9v9 and up Marines get 2 IP's

2»

Comments

• CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    If you manage to secure another tech point, your second IP might be better off to be placed there. The game assigns respawning players to IPs in the order in which IPs were built. So if you have 3 IPs in your main base and drop two more in a second base, then no players will respawn in that second base unless at least 4 marines are dead at the same time. I kind of dislike that mechanic, since it means that you are forced to sell the IP in your base (and eventually redrop it) in order to evenly spread your marines across the map without PGs. But I can see what they intended with it in terms of preventing abuse...
  • d0ped0gd0ped0g Join Date: 2003-05-25 Member: 16679Members
    CrushaK wrote: »
    If you manage to secure another tech point, your second IP might be better off to be placed there. The game assigns respawning players to IPs in the order in which IPs were built. So if you have 3 IPs in your main base and drop two more in a second base, then no players will respawn in that second base unless at least 4 marines are dead at the same time. I kind of dislike that mechanic, since it means that you are forced to sell the IP in your base (and eventually redrop it) in order to evenly spread your marines across the map without PGs. But I can see what they intended with it in terms of preventing abuse...

Is it possible to just recycle it and cancel the recycle, like reordering phase gates? Can anybody confirm if IPs also work this way?
  • NeXuSNeXuS US Join Date: 2013-10-13 Member: 188681Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    joshhh wrote: »
    Spawn killing in NS2 is not like any other game. If your marine team gets out of position and several skulks get into your base, you deserve to be spawn killed until the IP dies.

What Nexus said isn't really logical in this game. Even in comp, a second IP is almost always a must early game. This is part of the tech path for marines though. No matter how many players you have on a server, you should still need to be able to spend team res to build a second or third IP.
    For comp, yes, an early IP is usually a smart route to go since skulk packs tend dominate the early game. But with pubs with 12 or more people on each team, if 2 people die, it not really that big of a deal because you still have 9 other players in the field. If you lose half your team at once, yes drop a second IP. In comp it's more important because if you lose 2 players, you're essentially playing 3v5.