Banning players from the NS2WC

1235»

Comments

• cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    fanatic wrote: »
    I have trouble putting into words just how ridiculous it is that Eissfeldt has been banned from participating in this tournament. There is not a single competitive player that believes that he has ever used a hack in a match. Yes, it was stupid of him to use a hack on his main account to spectate other players for wallhacks, but that is no reason to exclude him from playing in this tournament.

When I first heard about it, my immediate thought was "oh wow, that was silly of him, how funny". The idea that anyone in the NSWC admin group would be dense enough to punish him for it didn't even cross my mind. I still have trouble believing it actually happened. This goes beyond the rule mongering we saw during the beta, this is just pure incompetence.

Eissfeldt even suggested that he could stream every match he played in the tournament, which would show without a doubt that he isn't hacking, but that wasn't good enough either. I was really excited about the NSWC -- I was even considering making a comeback before this happened -- but there is no way I am going to support a tournament that is run in this way.

Unless the situation is rectified immediately, this tournament will live in infamy.

Yes it was stupid of him. There are better ways to find hackers though. An extreme example would be killing every bad person on the planet. There are better ways to deal with it and there is no excuse for hacking.
  • psicopsico Join Date: 2012-03-23 Member: 149266Members
    edited November 2013
    Please keep insults and flaming to yourself - GISP
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    Jekt wrote: »

See: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/129668/hacking-cheating-and-ns2-anti-cheat/p1

However I guarantee you I could find, or someone could easily make a wallhack or aimbot that it couldn't.

What's your point? This can be said about every game on the market with a capable programmer. My point was to debunk the fud Jekt posted about this gaming having zero anti cheat measures when in actuality it has a few to deter most. Sure they can be better, but what we have right now is better than nothing, especially for an indie developer like UWE. I just find it funny he's talking about how this game has zero anti cheat measures, but this damn topic is about a person that used hacks and got banned. That is the definition of irony.

To deter most? VAC has deterred whatever the first result is when you google for ns2+wallhack.
    In reality though demos with a wireframe mode / wallhack is how suspected cheaters are looked into in competition.

But sure, I'll concede that what we have is better than literally nothing.
  • DarkOmenDarkOmen Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7148Members
    I completely agree with the tournament admins' decision. Rather than make exceptions to the rules for popular players, they should encourage Eissfeldt to try clearing his name with Vavle.

Eissfeldt played with fire and got burned. Not that I don't understand where he was coming from, but he wanted to moderate a game, he should have used a method sanctioned by the server he was playing on, or just simply played somewhere else. Hacking to detect hacking is ultimately a disservice to the host server and/or game being played.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    edited November 2013
    ns2isgood wrote: »

See: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/129668/hacking-cheating-and-ns2-anti-cheat/p1

However I guarantee you I could find, or someone could easily make a wallhack or aimbot that it couldn't.

What's your point? This can be said about every game on the market with a capable programmer. My point was to debunk the fud Jekt posted about this gaming having zero anti cheat measures when in actuality it has a few to deter most. Sure they can be better, but what we have right now is better than nothing, especially for an indie developer like UWE. I just find it funny he's talking about how this game has zero anti cheat measures, but this damn topic is about a person that used hacks and got banned. That is the definition of irony.

To deter most? VAC has deterred whatever the first result is when you google for ns2+wallhack.
    In reality though demos with a wireframe mode / wallhack is how suspected cheaters are looked into in competition.

But sure, I'll concede that what we have is better than literally nothing.

Stop being dramatic and posting fud. Majority of people that play video games are casuals and don't have the time to invest or the knowledge to find ways to circumvent anti-cheat measures, thus why what is in place will deter most. Even being labeled VAC will deter people. If these basic checks weren't in place, servers would be flooded with obvious cheaters.

Listen, at the end of the day he used cheats regardless of what his intentions were. Man up and take your punishment and learn from this experience. Stop asking for leeway because he said he was using the hacks for good, that sounds absolutely ridiculous. If he is given admittance in the tournament at this point, what message does that send to others? No one should be given special treatment under any circumstances. You cheat, you cheat; that's it. There should be nothing more to it.
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    It deters most cheaters because most people don't bother to cheat? I don't even know how to respond to that.
    Please stop posting fud.
  • ns2isgoodns2isgood Join Date: 2013-04-16 Member: 184847Members
    It deters most cheaters because most people don't bother to cheat? I don't even know how to respond to that.
    Please stop posting fud.

You're sounding a bit silly at this point. How can someone be a cheater if they were deterred from doing so? The act of wanting to cheat doesn't make you a cheater.
  • herakl3sherakl3s Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75852Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Come on the drama was getting good, Eis who was the suspicious player?! WE WANT TO KNOW
    Official statement from the defendant please!
    Oh shit imagine it was a snail LOL
    #FreeEissfeldt
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Now that this has been resolved, I have closed this thread. Thanks to the teams and NS2WC for dealing with this in a way which resolves the issues amicably.
This discussion has been closed.