Regarding mouse acceleration

wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
edited July 2013 in Technical Support
Could anyone explain how this is working on a somewhat technical level. The acceleration curve and such.

If I set mouse acceleration to ON, the more I increase the slider value in the game settings the lower "sensitivity" I get. Thats pretty weird and I don't really understand it.
Am I using it the wrong way?

I would like to make a suggestion to add something like this mouse acceleration script into the game as a replacement for the current acceleration setting, unless I've misunderstood something completely.

I'm not using this program, but I just found it and will be giving it a go tomorrow (hopefully making this post sort of moot).
I have been trying to find the acceleration curve for quake live as I feel it is the acceleration I enjoy using the most. I remember old HL1 days where the acceleration felt really weird, and very few games have had as nice acceleration settings as quake 3/live does.

--

I managed to fix acceleration by installing custom mouse drivers and custom programs. Russians mail order brides are probably being sent to my ip as we speak.

Comments

• wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
    Thanks for all the help dudes.

I'm guessing it's broken then.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I'd just like to know why they decided to use sliders for any settings at all instead of number values.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited July 2013
    because it's 2013 and text based sensitivity/fov/anything inputs are too difficult and hardware intensive to add.
  • MinstrelJCFMinstrelJCF Join Date: 2009-05-10 Member: 67379Members
    Female marines are obviously more important.
  • jewbearjewbear Join Date: 2013-02-09 Member: 182943Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Pretty much if you are using windows xp, vista, 7, or 8 you should use a mouse fix, just because when games call the function, windows enables the 'enhance mouse pointer precision' feature. The curve that is used is varying and is called even when the 'enhance pointer precision' is unchecked in mouse settings.

This means that slower mouse movements go extra slow and faster go extra fast. It is not linear and never straightline.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/22306419/MarkC_Windows_8+7_MouseFix.zip

^I suggest using MarkC's mouse fix. It contains a good tutorial as well as a little program to test out if the fix did work after you installed it. Your mouse movements will constantly be on a 1-1 scale and you will notice more consistent aim.
    @Jewbear
    I am very aware of the different mouse acceleration fixes that are out there.
    I was using MarkC's fix prior to using these custom drivers to be able to play with mouse acceleration, and playing with MarkC's drivers didn't help in the slightest.

You do know I am trying to enable mouse acceleration and not disable it, right?

@Ghosthree3
    Also, there actually is a console command to set up mouse acceleration, but it doesn't seem to do anything, and as they changed "I_sensitivity" they might as well have changed "I_accell" and ignored updating the wiki.

i_rawinput true/false Toggle raw mouse input
    i_sensitivity <float> Mouse sensitivity
    i_accel <float> Mouse acceleration

• jewbearjewbear Join Date: 2013-02-09 Member: 182943Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow
    I see... what is the reason you want to use mouse acceleration though? It just creates inconsistencies which are hard to control unless you get used to playing with the acceleration over hours and hours of time spent between multiple games.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/gg463319.aspx

That link might help you...it applies to windows XP, I believe the formulas have changed slightly for 7/8 though, but the same concept.
    Could it be that I actually have been "playing with the acceleration over hours and hours of time spent between multiple games." ? :P

And it is not the windows xp/7/8 mouse acceleration curve I am the least interested in, as stated in my first post. It is that the mouse acceleration settings in NS2 makes no sense, and I instead wanted to suggest switching over to how Quake 3 / Quake Live handles mouse acceleration and instead use that curve.

The acceleration that was in games like HL1 (without any CPL Reg-fixes, etc) is directly from windows, I think, and that acceleration was absolutely horrible, and very unpredictable. At least for me.

Even though I very much doubt we'll be getting some advanced mouse settings in ns2, this is some of the things you can change in Quake Live when it comes to mouse settings:

cl_mouseAccel - the usual amount/strength of acceleration (default: 0)
    cl_mouseAccelPower - the power of the accelerating term (default: 2)
    cl_mouseAccelOffset - the mouse speed at which acceleration begins to apply, below this speed the sensitivity is constant (default: 0)
    cl_mouseSensCap - an upper limit on the sensitivity, the sensitivity will not be accelerated beyond this value (default: 0 [off])
    cl_mouseAccelStyle - Sets mouse acceleration style.
    m_yaw - Horizontal view movement sensitivity
    m_pitch - Vertical view movement sensitivity.
    m_filter [0|1] - Smoothes mouse movement.

If a small portion of settings like these could get implemented it would be a big step in the right direction I feel. Currently increasing the slider for mouse acceleration ingame decreases your sensitivity (or something else I can't really understand). It could really use an overhaul.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    wiry wrote: »
    @Ghosthree3
    Also, there actually is a console command to set up mouse acceleration, but it doesn't seem to do anything, and as they changed "I_sensitivity" they might as well have changed "I_accell" and ignored updating the wiki.

i_rawinput true/false Toggle raw mouse input
    i_sensitivity <float> Mouse sensitivity
    i_accel <float> Mouse acceleration

Wtb i_sensitivity, i_accel, i_fov, i_rawinput, i_everything.
    edited July 2013
    http://wiki.unknownworlds.com/ns2/Console_Commands#Gameplay_and_Mapping

It isn't updated though, for instance i_sensitivity was replaced with setsensitivity a few patches back. And, I can't get i_accel to work.

At least you have a few commands.. ;)
    Not all are there, some don't work.
    Bumping to ask @matso for an explanation on how the accel works in NS2. Being a bar doesn't help but I'm not sure what it's max/min values are etc? Just an over all "how it works" in ns2 would be nice :D
    bump, give mouse accell :<

or at least explain how the current implementation works, please.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited September 2013
    wiry wrote: »
    bump, give mouse accell :<

or at least explain how the current implementation works, please.

what grip style do you use? just get a mouse that has positive acceleration in the sensor because it'll be more consistent than anything you can achieve messing with game filters in any game-across games
    edited September 2013
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    acceleration isn't bad in itself, it's the poor implementation most games give it. as long as it isn't reliant on FPS it shouldn't be all too bad. valve recently fixed it on the source engine so it's viable, it's just too bad it already has such a negative stigma.

The majority of the quake players that you know of, if you watch Quakecon, use/used acceleration. (A couple years ago it was only stermy/strenx who didn't, dunno about now)
    acceleration isn't bad in itself, it's the poor implementation most games give it.
    No one has said that acceleration is bad. And yes, poor implementation is indeed the case in Natural Selection 2.
    as long as it isn't reliant on FPS it shouldn't be all too bad. valve recently fixed it on the source engine so it's viable, it's just too bad it already has such a negative stigma.
    I haven't tried mouse acc on source engine in a long time, can't comment.
    The majority of the quake players that you know of, if you watch Quakecon, use/used acceleration. (A couple years ago it was only stermy/strenx who didn't, dunno about now)
    Yes, I watch a lot of quake and am aware that a lot of players, including myself, use mouse acceleration.
    edited September 2013
    wasn't directed to you, but I can understand the confusion because I didn't use a quote. sorry :(