Lets talk about Drifter, Drifter eggs, Normal eggs, and Shade details

NazoNazo Such Is Life in The Zone Join Date: 2010-12-16 Member: 75720Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
edited November 2013 in Ideas and Suggestions
(Hope this was the right place for this)

I have recently been wondering, why the orange'ish embryos are still In drifters/their eggs/norm eggs

You can never see them unless you specatate in-to them or mess around with the egg spawn camera

I sware around the beta/alpha days UWE said they were origanally planning on having eggs/drifters/shade(?) semi-transparent, to actully see the embryos (similar to these images
LifeformEgg_LowRes.jpg
shade_render.jpg
Drifter_render.jpg

Hope we can get a dev response if effects like this are possible in-game and if they can be added later (if not, why havent they just removed the embryos after all this time)

Comments

• rantologyrantology Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143750Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Transparency was planned but never implemented, all of those models would require that.... I have no idea if UWE still intends to implement it, but I would guess that it's a bit late for that.
  • os2firefoxos2firefox Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185624Members
    Yes, kill all the frame rates... it's not bad enough already, lol.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I don't see why it's too late, isn't it just a case of adding/ modifying the shader for the egg shell?
    I can see why it might have been considered costly to render the embryo back in older builds with much worse performance, but it shouldnt be a big deal now, right?
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    The engine doesn't support that kind of transparency. Everything transparent you currently see in the game was done in a very hackish way.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited December 2013
    CrushaK wrote: »
    The engine doesn't support that kind of transparency. Everything transparent you currently see in the game was done in a very hackish way.

Where is the source of this information? Opacity doesn't look hacky to me.
  • Dictator93Dictator93 Join Date: 2008-12-21 Member: 65833Members, Reinforced - Shadow

While true (not much can be done about it)... it is nice to dream. Those transparceny effects (for the hive, the egg, and the drifter) would be really nice to see in the game one day.
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited December 2013
    SamusDroid wrote: »

Where is the source of this information? Opacity doesn't look hacky to me.

Read it somewhere long ago when this matter came up. Don't recall exactly where.
    Maybe not "hacky", but they said they had to fake the effect somehow with the texture because real opacity is not supported by the engine yet (probably because it's difficult to do with deferred shading).
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    As long as there's some way to make Drifters and Whips not white, I'll be all for it.