Need help making a mod

schuschu Join Date: 2012-08-04 Member: 154768Members, Reinforced - Shadow
I need someone who knows lua to help me create a mod for NS2.
I have an awesome idea of how to increase teamwork in NS2 and make the game more rewarding all at the same time.
I just don't know how to code in lua so i haven't the slightest idea how to begin.

So with the addition of an Alien Commander, the fade ball seems to be the best viable strategy to use on aliens. I have a few ways to address this that will guarantee fades won't feel like a bulldozer powerhouse and still be very useful in pub and competitive play.

NS1 didn't have fades running rampant because gorges had to build hives/resource towers/chambers. So the lifeforms were more spread out and even. With my idea, this will bring more dynamic gaming and more enjoyable feedback from new and vet gamers of NS2, without copying the NS1 format. So yes, there will still be commanders on both teams.

If you want to help me out in this adventure, please contact me on here or on steam. Steam name is schu.

Basic overview of what the mod will be:

All NS2 gameplay will remain the same. I'm not adding in a new game mode like combat or last stand. This will be a vanilla version of NS2 but more enjoyable, faster, and more rewarding.

Pres is removed, point system is added in its place. Earn points by building, killing, welding, healing, assisting and anything else in the game that helps your team progress to the final goal. Winning. Just note, this is not Res for Kills. You buy everything with points.

Tres is still in the game.

LMG bullets are either increased in size or the LMG cone is increased. Reduced magazine size to compensate for more bullets landing. This should help out new players tremendously.

Biomass is tweaked a bit to help all lifeforms with movement mechanics along with hp increase already in place. All lifeforms will earn a speed boost just for having more biomass.

Full working tool tips so people know exactly what everything does. No hidden variables of any kind. Such as biomass telling you it increased your HP and speed.

Arms lab timer for research tweaked. Faster Level 1 research for Armor 1 and Weapons 1. Time increases the more you tech into it.

Fade hp lowered slightly.

Shotgun spread reworked to get better accuracy but slightly less damage.

Fades get new abilities and removal of vortex and shadowstep. Replaced with metabolize and a self-vortex to decrease damage for a short time only castable on the fade.

Mines lowered in cost. Since pres is removed, points will be used to purchase mines. They will be significantly lower than what 15 pres was.

Lerk reworked. Becomes more supportive. Spores become a ranged attack. Shoot out in front of the lerk and hits where your xhair is aiming. Possibly remove bite and be all ranged. Spores would deal less damage and not last as long as it does now but hits a bigger area. Not by much, but still bigger. Spores and spikes would be the lerks starting attacks. If that doesn't work too well bite will obviously come back but i do wanna test this out.

Onos is buffed. More hp/armor. Possibly introduction to a new attack besides just one. Don't know what that will be just yet. Devour?

Jetpack fuel reworked. Don't know yet but i wanna try more fuel.

Dual exos reworked. Less sustained damage and more burst. Gun overheats faster.

Thats all i have for now but give me a message on steam or on here if you're interested. Thanks

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2013
    Take a look at the RFP system, balance stuff can be done in those two balance files (i only changed points given for things).

Edit: i just saw that i removed lua/Balance.lua (there are all dmg values etc.) as i don't need it.