Goodbye Ns

2»

Comments

• SkWyReLSkWyReL Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9360Members
    The problem is, of the thousands who play these games, only a few notice the bugs. So, in order to fix these BUGS with testers, they would need thousands.

Hats off to NS for NO CLIENT UPDATES so far.
    Truly something to admire.

<b>LONG LIVE NS</b>

.:SkWyReL:.
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Only a few?

BLIZZARD.

That's all I'm saying about "only a few"

Or how about Shogun, which EA decided didn't need to support nVIDIA cards! NVIDIA?!?! HOW MUCH BIGGER DO YOU WANT, FFS!?

(Yes they did fix it, yes, it took them until the expansion was released)
  • CatgirlCatgirl Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5741Members
    Well, for Blizzard's sake; most of their patches are balance changes. Tweak damage of this, change cost of that, fiddle with the range and damage of the other thing... Heck, that's what NS's patches have basically been so far.
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Yeah, but after a year & a half in just the public playtest, never mind in-house.

Don't you think that should all be RIGHT by the time it's released?

Example : A chimpanzee with no thumbs (Your average WC3 Ladder player is slightly below this) could have told you Night Elves were broken at the release.

B-ROK-EN.
  • CatgirlCatgirl Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 5741Members
    It's the same thing as NS...player skills are such a large factor that balancing off the cost of units (AND all their strengths) is extrememly difficult when you can't use the theoretical "equal-skill player" factor.
    Or that Bliz had this little pipedream that they could make an RTS that wasn't just a tank-rush.

Well, they did, unfortunately instead it just became a case of "I can invent a lamer weird **obscenity** tactic than j00" fest.

Offensive towering? Jeez.

Which is the thing I say needs fixing in NS. If marines were REALLY deployed like that to counter the Kharaa, would they go around, building a turret at EVERY corner? No. That means there's something still wrong.

When marines use sentries for static defense so they don't have to run around every 3 seconds, or to stall the Kharaa (a la Aliens) so they can mount a better defense, then they're probably okay. Until then, the standard turret (and yes, the OC too) have got issues...
  • Teufel_EldritchTeufel_Eldritch Join Date: 2002-01-28 Member: 124Members
    Ive decided not to play until the next patch as well. Not because of what LazerMane has said but because of the ReadyRoom exploit. NS just isnt fun with ppl using it imo. Why should I continue doing something that isnt fun? No Ill wait until Flayra releases a fix for the exploit, then Ill play again.

However......I do think that LazerMane did bring up a good point regarding Skulks and climbing. While the way they climb now wont keep me from playing the game I do think Skulks would be easier to control if thier movements were controlled in the same manner as the AvP Aliens were controlled. That is...you have to press and hold a button to climb. Thats just my opinion and like I said before the manner in which Skulks climb will not keep me from playing the game. What will keep me from playing the game is exploiters/cheaters/lamers.
  • GibbyGibby Join Date: 2002-04-26 Member: 518Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Twex+Nov 23 2002, 05:00 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Twex @ Nov 23 2002, 05:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->(and as far as i know, not liking NS is not a crime...)<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is on the NS boards! Durrr...*Drool*
  • Secret_NinjaSecret_Ninja Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9286Members
    Sigh...somebody throws a hissy-fit and decides to post it up here.

His points are valid as long as you consider that they are <b>purely f***ing personal</b>. Playing as aliens in AvP and AvP2 is disorienting, and while that may be the purpose, it would detract a bit from the skulks, in my opinion. It would add atmosphere if the skulk model actually had its legs attached to whatever surface, but I think that even if that occurred, the viewpoint should remain the same.

Funny, when I first started playing NS, the little onscreen help told me that I had to hold crouch to crawl on ceilings and walls...unfortunately, this now seems to be the button to remove yourself from them. But I guess nobody noticed when they released the game.
  • RazorClawRazorClaw Join Date: 2002-11-06 Member: 7413Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Shockwave+Nov 23 2002, 02:07 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Shockwave @ Nov 23 2002, 02:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->Example : A chimpanzee with no thumbs (Your average WC3 Ladder player is slightly below this) could have told you Night Elves were broken at the release.

B-ROK-EN.<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Broken in what way? I only play custom maps in WC3 though, never bothered to play ladder or standard games. Custom maps are basically what I liked most about starcraft, and I enjoy those in WC3 too.

I don't care what you say I think WC3 is a great game, better than AOE2, it's so difficult to control the units in AOE2 same in AOM. In WC3 you just order them to attack and they fight any units they run into while moving to where you ordered them to go.

I hate the controls in AOE games, feels like you have no controls over the battles might as well close ones eyes and hope for the best.
  • DruBoDruBo Back In Beige Join Date: 2002-02-06 Member: 172Members, NS1 Playtester
    One plan for a future version is for the skulk models to rotate so their feet face the surface they're climbing on. Unfortunately, I think that won't change how odd the Onos looks when he climbs a ladder...
  • RydiakRydiak Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 4097Members
    I still think NS is better than AvP:GE, AvP2, and AvP: PH combined, and probably will be better than AvP3 (if created) if Monolith's track record on AvP2 preceeds them. Not playing NS is your own loss. Adios!
  • V_MANV_MAN V-MAN Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6217Members, Constellation
    <!--QuoteBegin--LazerMane+Nov 23 2002, 04:39 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (LazerMane @ Nov 23 2002, 04:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->expirience with a game as polished as AvP2

<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    WTF polished?? LOL AvP2 is a good game but online it sucks major arse simply because it is full of sooo many bugs still (crappy net code, animations etc) and the maps are the size of a shoe box.
    RazorClaw : They had a 85% win rate. B.R.O.K.E.N

And yeah, I Agree. The skulk model should rotate, but keep the viewpoint correct. That's the best option.

C'mon, who can honestly say they didn't at least a few times get fragged, just because they were too busy working out where the lousy floor had got to?
  • Thraka2Thraka2 Join Date: 2002-12-03 Member: 10426Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Destiny+Nov 23 2002, 11:54 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Destiny @ Nov 23 2002, 11:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->reminding me that this engine being 6 years old is pretty sad actually...
    soon this game will be like pacman... overtaken by technology n cra.p.. =''' [

i hope valve cums up with another engine n promotes mod making....<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    me wishes it was on UT2003.. omg can you imagine the kind of game we could have??? it would be the absolute best.. I would play it way more then I play now!!! I swear.. I would not buy another game...ever.. if it went commercial.. I would buy it DEFINITLY.. provided it was on Unreal Engine
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    there are reasons this is on HL, if you wana know why, go serch the forums

and don't revive way dead posts
  • BrutusBrutus Join Date: 2002-10-20 Member: 1555Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--Thansal+Dec 18 2002, 09:08 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (Thansal @ Dec 18 2002, 09:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->there are reasons this is on HL, if you wana know why, go serch the forums

and don't revive way dead posts<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yea, because another member may not like it.

(Note the sarcasm)

If you don't like people reviving posts, don't read them.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Don't need to bring back the dead (posts)!

<b><span style='color:green'>**PARALYZED**</span></b>
This discussion has been closed.