Can we do something about flashlights?

catolmcatolm Norway Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188909Members, Reinforced - Silver
Can we please do something about the flashlight useage? Remove it's toggle and make it hold while active or something? It is being used so much needlessly by people; and while it is alright for the user of the flashlight, everyone else get's blinded by a massive smog from the player using it. This is absolutely horrible, because in most cases people won't listen to you when you ask them to turn it off when they don't need it and thus making your eyes tired of squinting.

Cheers. Chariot

Comments

• catolmcatolm Norway Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188909Members, Reinforced - Silver
    Thank you IronHorse. <3
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Disable atmospherics in your graphics options.

I've done this, and it works just fine, but I hate having to "dumb down" the game to make it easier to play. If it was just toned down a lot, it would be much more bearable... something close to 25% of what it is now would be good.
  • ritualsacrificeritualsacrifice Join Date: 2012-11-14 Member: 171148Members, Reinforced - Shadow

We've been trying to get this fixed since release, but UWE insists on obscuring your vision as much as possible. It's definitely better now than it was at release, but it's still pretty bad.

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue

We've been trying to get this fixed since release, but UWE insists on obscuring your vision as much as possible. It's definitely better now than it was at release, but it's still pretty bad.

There once was a mod :(
  • lwflwf Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58311Members, Constellation
    The mod is still around.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=113116595
    * Flashlight atmospherics toned down (when enabled). Marine flashlights now produce only half the haze of the Exo floodlight, instead of twice as much.
    * General atmospherics tuning. Type 'b_atmo' in the console to set a modifier.

Though in my option, just disable it. NS2 looks much better without the atmospherics option.
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited November 2013
    I've voiced my opinion about this before around release. It's pretty obviously stupid and inconsistent that an option which they seemingly refuse to change due to "balancing" turns off in the graphics menu (unfortunately making some of the rest of the game look arguably less cool).

It's the same as if the effects of ink or splatter turned off with an option in the graphics menu, or if the sound muffling at low health turned off with an option in the sound menu.

Either make it consistent for everyone and impossible to turn off (if it's a "balancing" feature) or don't punish the people who like eye candy. As it is now, it makes no sense.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I remember when it was the power of your sun in the palm of your hand. Disabling atmospherics did indeed fix it. Not sure if it actually ever got fixed with it on, I think I recall seeing it in patch notes a long time ago though.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    UWE should give us an option on how intense atmospherics are because ppl dont use it because either A) Too slow or B) It makes it hard too see

They should either turn it down as default or give us a slider or something.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @ritualsacrifice
    At least use a current example and build to support your argument, man :-/
    That umbra isn't remotely like that anymore, neither are the motion tracking circles.

I think things like orange outlines on everything and the intensity of drifter effects are the current things to gripe about
  • catolmcatolm Norway Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188909Members, Reinforced - Silver
    @IronHorse, yes orange outlines on things are horrible! I personally wish they weren't there at all.
  • Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I've gotta stop reading this thread title as fleshlights.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    We need BF3 style taclights.
  • ArthurDentArthurDent Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188904Members
    My system can handle atmospherics... but they make things look worse. So, yeah. I leave them off as well.

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES&#33; FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS&#33; Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Can we just replace everything with lens flares of different colors?
  • KamamuraKamamura Join Date: 2013-03-06 Member: 183736Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I have already minimized everything but high texture quality and infestation (minimal looks super ugly) to boost framerate as close to the desired 120fps as possible even in late fights so that the lightboost works. I recommend everyone doing the same.
  • naXynaXy Join Date: 2008-07-12 Member: 64618Members
    edited November 2013
    Honestly the fake flashlight effect is more annoying than anything else, it's just like in the source engine and a bunch of other games using post processing/filters etc. for the effect.
    Hurts my eyes instead of helping me see.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    but but.. I like the outlines.

Yes, atmospherics looks shiny but I gave it up as it was like impossible to play with.