Mayor Mod release needs some critical help

MetaMindMetaMind Join Date: 2012-12-06 Member: 174358Members, Reinforced - Gold
edited January 2014 in Modding
Hi there guys,
as you maybe know, I m working on a relaunch of my Last Resistance Mod:
http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/125765/last-resistance-survivor-mod/p1

Allmost all of the features got successfully implemented by now, only some HUD issues since vers.262 make it unplayble...
unfortunatley my main coder buddy has left because of no time etc
So I want to kindly ask you guys for some help here coz its allmost a full working mod for ns2 and thats awesome!

Our GitHub page is:
https://github.com/OnkelDagobert/Last_Resistance

If you want the most recent "working" release: send me a private message.
So again all help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    First step to get help, update the repo ;) The one you linked is 11 month old.

Then maybe point out what exactly issues you have, i think we have ways to less modders here atm to do that via pms.

Give everyone the chance to have a look and maybe fix 1-2 things.
  • MetaMindMetaMind Join Date: 2012-12-06 Member: 174358Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Ok if you want to test it out here is the release:
    http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/19020525/file.html
    (create a new mod and put the "output" folder in your "new mod" folder then launch game from the launchpad)

The main problem atm is that the marine & alien HUD crashed coz of the new fullhud mode feature released at version 262.
    So I tried to modify the GuiMarineHud.lua, merging the new stuff with my mod codelines but its just not working out, hud still crash.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    I'll might give it a look in the next days, if it's just build incompatibility i might be able to do something about this.

BTW i think most of us prefer to use git (& github) to manage things easier. So I'll just leave a guide here i wrote some time ago: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/131466/
  • MetaMindMetaMind Join Date: 2012-12-06 Member: 174358Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited January 2014
    yeah we too used git and github as you saw... but I dont want to update it by now coz all the changes you can see under the commits section and the recent release just made it kinda work under v262.
    Anyways really big thx for your input :^ )
    Can you maybe post the last really working version of the mod and the ns2 build number it was working on?
    Hmm it was as you mentioned 11 month ago we build most of the features so I dont know the ns2 version number
    The build i posted above is the most recent one atm.
    edited January 2014
    Ok you'll have quiet some work to do to get your mod back running.
    Alot of things changed the last year. Maybe you take a step back first and try to understand how sewleks "framework" works, a good learning example is the faction mod (made by sewlek himself).

Using this will safe you alot of trouble in the future if you want to keep your mod alive.

Alot other modders had to make this step (myself included) or making it atm (Playing Ground, MvM etc. ).

In fact i had just now a first look onto your mod and it seems to me that you would be actually faster restructuring your mod using sewleks framework than "just" patching it to the current build.

But these are only my thoughts maybe other ppl who actually are porting old major mods to the current build can tell you more about this.
    well its not like the build is the same as 11 month ago, I adjusted many things etc and its partly working so...I dont want to change everything coz of this framework.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    If you haven't updated since 249 you are going to get probably going to get REKT by errors if your code modifies a lot of files.
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    @MetaMind You're in the same position I was with MvM. After looking it over, it was faster just to start over (for me anyways). As Samus said, you'll be dealing with errors for a very very long time. My advice, get familiar with the mod-framework and use it, starting from scratch. Sh!t answer, I know but that how much things have changed in 11 months.
    starting from scratch is not an option for me coz as i said my main coder buddy left and I cant do it all on my own.
    there really has to be a better option, I get some script errors.. yes... but its not that many... so I think: adjusting it is propably the better way to go...
  • ScatterScatter Join Date: 2012-09-02 Member: 157341Members, Squad Five Blue
    You get some script errors which prevents other scripts with likely many errors from running. Welcome to the pyramid.
    Hmm if this might be true and eliminating every script error is absolutetly necessary for a mod to run then this project is propably over right here and now :(:(
    edited January 2014
    And here's anoher factor why i wouldn't just update your mod atm. The current form will break with every new ns2 patch.
    At the moment you will get it running the next version of ns2 will be out introducing you to alot new errors. It would be a not ending nightmare of keeping up with uwe.

Sewleks framework will allow you to rebuild your mod pretty fast with the existing lines of code, making it safe to not break with mostly all coming updates.

And yes this sucks, but believe me trying to just update it will be a not ending nightmare. You better avoid what we (all currently active "vet modders" ) run into when we tried to do this ourself.
    The patch frequency is significantly lower now than it was in the past, and I can't imagine there being too many significant changes after next patch.
    Scatter wrote: »
    The patch frequency is significantly lower now than it was in the past, and I can't imagine there being too many significant changes after next patch.

Let's come back to this next week xd
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    So, in a way, this is like Crysis 3 hunter mode?
    Scatter wrote: »

Let's come back to this next week xd

I am rx'ing what you're tx'ing ^^
    I think the big patch time for ns2 is over so I dont mind really if I have to run a diff on every lua file i created to keep up with latest patches...
    In any case do I ve to eradicate every little scripterror I encounter? I ask because the core gameplay is working right now.

@coolitic
    No... Crysis just made a bad copy of one of the badass multiplayer games early 2000.... Aliens vs Predator 2 ! :D
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    So last resistance is essentially CS:S's legendary Zombie Mod, but with aliens instead of Zombie's. I like that, because it means if you used the fade for example, you wouldn't need to nerf it, because the Zombie/Alien, is supposed to be massively overpowered compared to the humans/marines.

Hope you get this working, because it means I can cross one of the mods of my list of mods to make off. That would take me down to 6 mods, and save me some headaches!!! :D
    well lets stay on topic here... So did you guys encounter the same HUD problem on your own mods? ("Minimal/Full- Hud" Feature released in v262)
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    No, but my mod is very customised, it has survived the last 4 updates since I started working on it again without a problem.

Generally, if UWE update a file that I use in my game, the likelihood is I've already amended that file, and so their changes normally have no consequence on me. That said, I fully expect 263 to break my mod, from what I have heard anyway..
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    So what's all this 263 rumblings? Cause I'm damned close to a RC for MvM and I'm not going to release it if it's going to break a day or two later.
    Anyone have some details?

@MetaMind Modifying the GUI is probably the most abhorrent part of NS2 modding. There isn't a way to just tweak a small part of it. It's essentially replace it all, or leave it be. Also, regarding the script errors. If your code has any script errors (generally speaking) from the time and spot the error occurs, you cannot trust anything else executed after that point to be valid and actually working correctly. So, you want to kill all errors if possible. It really comes down to what the errors are and their scope. Sometimes script errors are legitimate and won't cause problems. Other times, they'll exponentially cause memory leaks and eventually crash the client and/or server. It's all inherently subjective.
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    MetaMind wrote: »
    I think the big patch time for ns2 is over so I dont mind really if I have to run a diff on every lua file i created to keep up with latest patches...
    In any case do I ve to eradicate every little scripterror I encounter? I ask because the core gameplay is working right now.

@coolitic
    No... Crysis just made a bad copy of one of the badass multiplayer games early 2000.... Aliens vs Predator 2 ! :D

derp. CRYSIS FTW. (could of been great, EA didn't let it be)
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2014
    Patch 263 won't break much code if you used hooks or didn't modify menu files. Soon™