Sort/randomise teams based on last round score

splitsplitsplitsplitsplitsplit Join Date: 2013-07-24 Member: 186370Members
I've run into an interesting NS2 problem I was hoping might be solved.

I play on pretty much the same servers, usually around 24 players, we get some really good games. Unfortunately team balance is a bit of a problem, we can often end up with some pretty un-balanced teams. It can be a bunch of reasons. Sometimes just bad luck. Sometimes it's one really good player who people keep following onto his/her team.

(Through no fault of anyone the NS2 has some really awesome players, so good in fact the rest of us are just running around screaming as they manage to go 52 - 2 in a game.)

Would it be possible to implement a sort/ramdomise teams based on last round score vote? Some servers have ELO, but enough people don't normally have a score on that server for it to work properly. Would there be some way of grabbing the last round scores (possibly across map changes? Because boy do we love our map changes) and sorting on this?

You could do sum, or split players into brackets and divide based on that. It won't fix all the problems but I think it might go quite a way to giving more awesome back and forth games and a few less games where you lose the whole map in 8 minutes, then have to wait ages for the other team to finish it.

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    This already exists in mods like Shine and TGNS
  • SpaSpa Join Date: 2013-05-20 Member: 185301Members
    It does. I don't usually like it b/c 1) I am usually playing with my husband and it's dumb for us to be on opposite teams since we sit next to each other (he cheats :P) and 2) with gorges KDR doesn't always work out well- since they can get assists and kills but not as many as the other life forms.

If we are playing with better players we tend to play against them so it balances the teams a little more -
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Would be nice to have it as a default game vote though @samusdroid.
    Maybe even randomising based on hive stats (won't be the most effective way of getting even teams but it's more effective than manual balance!)