I want to make a thingamajig.

CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
edited June 2013 in Off-Topic
I have some things, I want to make a thing.

http://db.tt/qnMTwg0e

There's an example of some of the things I have that I wish to turn into a thingamajig. I have some other things too.

The stepper motors have 7.5 degree steps, and the arduino is toast, but I intend to replace it.

What should I make?

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    3D Printer and use it to make a gorge plushie model.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    Make an awesome walking robot that moves by sliding a leg forward, tipping over slightly, then retracting the rear leg. Rinse and repeat.

Driving stepper motors is a huge pain in the bumhole, unless you use a pololu stepper driver which can be had for few dollars and do all the difficult stuff for you. Those steppers have a million wires on them, so I don't quite know what's going on. They probably have center-taps on the windings which you can ignore.

Buy some three cell lipos from hobbyking for cheap to run the whole thing. Don't short them out because many fire.

--Scythe--
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Scythe wrote: »
    Buy some three cell lipos from hobbyking for cheap to run the whole thing. Don't short them out because many fire.
    Sounds like you know this from experience :)

• CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    edited June 2013
    Scythe wrote: »
    Make an awesome walking robot that moves by sliding a leg forward, tipping over slightly, then retracting the rear leg. Rinse and repeat.

Driving stepper motors is a huge pain in the bumhole, unless you use a pololu stepper driver which can be had for few dollars and do all the difficult stuff for you. Those steppers have a million wires on them, so I don't quite know what's going on. They probably have center-taps on the windings which you can ignore.

--Scythe--

I fried the arduino because I was running the stepers with NPN Darlington arrays and forgot to put resistors on the base pins. (I also think I ran 24V into an input pin on the arduino) There's 2 wires on the steppers for external power positive, and the four others I was using the darlington array to ground the coils in sequence. I was just playing with them trying different drive patterns, (single phase, two phase, half stepping). I want to try to make whatever I make with as many salvaged parts as I can. As such, I want to avoid buying premade shields, I want to learn as much as I canin the process. The four steppers are from two old Panasonic dot matrix printers, and the IC's from them are SIP and DIP, no SMD's at all, too old. I have datasheets for most of them, from darlington arrays to hex inverters to small eeproms. even the resistors and diodes still have long leads and are reusable.

I'd love to try to make a 3d printer with mostly salvaged parts, but as I said, the motors only have 48 steps at 7.5 degrees, I think the reprap uses 200 step motors. I could maybe gear it down and make a super slow 3d printer?

:edit:
    I just bought an AVR ISP programmer and an Atmega328p-pu with arduino botloader. I'm going to use that instad of the Uno, that way, if i fry the atmega, I'm only out a few bucks instead of the cost of the whole board.

Also, http://db.tt/ZHPXhiLd both from Panasonix KX-P1123/KX-P1191 printers. I want to reuse the IC's.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed! Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    Screw that, pet your dogs. They look sad.
  • CabooseCaboose title = name(self, handle) Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13597Members, Constellation
    edited June 2013
    Monkfish wrote: »
    Screw that, pet your dogs. They look sad.

Or tired, this was late at night, the Yellow dog was sleeping, and the one on the bed I think was, until I made a sound. My dogs are loved, and very happy!

/me hugs them both.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Well obviously this requires the construction of a doomsday device!
    Since you have dogs, some sort of automated food or water dispenser would be both cool and useful. Otherwise, I would browse hackaday.com till you find something that peaks your interest.
    I've seen the dog feeder before. My mom's in a wheelchair, and I was kind of thinking automated storage/retreval for the ceiling height cabinets in the house... Have it move along a ceiling mounted track and put a crate type thing in each of the cabinets, have it carry the crates to a raising/lowering device. Though my goal of using mostly scrap wouldn't work for that.

I've seen some cool dog feeders, one internet enabled, powered by a Rhasbery Pi that was pretty cool.
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    Looks like a bit of kit we would use on my old degree, have a browse through the Instructables technology section for inspiration.