Xenoswarm released!

Comments

• WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Found a small bug.

After killing a hive when the new game started on the same map I kept my large ammo clips upgrade into the next game.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    edited August 2013
    Lot's of movement problems and lua errors at the moment.

Just a small issue but id like to see more obvious icons for upgrades, most look similar and the buy menu just seems a bit poor.

I think more gui improvements in general would be nice, stats and objectives, maps of course need them, simply shooting aliens and getting to the end is a bit simple for a coop game, we need points where we have to stop and build up defense, fix a door or machine before progressing, turrets seem a bit useless at the moment when the fight is over by the time they're up, stuff like that needs some work, still it's looking good and i look forward to seeing how it improves!
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Thought of adding this mod too the mod database http://www.moddb.com/ ?
  • MCMLXXXIVMCMLXXXIV Join Date: 2010-04-14 Member: 71400Members
    Electr0 wrote: »
    Lot's of movement problems and lua errors at the moment.

Just a small issue but id like to see more obvious icons for upgrades, most look similar and the buy menu just seems a bit poor.

I think more gui improvements in general would be nice, stats and objectives, maps of course need them, simply shooting aliens and getting to the end is a bit simple for a coop game, we need points where we have to stop and build up defense, fix a door or machine before progressing, turrets seem a bit useless at the moment when the fight is over by the time they're up, stuff like that needs some work, still it's looking good and i look forward to seeing how it improves!

Thanks for the feedback! The GUI just needs some work to make the small icons. There's already a small icon for the Magno boots and Reload Speed, but we need icons for the SMG, Speed upgrade, Laser Mines, Clip Size, Iron Sights and Sentry Upgrade.

The objectives we can already kind of do using the dialogue GUI, I think maybe a little objectives tracker would help. Stats are a great idea. I think we can probably start collecting those and show a screen at the end of the game.

Sorry about the errors you're seeing in the log. If you keep seeing them can you send the log files to xenoswarm2013@gmail.com?
  • AichmanAichman Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22782Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited August 2013
    It would be awesome if this were possible.

"Get official ns2 maps and make some changes like, you start at Docking, in a escape map, running from generator hive to Launching pad through ball court, into locker room, courtyard then go to cafeteria and escape in the transport on launching pad"

You only need, UWE agreeing to the use of the map, and block paths to make the map a linear path, and even remove section that will not be used to get some performance up.

Go on and have a nice journey into space, but ohhh we will be out of fuel in no time, better land on that Space Station and get what we need, After landing un Shuttle bay (yes it is ns2_descent), an attack at Launch control puts the group on escape mode, without fuel to evacuate fast by just going back to shuttle bay, the team realize they only can get out by taking what the manifest says is in Shipping and looks like fuel, the path takes them to Plaza-> Fabrication -> Energy flow -> Hydroanalysis and Shipping, where they find crashed crates and a floor flooded in fuel, then they choose to use the escape pods in Drone bay that will deliver them into the surface facility."

The End...

Or not, ¿could that facility be Tram? It is possible for this fearless team to survive through Tram to get into lets say a rocket that every week is launched with whatever tram shipping facility process into mmm refinery to get it refined... but what a hopeless universe is this, that everyplace our surviving team gets it is filled up with aggressive lifeforms that will not stop until all human life is killed.

Another could feature would be insert audio message or hud message that get triggered when you arrive to a room, like portal glados giving you info, when you get to Shipping in Descent version, it says "Oh myyyy, it seems like the fuel is lost, I recommend the use of escape pods in Drone Bay, try to don't die on your way HA HA HA"

Just dropping some ideas.
  • GroverGrover Join Date: 2012-04-05 Member: 149990Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It is great fun to play this mod. Big thank you to all who are working on it.

Just mentioning my experiences below although you probably know most if not all already. Fully aware it's a beta, not complaining here.

As others have mentioned, I also encounter movement bugs now and then, more often in backward movement than forward, but some rounds it's only possible to get ahead by bunny hopping all the time. It feels like rubber banding but doubt it is a lag issue as at times it's only backward motion having the problem.

The buy menu is often not functioning correctly anymore after death, class change or on a next round. For instance buying clip size increase suddenly cannot be bought anymore, or having 3000 points and not being able to buy a jet pack.

I share the feeling of others that the jet pack is too overpowered, it takes most of the challenge away and promotes people to not coop by flying far ahead of the team causing problems by spawning hordes of aliens coming for the people left behind. I admit the first couple of times the jet pack was great fun but personally I prefer the challenge more after a while and stopped buying it unless there is a movement issue. Perhaps it is possible to balance it by buying fly time upgrades at the cost of lowering armor/ammo capacity? Or more wild, if skulks could jump of walls and floor to snap at flying marines and a bit more accuracy for skulk spikes and gorge spit to make it harder just to hover a bit and kill everything below.

Tried playing it solo (on Mr. P's server, not local) but this is very tough. You have to play support (not a bad thing really) but it still is very unforgiving. Specially on the map where the hive can be at multiple spots (forgot the map name) the number of aliens is brutal due to the amount of alien spawn points (it's even very hard for groups which is cool, but makes it impossible to solo). Maybe a reduced build time for structures when playing solo would be an option.

A count down timer like in the great combat mod would help increase the pressure here as well.

The scout speed at start is already pretty fast, upgrading it makes it kind of crazy (maybe intended to start slower?).

The flamethrower is pretty weak.

Not sure if there is a trick to the Minegate map but never been able to get past the area where there are 2 doors in a pit with one having a panel which appears to be interactable (shows E) but does nothing.

A very dark map where you could buy or pickup those breakable glowing sticks (with limited duration) to drop to create some light would be cool.

I get the buy menu bug as well.

Rejoining the ready room mid game bugs it.
    As does typing retry into console. Rejoining the server.
    ( Rejoining the server mid game - Created a ghost name in the scoreboard also. no one else could see it but I could see too versions of myself on my scoreboard )

Going into the ready room or typing retry into console: Bugs the extended ammo clip.
    Going into the ready room or typing retry into console: Your resources - they don't reset.
    Nor do any of your building get destroyed.

Going into the ready room or typing retry into console: Buying the jetpack seems bugged. You can afford it as your resources don't reset but you can't buy it due to your level restriction. Just a bit confusing.

@Grover the maze map is my creation and I'm flying by the seat of my pants on it's creation. I agree it's brutal as a single player as I do a lot of testing on it and have to solo it all the time. I keep making adjustments to make it hard but not impossible and currently alone one of the paths is impossible. But some other features i'm going to add should balance it out a bit more I just ask for some patience on that front.
    @WorthyRival it's a very nice map mate, the brutal nature of it is what makes it extra special and I certainly would not want you to make concessions on it to make it playable solo at the expense coop. The primary focus of the mod and maps should be on coop as there is where the most fun lies.

In my opinion, being solo in the game should give the player some extra boost to help compensate for missing distraction of the aliens by other team members to allow for building structures (like reduced build time). Currently, solo you often cannot keep the aliens long enough away to build sentries because you have to keep shooting and reloading, it is not something to fix on mapping level.
    I've published an update today to fix the bugs with weapons being dropped when you get a jetpack and players being injured in the ready room if they were down at the end of the round.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    edited August 2013
    Thanks, hopefully you can fix the movement errors next, as i would say they're the biggest issue right now.
  • angelousangelous Join Date: 2013-03-18 Member: 184073Members, WC 2013 - Silver
    Hells yes! This mod will break my NS2 break :D
    edited August 2013
    We're aware of some issues with both Xenoswarm and Combat Mode with build 252. I'm working on fixing Combat Mode first then Xenoswarm. I've already made some progress this morning and I'll hopefully be able to give you an update (or maybe release new versions) this evening.

Some other Xenoswarm news: There's a new Xenoswarm map in the works by Magneto! We did a little playtest yesterday and it's quite fun. A sort of canyon level. I'll be adding it to the official rotation once we fix up Xenoswarm.
    edited September 2013
    Finally! I think I've fixed all the breaking errors that were stopping people playing Xenoswarm. in b254. The latest version is up on the workshop for you to enjoy!

Edit: Scratch that. Every time I publish the latest Xenoswarm it publishes Combat with the Xenoswarm title instead... seriously... one of those days that I hate the workshop.
    A new version of Xenoswarm has been published to the workshop. This fixes all the issues with b254! Happy alien stomping!
    edited September 2013
    Unfortunately the longest I could play in 4 attempts is 3 minutes. In all cases the game crashed. In the longest one I had problems typing too, I could not see what I typed in team chat. The normal game and combat runs fine for me (well, except for the problems most people have with build 255).
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    I have the same problems with not being able to see what I type, and whenever I die, the game crashes... so don't die :)

EDIT: I only crash at death, when there are others not dead at that time. I guess it's related to the wave spawning. If I'm playing alone on the server, I can die without crashing, or if the other players are waiting for me to die.
    @ScardyBob thanks for the update! That should give us enough info to fix Xenoswarm at least...
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I get an error relating to badges, pretty sure extra entities mod is not working either, making some maps unplayable.
    I could play a game a bit longer today, think for about 15 mins. Some things were really slow, like getting control back after dying, gorge spit projectiles hovering in the air, etc. The cause is probably due to a huge amount of errors being generated. When I started the game my log was at 0 bytes, when it hung at the end and I had to force it to shut down, the log was 242MB.

Like SamusDroid, for me it is also filled with errors related to badges. Here is the last bit of the log:
    Error: lua/GUIUnitStatus.lua:495: attempt to get length of field 'BadgeTextures' (a nil value)
    [Client] Script Error #45753: lua/GUIUnitStatus.lua:495: attempt to get length of field 'BadgeTextures' (a nil value)
    Call stack:
    #1: UpdateUnitStatusList lua/GUIUnitStatus.lua:495
    self = GUIUnitStatus { }
    activeBlips = {1= {Action="", ArmorFraction=0, BadgeTexture="", ForceName=false, HasWelder=false, HealthBarPosition=cdata, HealthFraction=0, Hint="Base location", IsCrossHairTarget=false, Name="Tech point", Position=cdata, Status=1, StatusFraction=0, TeamType=0, WorldOrigin=cdata }, 2= {Action="", ArmorFraction=1, BadgeTexture="", ForceName=false, HasWelder=false, HealthBarPosition=cdata, HealthFraction=1, Hint="Marine base", IsCrossHairTarget=false, IsFriend=true, Name="Command Station", Position=cdata, Status=1, StatusFraction=0, TeamType=1, WorldOrigin=cdata } }
    deltaTime = 0.068861611187458
    numBlips = 2
    baseResearchRot = 0.6937255859375
    showHints = false
    currentIndex = 1
    (for index) = 1
    (for limit) = 2
    (for step) = 1
    i = 1
    blipData = {Action="", ArmorFraction=0, BadgeTexture="", ForceName=false, HasWelder=false, HealthBarPosition=cdata, HealthFraction=0, Hint="Base location", IsCrossHairTarget=false, Name="Tech point", Position=cdata, Status=1, StatusFraction=0, TeamType=0, WorldOrigin=cdata }
    updateBlip = {ActionText=GUIItem { }, ArmorBar=GUIItem { }, ArmorBarBg=GUIItem { }, Badges= {1=GUIItem { }, 2=GUIItem { } }, Border=GUIItem { }, BorderMask=GUIItem { }, GraphicsItem=GUIAnimatedItem { }, HealthBar=GUIItem { }, HealthBarBg=GUIItem { }, HintText=GUIItem { }, NameText=GUIItem { }, OverLayGraphic=GUIAnimatedItem { }, ProgressBackground=GUIItem { }, ProgressText=GUIItem { }, ProgressingIcon=GUIItem { }, ScreenX=0, ScreenY=0, smokeyBackground=GUIItem { }, statusBg=GUIItem { } }
    playerTeamType = 1
    teamType = 1
    isEnemy = false
    showDetail = false
    healthBarBgColor = cdata
    armorBarBgColor = cdata
    alpha = 0
    hintVisible = false
    textColor = cdata
    #2: Update lua/GUIUnitStatus.lua:533
    self = GUIUnitStatus { }
    #3: Update lua/GUIManager.lua:235
    self = GUIManager { }
    (for index) = 11
    (for limit) = 1
    (for step) = -1
    s = 11
    #4: lua/GUIManager.lua:333
    Error: 12 memory leaks in 'ClientWorld' (142800 bytes)
    Error: Attempted to load remote options from a file that does not exist.
    Error: 12 memory leaks in 'Client' (142800 bytes)
    Error: 12 memory leaks in 'Engine' (142800 bytes)

45753 of these messages will be roughly 242MB ;)
    Okay I think I've fixed the server errors, but this has actually made things worse. It's now crashing for me every time I die. I think it's something to do with the 'injured player' animations but I can't work out what needs changing. Working on it!
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    I get an error relating to badges, pretty sure extra entities mod is not working either, making some maps unplayable.
    Same here. Here's a client log with all of the errors: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5490563/XS_log_Client_09122013.zip

Also, it'd be nice if ns2_xs_maze had a simple marine join spot in its readyroom. I've had people needlessly idle in the readyroom because they couldn't figure out how to join the game (or even better, just bypass the readyroom and deposit everyone straight on marines).
  • trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Dang, would really love to see this playable again!
    Still having problems with the animation graph - I think since the multiple player models were added the calling convention must have changed, maybe I need to rebuild the animation graph from the ground up and double check how the injured player model is instantiated. I'll give it another go tomorrow.
  • SpiritwindSpiritwind Join Date: 2008-04-20 Member: 64116Members
    It seems pretty awesome, checked on out the other night, and had a blast when I was alone. But when I had a friend join, as soon as he died it showed him in the No Animation stance, and I crashed ^^. Sadly didn't try it again after that, but will soon :).
    Good news everyone! I think I've fixed the major crash bug when you die in Xenoswarm. This was caused because of the new player model variants code causing a crash if you set the model at the wrong time. If anyone encounters any other weirdness please let me know!

Server ops, please update your servers!
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2013
    MCMLXXXIV wrote: »
    Good news everyone! I think I've fixed the major crash bug when you die in Xenoswarm. This was caused because of the new player model variants code causing a crash if you set the model at the wrong time. If anyone encounters any other weirdness please let me know!

Server ops, please update your servers!

Welcome to the Club, don't try to enable the Ranking system now ;)
  • GrimfangGrimfang Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13086Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Seems much better, no more dying crash bug. Is there any way to change class after you select it initially?
    Yep, just type the name of the class you want to switch to in the console.

Or you can type 'class' in the console and you get the menu...
  • kk20kk20 Join Date: 2012-10-30 Member: 164592Members
    finally had a game. not too bad. hive = lag for me though.