Possible balance changes

schuschu Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154768Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited August 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
I have a few quick ideas for balance changes. Some are drastic changes, while others are simple. I do expect to get flamed for this post, while on the flip-side i do expect some people would agree to these changes that i'm about to share to you. Overall the point of this thread is to balance the game around pubbers and the pubbing community. I can see how some of these changes would or could be used in the advantage of a good player and turn the tide of the game by him/herself. I would expect the competitive community to make a mod that suits them and what they are after in a 6v6 comp. game.

Please read them all. They aren't in any particular order. You'll see why I posted one change and later have another change to counter-act that previous or soon to be read change.

Anyways, let me share my ideas:

1. Increase the cone spread of the LMG.
This change would affect early game marines. This would especially help players who have trouble aiming with the nearly pinpoint accurate assault rifle that is in the game already.

2. Biomass levels increase the base health AND speed of all lifeforms.
This is mainly for skulks. This would keep skulks even more viable late game and to counter-act the increased lmg cone from the marines. I don't have percentages worked out in my head nor have i tested this. This is just an idea that i thought would best fit players so biomass did more than add increased health. But i'm going to just throw out of number so you know what i mean. Level 9 biomass would let a skulk with celerity that is walljumping reach speeds of about 16-17.

3. Fade overhaul.
This change is probably the most significant. Let me explain this in 3 parts.

A. Decrease the base HP of the fade.
The biomass increases should be enough to let the fade expand from his base hp that has been lowered. This needs to be tested first though to find out what is best suited for him at the start.

B. Remove vortex.
I'll Explain this one below.

C. Remove shadowstep.
I'll Explain this one below.

EXPLANATION OF REMOVING VORTEX AND SHADOWSTEP.

Ok bear with me here. I know this sounds dumb so far but i have my reasons. You may actually like them.

Firstly, I'm a pretty decent fade and with the new blink i rarely use shadowstep, if at all. Secondly, Vortex is a joke of an ability. I can see its uses...but its rare that i even use it.

On to the explanation....

Removing shadowstep and replacing the "shift button" ability with a self-vortex.

What would a self-vortex do?

Self-vortexing would absorb damage sort of like umbra but far less effective. It's a way to mitigate a lot of incoming fire at once. I would have this ability last for 1.5 seconds and absorb 33.333333% of incoming damage.

So since shadowstep is now gone and vortex is a self-vortex on the old shadowstep shift ability....what do fades get as a second ability?

Metabolize. If you have played NS1 you know what metabolize is and does. But for those of you who don't know.

Metabolize heals your base hp/armor and gives you back energy/adrenaline.

So to summarize the fade:
Decrease overall base hp
Remove vortex; replaced with metabolize
Remove shadowstep; replaced with a self-vortex to absorb 33% of all incoming damage for 1.5 seconds.

4. Increase the overheating or cooldown of a dual exo
As i said, this is for pub play. Currently a dual exo is way too powerful. I think it would be more beneficial if the dual-exos were more burst damage than sustained damage. Have the guns overheat quicker or cooldown slower. That is all.

That is all I have for now. Please take these into consideration when you're reading them. I know some of you will probably be outraged by what i posted but i do want honest feedback of my ideas. I still have a lot more ideas for balancing but without properly testing these out...i have no way of knowing how most of the pubs would react to them.

All i'm trying to do is increase the player base by making the game more rewarding and easier to play as base classes (skulks/marines). I know the fade was a huge overhaul but I believe it is for the better.

Thank you all for taking the time to read my long post.

Comments

• MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    *Moved to Ideas & Suggestions*
  • RustyRusty Canada Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185850Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver
    I completely agree with Schu.

I've been an NS1 player since beta over 10 years ago. There are some significant game balance issues, as well as personal abilities. You've completely allowed mods to control the game, however even with mods being able to tweak various items / effects - this means that every server could be different. The core engine needs an over-haul to it's vanilla gameplay.

Gorges need to have less HP / Armor at the start - have it level up the same as mentioned above.
    The Bellyslide should be completely removed. Gorges are assists, not their own attacking force.
  • Mattk50Mattk50 Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182824Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    gorges die in one clip at the start of the game, and they are slow clumsy targets especially with the new nerfed slide.

if you cant kill them either its 5 gorges vs you or you cant aim.
  • IronmanIronman Join Date: 2012-03-22 Member: 149184Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I use vortex, shadow step and belly slide with regen and babblers...