Add ability to self weld with build 250.

fat catfat cat Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164696Members, Reinforced - Silver
edited June 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
I'm not sure how complicated it will be to add this, but with armories not healing armor anymore, and UWE trying to make welders play a bigger role in NS2. Welders should really be able to weld yourself, instead of relying on team mates or even macs to weld you up.

Animations shouldn't be necessary, just some simple lines of code. I'm pretty noobish when it comes to the technical workings of NS2, but if they have the time/resources to make a stun gun, then surely this is possible.

EDIT 1
Yes, you can self weld when welding structures, but having to rely on structures getting damaged to weld yourself is ridiculous.

My 2 cents.

Any comments would be much appreciated.

Fat Cat

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2013
    This thought popped into my head too. Why not just turn the welder around and weld yourself. Logic! ;)
    Thought it wouldn't really be very balanced and wouldn't be very fair.
  • Samus1111111Samus1111111 Join Date: 2012-08-07 Member: 154930Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    So, the mechanic that was added to encourage teamwork should be removed because teamwork is too hard? You already weld yourself (albeit at a slower rate) when you are welding something or someone.
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think self-welding could be good, with a few conditions:

1. Self weld must be slower (1/3 the speed of welding another player)

2. Player MUST look straight down (Leaving them vulnerable and unaware)

3. Player cannot move while self welding
  • RedSwordRedSword Join Date: 2006-12-07 Member: 58947Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    fat cat wrote: »
    Yes, you can self weld when welding structures, but having to rely on structures getting damaged to weld yourself is ridiculous.

Totally agree for that part. A hidden mechanic is not good. And that way you have a certain profit from damaged structure... weird.
  • fat catfat cat Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164696Members, Reinforced - Silver
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    This thought popped into my head too. Why not just turn the welder around and weld yourself. Logic! ;)
    Thought it wouldn't really be very balanced and wouldn't be very fair.

it would be balanced, cause while self welding you cant attack things, probably wont be so mobile and you will have a restricted FOV if they add any good animations making it a risk vs reward scenario. You could be caught off guard while self welding, and you would probably die.

Increasing the switch time from self welding to a weapon could balance it out more.
  • BestProfileNameBestProfileName Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177320Members
    welders are already powerful on skulks alone, so what happens when you're self welding with medpacks?

If you're going to allow this you should have to remain stationary and it should be 1/3 the speed. At best.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    They should remove the self weld from welding structures and you should not be able to weld yourself. That's op