Is there any way to get voice chat through my headset

draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
and regular game sounds through my speakers? This seems like a pretty basic functionality to me that would only improve QoL for the players... and if it's in the game, how in the blazes do I change it? The game isn't written on source so it's not a total shitty engine, at least (and anyone who loves source - try alt tabbing the silly thing, sheesh)

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2013
    Not possible getting just the voice isolated in your headset, unless you're using teamspeak outside of the game on a separate soundcard output AFAIK. You could just use a y-splitter stereo plug thing and use your main speakers and headphones together? Just turn the game volume down and voice volume up, and crank up your stereo speakers to compensate? Seems kind of silly to have both hearing the same thing, unless you got a rocking sound system.
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    I have an okay stereo set up - but I want to hear voice through headphones so i can still hear skulks skulking
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited July 2013
    I accidentally had this problem with another game, ended up messing with some windows sound settings and fixed it.
  • IronsoulIronsoul Join Date: 2011-03-12 Member: 86048Members
    I know what you want to do (send other people's voice through your headphones, send all other game sounds through speakers). I don't think NS2 can do it. Be awesome if the devs coded it in so we can do this though.
  • sotanahtsotanaht Join Date: 2013-01-12 Member: 179215Members
    I don't see the point honestly. Headphones block out other sounds fairly well, so it would be hard to hear some of those skulk sounds if they only played from outside.

I would personally just reduce the volume of other sounds so that I could better hear voices over them (and disable music completely), still playing all through my headset.
  • draktokdraktok Join Date: 2013-02-18 Member: 183156Members
    I've done this but it is still hard, and sometimes certain mics are just loud, plus if they are too loud i can just press the button on my headset and still hear skulks skulking through my speakers, but it's irritating to attempt through normal game and have to change settings based on players each time