[Linux] NS2 black screen if steam notifications are shown.

MilanFINMilanFIN Join Date: 2013-09-18 Member: 188323Members
As in the title, when steam says a friend of mine is playing something on the bottom right of the screen the screen goes black with ns cursor shown only. Same happens with skype notifications.

Using 13.8 beta drivers on Mint 15 on radeon hd6850, fx-8320.
other than that game is fine.

Comments

• GrowlyWalrusGrowlyWalrus Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185319Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'm having a similar problem, but it seems to be happening all the time when I'm not in windowed mode. Here's a full report, with my ns2.log attached. Let me know if there's any other information you guys need. I'm new to linux, but I'm also a software engineer so I'm diving into it as much as I can.

Black screen appears with only the cursor and an orange square surrounding it. All sound effects work, as does the menu button. Video displays fine in windowed mode, but problem appears in either fullscreen windowed or fullscreen modes. During the run when this log was taken, I switched from windowed to fullscreen windowed, at which point it resumed displaying all black with the orange cursor. All sounds & buttons seemed to continue functioning.

I'm running a Radeon HD7800 series with 2GB DDR5 video ram on the latest elementaryOS 64 bit distribution with a i5-2500 & 8GB system memory. Video drivers drivers are the latest fglrx from the AMD website, listed in the catalyst control center with
    Driver Packaging Version 13.20.11-130814a-161038E-ATI
    and
    OpenGL Version 4.2.12441 Compatibility Profile Context 13.20.11
    I should also note I have Catalyst A.I disabled.

I have opted into the steam client beta, however I tried opting out & restarting with no success.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Howdy,

I don't know if this is a possibility for either of you, but you can disable the game overlay and it should stop showing the notifications.

steam >> settings >> ingame settings >> enable steam community in game

I will make sure the devs see this one as well.

• MilanFINMilanFIN Join Date: 2013-09-18 Member: 188323Members
    problem mostly solved by doing that an disabling ingame notifications on steam. Also in skype I was able to limit all notifications to sound only...
  • GrowlyWalrusGrowlyWalrus Join Date: 2013-05-21 Member: 185319Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I tried disabling notifications, however the problem persists.
  • ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Growly, sorry. I didn't read your post closely.

Seems like you are having another error that I cannot recall seeing a whole lot about. can you add the verbose command option and you log might have more details right now it just looks like bad times are happening.

the verbose command option? --verbose on ns2_linux32?
    Please find attached:
    -the log from running steam from the command line with --verbose and piping to a file
    -the log from running ns2_linux32 with the same
    -the log.txt file generated by ns2.

Before running this attempt I wiped the cache folder. I also updated the driver to the latest 13.10 from the amd website.
    So, the logs you posted are pretty much clean.

Something is happening behind the scenes that is causing the failure.