Bug: Use key triggering "too many console commands..." error.

ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
See title. I use ALT for my Use key, but I've not tested another key to see if it is related.

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    This error occurs for any console command that's entered too many times within a window, it shouldn't have any impact on gameplay ever, nor should your use key be enabling it somehow.
    Odd.
    Definitely try with another key just in case.

But again,.. its pretty benign.. its merely a printout in console.
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    Tried it with a normal key and no error message. Tried it with LeftAlt again and it floods the console. I was too lazy to test if it caused building to perform slower, but I didn't notice a slowdown.

I'm also receiving the error for another key, Z, which I use for flashlight. Holding it for 2 or 3 seconds floods the console. I changed to J with no errors and back again to Z with errors.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Is the print out really necessary IronHorse? Surely the fact it stops the spam is enough, we as the user don't need it filling our consoles with the same useless information over and over.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Well yea when the console command is being spammed that much.
    But were talking about it being meant for intentional console usage not typical key usage.
    So something is wrong.

qwerty keyboard?
  • ultranewbultranewb Pro Bug Hunter Join Date: 2004-07-21 Member: 30026Members
    Yep. MS Natural Ergonomic.

The InputHandler.lua function OnSendKeyEvent defaults to ConsoleBindingsKeyPressed when a key is held. This occurs unless a another function reports it consumed the event. My theory is that it's not consuming the event correctly - I think I proved it below.

I found the "culprit". I had tried to bind LeftAlt and Z long ago in the console. Even though both keys are used in the settings and fire correctly, OnSendKeyEvent is not consuming the event correctly and always passing the event to the ConsoleBindingsKeyPressed routine. I predict a minor performance increase when this is fixed. :)
    Interesting find. Thanks for doing the legwork. :)
  • ISpyTyISpyTy Join Date: 2005-01-08 Member: 33705Members
    This is all my console has. I have a old generic Belkin keyboard, and no matter what key I hold down, I get hundreds of messages in the console about this. I hold W, and it just starts spamming the console so much that I can never see chat messages or actions, just an entire console filled full of this message. Would greatly like to see this removed or silenced.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I have bugged them and bugged them to remove the printout. It's cause it used to be exploited and crashed servers. But the message should at least be disabled.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Get rid of that god damn console spam :|
    edited October 2013
    Hey now, no need to remove this message.
    It will not occur during typical usage.

It mostly occurs for those that have previously manually bound their key to something else, and not through the menu.
    Its an easy fix really : just delete your options.xml file.

A reason to keep the message : It aids in figuring out the exact maximum frequency of command spam for those that F1 or any other command in debugging.
    It also discourages any exploitative use or curiosity right away.

Again, the important take away point from this is that you should not be experiencing this from normal play... if you are there is an incredibly easy fix. :)
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2013
    It does happen during typical usage for me. AT LEAST don't make it spam for number keys, or NumPad keys. I hope you mean ConsoleBindings.json. Because options.xml is all your settings and keybinds. Rebinding my keys to the default so that I don't get spam, that's just silly. I only have so many keys on a keyboard, especially with no ctrl+key in this game. Where am I supposed to put keybinds for things? Not everyone has the same keyboard. For example, even though my console command bindings are on my NumPad buttons, and my gameplay binds are on the numbers above the letters, it still spams the console. They are NOT the same keys. Just some dumb thing my keyboard does, even though I can make separate binds for NumPad 1 and 1 above tab and q. It does affect gameplay because all the useful information in the console like previous chat messages who killed who are wiped because it spams the console.
    Not to mention the "for debugging purposes" argument. This actually makes debugging HARDER because I have to search through a hundreds and hundreds of lines just for an error message. I have keybinds for debugging and other reasons myself, why should I have to remove them just so I don't get console spam so I can actually use the console. Not once have I ever seen a reasonable useful reason to know the frequency at which someone is not spamming the console.

At least make so that it
    1) Doesn't spam for number keys and NumPad keys
    and or 2) Has an optional way to turn it off through the console, like nospam 1
    or 3) Remove it altogether.
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    rebinding my keys to the default so that I don't get spam, that's just silly..
    That's not what i said.
    If you *manually* rebind your keys by editing files instead of the in game options, this is what may happen should you forget to manually unbind or re bind those keys and instead using the game.

If anything the unintended behavior leading to this spam should be fixed - not the intended message/output that's meant for very specific circumstances which are not occurring here.