In-Game Mod Downloader

catolmcatolm Norway Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188909Members, Reinforced - Silver
I wonder will this in-game mode downloader be tweaked at some point? It seems like it is capped at a rather horribly slow download speed?
For whenever it takes just a few seconds to download mods regularly, (especially through the ded server on the same line) it takes several minutes through the in-game mod downloader. If this is capped somehow, can we can an option to increase the speed cap ourselves? We do not use ISDN and 28.8k modems anymore, we often use 50-100 mbit lines and the like.

Cheers. Chariot

Comments

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    It downloads through the steam workshop using steam. I don't think anything can be done.

Also fk you for having 100mbit.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I think if you have speed of light the whole time anyway, you can be fine with the speed of sound for some mods.
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would like it to be implemented using the steam client. It work more reliable, although the last update to the game system , the one who added some extra retries, mitigated the problems that exists now.

Look at how dota2 does it. You activate a guide, the mod is downloaded immediately in the steam client. When it finishes,it is activated ingame, and very quickly.

Usually, when trying to enter a server were I don't have the requirded mod/s, I quit the game and subscribe in the workshop. It downloads really fast compared to within the game.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    ..Yes...that is exactly what already happens, steam downloads it, the game doesn't download anything at all.
  • WalsaWalsa Join Date: 2011-06-28 Member: 106813Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Only if you subscribe through steam or the overlay in game. If you join a server and don´t have the mods, the game is downloading it for you and not steam. Maybe it uses the same api, but the game handles it different.
    At least that is what I see in my pc....
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think if you have speed of light the whole time anyway, you can be fine with the speed of sound for some mods.

Wait what?
    That's like saying 'If you have a 56k modem the whole time, you can be fine with a 12k connection occasionally.'

I pay for 60MBit, and if I don't get 60MBit (where the server can cope with that), I'm not happy about it. Thankfully, that barely ever happens ;)
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited November 2013
    Even with this ↓ speed(slightly skewed, but still awesome, really 500mb down ;) ) it downloads SOOO slow. Like really. It's not their fault, blame dumb workshop.