Stuck Spot/ Annotation tool.

ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
Hello fellow kids,

As some of you know shine added a feature a few builds back that uses the annotate tool to note spots where unstuck is used.
You can view them in game by using displayannotations true but this is kind of a pain in the tuckus. Since most of them are going to be in game entities instead of map issues, I decided that the obvious thing was to make a tool that shows these on a 2d copy of your map using data from sponitor. That way you can get a general idea what is going on before you load up the map and have to fly around looking for the details.

So, here is how this goes down:
You go here
.You get the latest version, currently v3.
You extract everything into your ns2 directory. ( There may be warnings, if you are feeling paranoid, feel free to compile from the source using visual studio or monodevelop).

Sadly, the library I am using to read the minimap data does not actually work anymore, So you need to use the back up, which is to open up levels.txt and edit in your map's minimap_extents. It should have semi coherent instructions at the top of the file.

From a command prompt run: StuckSpotMapper.exe ns2_map_name 261

It will generate output like this:

sgcgR1a.png

or:
73tWhVS.png

Fun times. Red dots are annotations with the word stuck in them. blue don't.

As an added bonus, I threw together a python script that spits out an image for every version of you level since build 181.
It will take some editing to pick versions and map names, but it ought to work if you have python installed.

finally if you want to leave someone a note about their map you can always just do
annotate jimbob was here
in console. and it should add a dot next time they run the tool.