Marine minimap, OP or what it should be?

BiggisBiggis Finland Join Date: 2004-02-11 Member: 26407Members, Reinforced - Supporter
Alien location too exact on the minimap? Movement should have some delay? Remove it completely? Discuss, me myself find it a little too extreme to pinpoint the location of aliens; example I cant see a skulk blending in the dark or such enviroment, but the trusty minimap gives those ''no way he saw me'' kills.

Comments

• Omega_K2Omega_K2 Join Date: 2011-12-25 Member: 139013Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Minimap is fine. It was nerfed in the past already.
  • EucomolhamasEucomolhamas Join Date: 2013-03-10 Member: 183841Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sometimes I forget there is a minimap, since I'm so used to checking 'c' every 5 seconds :P
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    Yeah, there are unfortunately times when the minimap was showing me enemies that I would not have noticed otherwise. Like Skulks hanging somewhere above me.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    CrushaK wrote: »
    Yeah, there are unfortunately times when the minimap was showing me enemies that I would not have noticed otherwise. Like Skulks hanging somewhere above me.
    Love those moments :p

to combat this I try to avoid moving as a skulk when I am in LOS of a marine that hasn't yet noticed me. I think WASD movement causes you to show up on the map but mouselooking around doesnt?

Could someone clarify what the criteria are for a skulk showing up on the map?
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2013
    Pretty sure the criteria is a line-of-sight check.
    It could check if your model is within the player's camera frustum and whether or not a trace from the Skulk's location to the player's eye location is hitting world geometry.
    Or it could do that trace and just do some simple dot product math to figure out if the Skulk is in front of the player or behind it, regardless of the exact view frustum and z location.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    CrushaK wrote: »

That means they are in your field of vision buy you just dont notice them (and they cant be cloaked). That isn't necessarily OP and the skulk would be dumb to be in your fov. I think minimap is fine.