of cheaper components at hand. :)

@hozz Darn you almost scared me there! A few seconds will be nothing compared to the 1-2 mins on this old ass PC. :D Always have to go spectate until it has fully loaded the map before I can go and enjoy my 20fps (I don't get why people complain of dropping to 50fps when this is what I'm used to, and it's still playable xP).

Now, I think I'll discuss a little with my bro before he goes to England with his friends and then make the final list which I'll be getting, thanks guys! :)

P.S. I believe this summer will be Darwinism

Edit: Changed a few parts and now I'm down to 1261.30e, almost 100 euros cheaper than before. :>
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I would always recommend an ssd, regardless of whether you're gaming or not.

I also just bought my first mechanical keyboard, the cm storm pro, and it's lovely, I would thoroughly recommend going for a mechanical keyboard if you can.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Do you even know what you're talking about? The only thing you can get better than a 3570k is a 3770k and, get this, IT'S NO BETTER FOR GAMING THAN THE 3570k. The difference is the hyperthreading, gee, good thing you have 8 threads instead of 4 to run your 2 core game on. The one advantage I've found to having a 2600k to a 2500k is that since it IS a better quality chip, I could OC it higher once I turned HT off.

Just because YOUR setup is bad and you can't get good fps on the second best processor on the market right now, doesn't mean it "won't cut it for a stable and decent fps" because that's a terrible lie. I actually have a friend that has the 3570k and he sustains a high frame rate just fine. He hasn't even OC'd it yet. Please take your misinformation and post it somewhere else.

Clearly, since the 3570k "isn't good enough" no one can play this game at a decent fps, NO ONE, because you won't get a better performing cpu for this game.
    I'd say the Sandy Bridge-E 3820/3930K/3960K/3970X's are probably better if your willing to go LGA2011. The more cache typically give a small, but noticeable, boost in performance for equivalent clockspeeds.

However, pretty much any Sandy/Ivy Bridge i5/i7 and Bulldozer/Piledriver CPU (especially if overclocked) can handle NS2 with solid fps, as long as you stick to 20 player or less servers. Most of the fps issues people have with awesome hardware are due to poorly performing servers, which includes almost all 24+ player servers.
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    Yeah I really wish UWE would limit the player count so rental servers from hypernia/multiplay(typical xeon hardware) are unlikely to see 24 players, while those that have overclocked hardware are usually smart enough to mod it to 24 if they choose. This would really make a large difference to the game experience and not put off the holy new players.
  • redrumrummorredrumrummor Join Date: 2006-12-11 Member: 59015Members
    Scatter wrote: »
    Yeah I really wish UWE would limit the player count so rental servers from hypernia/multiplay(typical xeon hardware) are unlikely to see 24 players, while those that have overclocked hardware are usually smart enough to mod it to 24 if they choose. This would really make a large difference to the game experience and not put off the holy new players.

Those 24 player servers are organised chaos played several times on them last night being most recently, can be enjoyable in that they can be epic but majority are cluster***** and perf turns to even more crap and the ticket rate of them is horrible, quite a shame as there are and have been decent 12-16max servers sit empty that play this game how its meant to be played, reddit being one.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    Woah guys, guys, this is a computer hardware suggestion thread, not a "let's complain about servers" thread.
  • rmbrown09rmbrown09 Join Date: 2012-10-17 Member: 162592Members
    Talking about computer hardware on game or tech forums is worse than arguing about religion or politics.
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Okay, I've ordered all the parts now (YAY!).

Thanks again for all the suggestions and I'll be seen in-game in the upcoming weeks a lot. ^_^
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Okay, I've ordered all the parts now (YAY!).
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    Wait 2 weeks. Haswell is coming out on June 3rd.
    This pains me so.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2013
    @babyshark your experiences do not reflect everyone's.

I know your posts thus far only reflect otherwise, but aren't you being a little dramatic and exaggerating a bit?

Your last post of "no 3 year old hardware can run this game" was equally inaccurate considering my 4 year old i7 920 isn't running on "liquid nitrogen" and i average over 60 fps consistently.
    Yes, 24 player late game pubs on a low tick rate server are going to dip. But I don't consider those infrequent scenarios (for me) as qualifying the overall experience as "ball sack performance".

I'm a fanboy, but yet i'll openly agree that there are performance problems, that are being worked on constantly?
    I just think you're over blowing it a tad considering the universal stats on FPS, benchmark threads, and my own personal experience with the same CPU.

@ScardyBob Thanks for the info about Haswell, but as I stated earlier I really want to get this out as fast as possible, 2 weeks aint that long of a time but I'd rather just get it now. :)

@Babyshark I've been playing NS2 this far with my 3 year old pretty cheap PC with 2.7GHz CPU and some AMD 3600 or something as GPU, and I've run a steady 20FPS whole game after the map has been fully loaded, so the problem you have must be caused by something else.

lol, funny i do own the cpu i do play with one. and you are the one making assumptions.

to have a decent fps you have to join the @5k club. hitting @5k is a serious commitment and not a task for every computer user. your cooling system and power supply has to be top notch, and you have to be fully aware about what you are doing. that is a serious money

mine right now is sitting at @4.2 occasionaly clocking it to @4.6 and there is just now way to gurantee min 60 fps in a 24+ server. and despite your wild assumptions my rig is as optimal as it gets.

in short: stop giving people false promises and hopes. and misinformation as if simple overclocking would give you a silk smooth game. and continue commenting when you have an i53570k, "my friend said that, told that, had that" wont prove anything to me as i personally test its capabilities firsthand.
  • Sp3cia1Sp3cia1 NY/MASS Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177755Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    The only game that really uses hyper threading right now is pretty much cyrsis 3, and what iron horse it would be wise to get more powerfull psu and will save you more than likely in the long run(new video card psu requirements, drives and various other upgrades). Nehalem based systems still hold up well today btw.
    Righto, just played like 7 hours of ns2 on the new PC, and all I gotta say is amazing. Thanks to you people for the suggestions, now I can finally play to full extent with ~50-70 fps all game!

I'm out. :)