Possible to make a mod based on Xcom Apocalypse with the spark engine/editor?

MorshuMorshu Join Date: 2012-08-13 Member: 155539Members, Reinforced - Shadow
edited January 2014 in Modding
I hope I'm not alone saying this here but Xcom apocalypse was an amazing game especially for it's time (atleast in my opinion) so we've yet to see a 'successor' to Xcom apocalypse although we did get Xcom enemy unknown (2012) along with enemy within (expansion pack 2013) but that's NOTHING compared to what Xcom apocalypse managed to do in it's day and still does today as "sad" as that might sound.

Now with that said I'm positive that it 'could' be done but the question is more about how difficult would it be? aside creating models, the geoscape(s) etc. how difficult would it be to more or less make the same mechanics/coding to the 'equalivant' to that of the original xcom apocalypse?

PS: I will mention that I'm no modder by any imagination so these questions might seem a bit eh 'obvious' to most of you but all more reason for me to ask I suppose to hear your opinion/thoughts about such a mod project?

Comments

• Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    If you don't know nothing about modding it will be a bit harder than if you do, but I didn't know anything about modding until I started modding NS2, and it turns out, the language is easy to read and understand, as it is almost like reading English.

Anything you want to program is essentially only as difficult as your skill is low. Start modding the game, making small changes, and eventually you'll be able to mod the game you want :)

Good luck!
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    I can say this, in order to make this even possible first; you'd have to re-write (from, mostly, scratch) all the code governing how the Camera is handled and unit movement occurs.

Long story short, you'll end up re-writing "Core Features" of the Spark Framework, not just the NS2 codebase.
    See %Steam Install%/Natural Selection 2/core folder for what I mean. This seems drastic, but I've examined this idea and spoken with the devs about it.

TL;DR - It would be a metric shit-ton of work and time.