Need help building watercooling for my PC

FAIL_MurdocFAIL_Murdoc Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187257Members, NS2 Playtester, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
Hey guys

A few weeks ago the fan of my graphics card broke down. First I searched for a replacement fan online, but I couldnt find one that would fit.
I contacted the manufacturer of the card (VTX), but didnt receive a response yet.

I was thinking about overclocking cpu and gpu and then I had the Idea of getting a water cooling system.
That would basically fix and upgade my PC at the same time.

Now my problem is, I have no experience in that whatsoever.
I dont know what parts exactly I need to get a setup going that works well for my PC.

And that is where I need your help :)

What pumps, pipes and other stuff do I need to get everything working correctly?

I'm sure it helps to know what hardware I have:

CPU: Intel i7 920
Graphics: Radeon 7850 2GB
Mainboard: P6t Deluxe

Comments

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Still loving my H60 after more than 3 years on the same exact CPU, though there are better models out now. (h70, h80 etc)

So easy to do today, with closed pre built water loops that you just install with 4 screws. So many brands now doing it, too.
    No need to go through all that hassle of a custom built and expensive solution anymore.. though you still can if you want, as some consider it an art/hobby. (i consider it not worth my time or risk, especially considering the maintenance)
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    Watercooling the GPU is pretty much only doable on a custom loop though. And its not that expensive. You have to buy a pump, radiator, tubing, fittings, waterblocks for GPU and CPU, reservoir and fans for the radiator. They all pretty much do the same thing, so get what fits in your case, and that works with your budget and its pretty easy to set up with guides and such on the internet. Most modern watercooling solutions won't leak unless you have screwed up massively somehow and/or one of the parts is majorly defective.
  • FAIL_MurdocFAIL_Murdoc Join Date: 2013-08-30 Member: 187257Members, NS2 Playtester, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    Now that I know that pre built systems exist, I want to go the easy way :D
    Also I don't trust my skills in not pouring water all over my hardware:/

I will probably go with the H60, that sound very good.
    And I just found a gpu cooling kit.

I think I will get this one. any thoughts on that?
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2013
    Last (and only) H60 I had the fan was unbearably loud. The results were pretty lacklustre also, I wouldn't recommend it if you're planning on doing a meaty overclock.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    watercooling custom is better but more risky & involves more work.
    prebuild watercooling works ok but in a way less efficient then custom. (you can optimize custom)

if you go for the H series first look at what actually FITS on the vidcard. (I have a H80 on my cpu)
    If it doesnt make good contact then there is no use.
    You also must be able to fit the radiator combined with a intake and outtake fan. Those 3 together are a huge block in your case you need room for.
    And of course that room has to be inrange of your vidcard tubing wise. Because a prebuild had a certain length of tube.