August 30: Reinforced - Natural Selection 2

Comments

• FuzionMonkeyFuzionMonkey Join Date: 2005-05-04 Member: 50889Members
    If there is Linux support in this update, is OS X support coming soon?

I doubt it.. they make many 4.0ghz macs? xD

Not everyone using OS X is using a Mac. :)
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    You would use OS X when you don't absolutely have to?
  • PopturePopture Join Date: 2012-11-22 Member: 172879Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My primary machine is a macbook. Runs the game just fine.
  • G1RG1R Join Date: 2012-08-23 Member: 156275Members
    DX11 .... performance increase?
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Unlikely. But we will see.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    G1R wrote: »

Yes.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I have to use Macs for work (because my section uses macs). Just persuaded my boss that my next workstations should be running linux, so I can finally get some decent hardware in there. In my experience using macs at work for the last 6 years, they are slow, massively overpriced and desperately unreliable. I've had numerous hardware faults, failures and design flaws to contend with.

Needless to say I'll never be spending any of my own money on any apple products. Hopeless garbage.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Roobubba wrote: »
    I have to use Macs for work (because my section uses macs).

LOL I just was like "Wtf, MACs in real life??"

:D
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    Glad to see a well understood name for this update was used (instead of some off the wall name).

As for motion blur. I agree with some of the other posters here in that I cannot stand motion blurring. I turn it off in every game I play as the fuzziness it brings to my screen is annoying as hell. I prefer a crisper look. Which is also why I have atmospherics and other options turned off in NS2.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    ScardyBob wrote: »
    AuroN2 wrote: »
    Natural selection 3: Colonial Marines vs Space Orks
    Fixed.
    So marines won?
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    Ghosthree3 wrote: »

Yes.

Are you in playtest or is that speculation?
    Desther wrote: »

Yes.

..It's DX11...it runs faster than DX9...ergo performance increase?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I can tell you so far, I've enjoyed DX11 more. ;-)
  • SammeySammey Join Date: 2012-06-14 Member: 153266Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Because of hilarious glitches, or better performance? :P
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Sammey wrote: »

That would be telling, wouldn't it :P

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    Obraxis wrote: »

That would be telling, wouldn't it :P
    Yeah it definitely would. So... tell us...

• Blake IceBlake Ice Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172262Members
    @Hugh

So creating a kick start for every patch?

Before you guys close up, could you make a 2.49 version of the game available?
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester

Another possibility would be new shiny effects to sap away any newly gained performance. Tesselated Gorge bellies with realtime reflections all the way!
    That way, aliens wouldn't necessarily be alerted to a marine's presence in a dark environment if the marine needed to see.

Are you implying there are aliens who are not using alien vision 24/7 for the entire match and could actually notice marine flashlights?

I have long passed the point where I considered to switch off my flashlight in the dark to not give my presence away, with the reasoning that most aliens will likely not see my light anyway and instead spot me as large orange blob on green background wherever I move.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    CrushaK wrote: »
    That way, aliens wouldn't necessarily be alerted to a marine's presence in a dark environment if the marine needed to see.

Are you implying there are aliens who are not using alien vision 24/7 for the entire match and could actually notice marine flashlights?

I have long passed the point where I considered to switch off my flashlight in the dark to not give my presence away, with the reasoning that most aliens will likely not see my light anyway and instead spot me as large orange blob on green background wherever I move.

But you can see flashlight with alien vision.
  • _Necro__Necro_ Join Date: 2011-02-15 Member: 81895Members, Reinforced - Shadow

Yes.

It does? Do you have a source for this? Or is it because 11 is bigger than 9?
    I'm not going to bother finding it, but I'm pretty sure it was posted a while back when DX11 was first announced that DX11 runs faster than DX9.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    edited August 2013
    _Necro_ wrote: »

Yes.

I don't know if 11 is in this patch (don't think it is) but for graphics cards that can utilize it I believe it renders things faster

As for the extra visual goodies something like dx11 can bring, I don't think we'll be seeing anything like that(just getting the rendering). Also I don't think there's a single game in the world which has properly used the full potential of directx 10 even, let alone 11; but it's ok microsoft keep on releasing new unwanted versions of windows; you're just delaying the time until we can get another direct x which gives more time for game devs to keep on using it :)
  • DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members

I'm not going to bother finding it, but I'm pretty sure it was posted a while back when DX11 was first announced that DX11 runs faster than DX9.

If I Google "dx9 vs dx11" all I see are people complaining that games with 11 give lower fps.
  • SevenOfMineSevenOfMine Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67892Members
    Linux support, finally? Hell yeah!
    If I Google "dx9 vs dx11" all I see are people complaining that games with 11 give lower fps.

Lower FPS does not always mean 'worse'. DX11 can bring framerate stability as well, which is often more important once you get above a certain threshold.
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester

Yeah but that's because enabling 11 is using a 'few' graphical improvement etc etc, and most games using dx11 are pretty horrible with optimization; ex: metro last light - terrible performance, highest settings to medium you have low framerates, but you put it on low settings and you magically get 200 frames per second with minimal difference in visual quality. If it's just being rendered through 11 then a card using dx11 should get some improvements

if you're on a dx9 card then it'll still use dx9 and I don't believe any difference will be made there but this is just what I think no facts
    xen32 wrote: »
    But you can see flashlight with alien vision.

Unless I've had a rendering bug for this entire time, I am pretty sure you can't.
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    _Necro_ wrote: »

I got a major performance boost in L.A. Noire back when they patched the DX10 support in.

On DX9 could I run the game with medium settings and got about 25 fps at best, often dropping below.
    With DX10 I could crank the settings up to maximum and never fell under 35 fps.

One of the biggest advantages of it for me is that it gives me basically free extra memory under my 32 bit OS.
    With DX9 the game needs to mirror the content of the graphic card's VRAM in the normal system RAM to make use of it, so your 1 GB VRAM card won't help you much if that also means that you need to give 1 GB of normal RAM to fully use it. This problem no longer exists under DX10 or 64 bit OS.
  • ResRes Join Date: 2003-08-27 Member: 20245Members
    CrushaK wrote: »
    One of the biggest advantages of it for me is that it gives me basically free extra memory under my 32 bit OS.
    With DX9 the game needs to mirror the content of the graphic card's VRAM in the normal system RAM to make use of it, so your 1 GB VRAM card won't help you much if that also means that you need to give 1 GB of normal RAM to fully use it. This problem no longer exists under DX10 or 64 bit OS.

People still use a 32bit OS?