Skulk movement sounds

thelawenforcerthelawenforcer Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183176Members
I'm talking about the lack of properly audible sounds on the skulk when hes bhopping. Back when the new gameplay was still a mod, a 'hack' was tried which involved using a looping sound when skulk travelled over x velocity. this sound (it sounded like a dog panting) sounded very silly of course, but it was functional, and we were assured it was only a placeholder.

However, it seems that no new sound or sound system was implemented in B250, and thus the same issue of fast moving quasi silent skulks crops up again. Its certainly a subtle issue, but it has a very big impact imo.

I wanted to know whether this was going to be addressed and in what manner, if at all?

In any case, what would people suggest as a viable solution?

Comments

• ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the walljumping sounds themselves may still be bugged, i.e. marines don't hear them. Not sure if that's always the case but I've definitely seen Skulks walljump at me in dead silence(without upgrades).
  • MestaritonttuMestaritonttu Join Date: 2004-07-29 Member: 30229Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Yeah I've also got the feeling there's something fishy, as marine there seems to be alot more Skulks hopping on me from nowhere (altho aura might be responsible atleast some of those times) and as Skulk it feels like I'm making tons of noise, but sometimes marines never turn to watch where I come from... Might just be imagining it all tho. :|

I'm really starting to like the new walljump/bunnyhopping tho. I like to rush alot and now I actually have a tool to increase chances of survival while doing that. ...that, and it's also just fun.

BUT I'D STILL LIKE A CONFIRMATION - is it good to press ctrl while hopping/wallhopping? It does prevent accidental wallgrabbings, but otherwise?
  • thelawenforcerthelawenforcer Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183176Members
    Zek wrote: »
    I think the walljumping sounds themselves may still be bugged, i.e. marines don't hear them. Not sure if that's always the case but I've definitely seen Skulks walljump at me in dead silence(without upgrades).

the marines definately do hear the sounds, they are just incredibly quiet (and possibly bugged aswell) that you can only hear them (barely) if he is right next to you, which is precisely my point. anyway, glad to see others notice the issue.

@mesta, dont know - would be good to stay on topic though :P
  • joederpjoederp Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165992Members
    edited July 2013
    It does seem like the speed boosted skulk sounds are actually QUIETER to the nearby marine than the standard skulk jump or foot patter noises. Which means vanilla skulks basically get partial silence now. You have to be very close to a skulk to hear the higher speed jump noises. This is backwards- these speed boosted sounds should be much louder similar to a sprinting marine makes more noise.
  • JCDJCD Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33150Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Aye other guys asked me quite a few times if we had silence because they never heard me coming.
    Somethings off there.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Petition to bring back dog pant. I've already collected 11,000 signatures, make it happen.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »
    Petition to bring back dog pant. I've already collected 11,000 signatures, make it happen.
    Are 10,999 of those Xao?
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
  • joshhhjoshhh Milwaukee, WI Join Date: 2011-06-21 Member: 105717Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Panting was to counteract the 17 speed non-cele skulks that were BT during that time. Since there is a soft cap on speed now, it seems much less useful.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Dog panting... Screw that, let's get some proper dog barking in here. Speed1 *woof*, speed2 *woofwoof*, speed3 *woofwoofwoof*, missing a jump *dogwhine*
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Kouji_San wrote: »
    Dog panting... Screw that, let's get some proper dog barking in here. Speed1 *woof*, speed2 *woofwoof*, speed3 *woofwoofwoof*, missing a jump *dogwhine*

• IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Locklear wrote: »
    Kouji_San wrote: »

Going to need you to speak up. We can't hear you over all this immersive dog-like experience.
  • bizbiz Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167386Members
    don't need special sounds...

I don't think people even care if a skulk is coming at 9.2 ups or 12.1 ups.... they just want to know whether or not they're coming and where they're coming from
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2013
    I think the problem with the current Skulk footstep sounds is, they do not play while the Skulk is in the air (99% of the time now), and marines cannot tell the speed of Skulks approaching by the sound of their jumps.

So I think an additional sound needs to play (eg growling) for skulks travelling/jumping at high speeds.
  • RabidWeaselRabidWeasel Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5337Members
    +1 for the classic horny dog pant
  • CrazyEddieCrazyEddie Join Date: 2013-01-08 Member: 178196Members
    We just need to put a bell on the skulks so we can hear them coming.
  • GavaalGavaal Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185228Members
    Marines need a special move called "skulk tag" which basically does what @Ironhorse and @crazyeddie said, chucks a bell on them so you can hear them felines before they pounce :D
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Cowbells ought to do it.
    Works for this escape artist hound dog I know..