My personal rant on the state of NS2

2»

Comments

• VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    tuxator wrote: »
    hub3rtu2 wrote: »
    I want a benchmark mode, where it would spawn two end-game teams just shooting, biting each other with lots of explosions and effects, camera going as fast as lerk.

If we run that on a supercomputer from CERN or so maybe we can get 120 fps!

In theory. BUT! Those supercomputers are mainly Linux or Unix driven, based upon my current experience our best bet is a segfault after ~2 to 5 minutes and 40 FPS. On the bright side, we won't get an out of memory exception! (or something to that effect)

Gosh, luckily they added Linux support in the last builds.
  • ZoxufZoxuf Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186318Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think something similar to the "last stand" mod, but where you fight bots instead of other players could work well as a co-op game mode.
  • PhoeBubbaPhoeBubba Join Date: 2012-09-23 Member: 160475Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2013
    tuxator wrote: »
    And if someone decides for himself, that gaming is an important environment to him and he loves gaming, he'll of course try to impress other people that are part of that environment, and badges make it really easy to do that. You've an actual proof that you did something cool and you don't even have to get the Guiness Record team to your home for that!

That is a fair position to take, I'm just not sure it is worth the risk of diverting the focus of players away from the game itself. At the end of the day the objective of Natural Selection 2 should be to destroy the filthy hive, or munch the delicious humans. Social standing amongst peers and trophies of transient glories seem like too small a reward for incentivising people to rambo off on their own so they can get the "kill a lerk, a skulk and a hydra within 20 seconds of each other" achievement. I enjoy Natural Selection 2 a lot more than I do other competitive games I have played, but the respect and adoration of the community is secondary to the enjoyment I get when even one person on the server has a fun game because of my efforts (or the easy kills I feed them if they are on the other team D:)

Edit: there's an insinuation here that I have the respect and adoration of the community, I'd just like to clarify and say that is sooooo not the case. I meant to say that one person having a good game feels more important to me than the thought of all the forums knowing my name because I am The Best Jetpack Grenade Launcher player.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Zoxuf wrote: »
    I think something similar to the "last stand" mod, but where you fight bots instead of other players could work well as a co-op game mode.

The xenoswarm team is on this. Currently they're lacking maps, AFAIK.
  • Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Add challanges to the game, that give XP based on difficulty but don't unlock anything but a visual rank for people.

That's something for the grindy people and something fun for others if you are bored :P