ns2_cradle returns...

Comments

• PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Awesome but there's no way to use Spoiler balises for your screenshots? Making the loading page easier & faster.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited August 2014
    the map is so close to release ready now, just 1 more res node and tech point remain, but im trying not to rush it.
  • DefaultErrorDefaultError Minnesota Join Date: 2013-10-31 Member: 188917Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    This map is definitely going up on our server, been looking forward to it :D
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited August 2014
    Looking really really good ! Damn, need to give it a look. Just have to find it on the workshop :O

EDIT : couldn't find the map on the workshop :(
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    Looking really really good ! Damn, need to give it a look. Just have to find it on the workshop :O

EDIT : couldn't find the map on the workshop :(

'Cause this map isn't released on the Workshop yet.
  • MauvaisVitrierMauvaisVitrier France Join Date: 2014-04-10 Member: 195291Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond
    edited August 2014
    So stupid... The worst part is I actually read this below before posting :
    the map is so close to release ready now, just 1 more res node and tech point remain, but im trying not to rush it.
    so, looking forward to seeing this released on the workshop :)
    im still working on it regularly but progress is a little slower mainly because there is only so many interesting things you can do with the same props before you start running low on ideas.
    new area that has no name currently and links up descent with docking bay
    3A54B3BDC4B9BF888A68406B6B00095DC8954373
    E530D6FDC354185C4A85CF2BD94561B515A0BE44
    new screenshot of the marine start, docking bay.
    17C06BDDDF13A40D5F1BAC2B63E0BBCB20AE5ED6

early wip of the last res node which is called uplink
    1DF686EB85C95EF27E889C37F51AB1579255AFB1
    edited August 2014
    screenshots of the finished res node, uplink
    7272AB32F8793ACA94B67EEEB7A4617473BC0116
    9B3853377662B1A47173F2408917C6CED61BD343
    984355CB22FF65C0883F7B7EC3D8F8B1305DC303

1 screenshot of docking bay (marine start) skybox (outside map through windows)
    01E72DCD053A308CA14BE8E0A95152A7D5CE8821

just 2 corridors and 1 tech point now remain
    edited September 2014
    overview of progress
    332pem9.jpg
  • CCTEECCTEE Join Date: 2013-06-20 Member: 185634Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited September 2014
    ehhhhh is this a 3 techpoint map? does that work?

Ohhhh i guess you'll make a 4th in the snowey field / scribbly part?
    edited September 2014
    its 4 i havent finished it, the last tech point is in the smudged area of white i havent made yet, basically that smudged area represents whats left to finish the map
    If you want your map to be tested in a 6v6 (all info there : http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135524/competitive-playtests-custom-maps#latest) feel free to add me on Steam. For some reason I can't find you in there. :)
    If you want your map to be tested in a 6v6 (all info there : http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/135524/competitive-playtests-custom-maps#latest) feel free to add me on Steam. For some reason I can't find you in there. :)

He's already on the NSL Maptesting Steam group, his Steam name is "[AQ] Nightmare".
    edited September 2014
    i have been redoing the skybox areas, the map is now underwater as i designed it originally to be. Looks and fits much better. The name of the map is likely to change as well. This has set me back abit in finishing the map but it will be worth it.
    Well, this is awesome! When are you gonna release it on the Workshop?
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    That looks great! I like Hydro lift better than Surface Access, btw. It sounds more unique.
    Yeah that looks great, awesome !
    When are you gonna release it on the Workshop ?²

We would love to playtest this for 6v6 competitive games. I've added you on Steam btw :)
    Keep up the good work
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Awesome job! Can't wait to play this map.
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    WHERE DO I PLAY IT! i want it noooooow, sooo good loooking :D
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    This looks really cool. Lovin' the underwater vibe.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    Underwater looking good too! But agh! Part of me is not loving the distortion effect on the glass. It wouldn't really do that in real life. Distortions like that are caused by irregular changes in the IOR or the surface normal. Here, you've got smooth flat glass, and a smooth flat water surface touching the glass. The most distortion you'd get it a sort of flattening effect when looking at it from an extreme angle and ns2 just isn't capable of that.

(Although... hmm... MIGHT be able to modify the distortion shader so it uses the viewspace normals instead of a texture to give it a slight flattening effect... I um... I have to go now... I may have an idea. :D EDIT: Nevermind... that won't work. Would require re-photographing the scene from a different angle :( )
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    Underwater looking good too! But agh! Part of me is not loving the distortion effect on the glass. It wouldn't really do that in real life. Distortions like that are caused by irregular changes in the IOR or the surface normal. Here, you've got smooth flat glass, and a smooth flat water surface touching the glass. The most distortion you'd get it a sort of flattening effect when looking at it from an extreme angle and ns2 just isn't capable of that.

(Although... hmm... MIGHT be able to modify the distortion shader so it uses the viewspace normals instead of a texture to give it a slight flattening effect... I um... I have to go now... I may have an idea. :D EDIT: Nevermind... that won't work. Would require re-photographing the scene from a different angle :( )

I think you might be able to do it convincingly. The extreme angles are also where the reflection component dominates, so if there's extreme distortion it will probably be masked by the glass reflection.

The bigger problem for making something convincingly underwater is getting the fog right. I wrote about that for subnautica here. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/133996/physically-accurate-fog-for-simulating-how-light-travels-underwater

You can't just use "blue fog" because water absorbs frequencies of light more than it scatters them.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014
    moultano wrote: »

I think you might be able to do it convincingly. The extreme angles are also where the reflection component dominates, so if there's extreme distortion it will probably be masked by the glass reflection.

The bigger problem for making something convincingly underwater is getting the fog right. I wrote about that for subnautica here. http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/133996/physically-accurate-fog-for-simulating-how-light-travels-underwater

You can't just use "blue fog" because water absorbs frequencies of light more than it scatters them.

I just tried it a second ago. I modified the glass_refract shader so that instead of using the texture normal map provided, it uses the "vs_normals" input, takes the tangent of the x and y axes, and multiplies that by 0.1 (just pulled a number out of the air). It works OKAY-ish... but doesn't look great. The edges look really weird at higher angles, and transparent stuff in front of the distortion plane gets distorted as well. It might work alright under very controlled conditions, and if the magnitude of the effect is taken down a little bit (might look best at 0.05).

Anyways, feel free to try it for yourself. https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0cuarnaiixntho/materials.zip?dl=1

What spark would need to really make this work is a way to re-render what's behind the transparency plane from a different angle, and reproject that onto the plane. A simple 2d distortion effect is barely working here.

About the blue fog, it looks pretty good to just light the exterior with a blue spotlight and crank the atmospherics up on it. Yea it's not physically accurate, but that's not about to change in this version of Spark. EDIT: Dammit moultano, now you've got me thinking about ways of doing this in Spark! EDIT2: Had a look at those formulas. I'm SURE I just butchered them... but here it is: http://imgur.com/a/hZOiZ#vURlLrw What you're looking at is one .material from eclipse, whose shader was changed from "Model.surface_shader" to "Model_underwater.surface_shader". I changed nothing else. Also, that lone light source is a WHITE light. :D Unfortunately, this method can't take into account dry areas vs underwater areas. It goes strictly off of the depth map, so stuff will look underwatery depending on the DISTANCE from the camera, NOT necessarily how much water is between you and the object. Example: a long, dry hallway, and at the end of it is a window, and outside the window, some underwater objects. These objects, not being too far from the window, shouldn't look too blue and scattered... but they will. This is an engine limitation and it cannot be overcome without some heavy modifications.

EDIT AGAIN: Here's the .surface_shaders for you to play with. :Dhttps://www.dropbox.com/sh/rr4l1o36yjyu2bk/AABEI5m9wpeYNZAr8eDLVRo8a?dl=1 There's 2 in there, "Model_underwater.surface_shader" and "Level_underwater.surface_shader". The older materials use the Level shader, and the newer stuff uses the Model shader. So to get underwater textures in your map, just make a copy of the .material file, and change "Level.surface_shader" to "Level_underwater.surface_shader" and likewise with "model". You'll probably end up with quite a few new .material files in your map mod, it's a good thing they such small files.
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited September 2014

I just tried it a second ago. I modified the glass_refract shader so that instead of using the texture normal map provided, it uses the "vs_normals" input, takes the tangent of the x and y axes, and multiplies that by 0.1 (just pulled a number out of the air). It works OKAY-ish... but doesn't look great. The edges look really weird at higher angles, and transparent stuff in front of the distortion plane gets distorted as well. It might work alright under very controlled conditions, and if the magnitude of the effect is taken down a little bit (might look best at 0.05).

Anyways, feel free to try it for yourself. https://www.dropbox.com/s/b0cuarnaiixntho/materials.zip?dl=1

What spark would need to really make this work is a way to re-render what's behind the transparency plane from a different angle, and reproject that onto the plane. A simple 2d distortion effect is barely working here.

About the blue fog, it looks pretty good to just light the exterior with a blue spotlight and crank the atmospherics up on it. Yea it's not physically accurate, but that's not about to change in this version of Spark. EDIT: Dammit moultano, now you've got me thinking about ways of doing this in Spark! EDIT2: Had a look at those formulas. I'm SURE I just butchered them... but here it is: http://imgur.com/a/hZOiZ#vURlLrw What you're looking at is one .material from eclipse, whose shader was changed from "Model.surface_shader" to "Model_underwater.surface_shader". I changed nothing else. Also, that lone light source is a WHITE light. :D Unfortunately, this method can't take into account dry areas vs underwater areas. It goes strictly off of the depth map, so stuff will look underwatery depending on the DISTANCE from the camera, NOT necessarily how much water is between you and the object. Example: a long, dry hallway, and at the end of it is a window, and outside the window, some underwater objects. These objects, not being too far from the window, shouldn't look too blue and scattered... but they will. This is an engine limitation and it cannot be overcome without some heavy modifications.

EDIT AGAIN: Here's the .surface_shaders for you to play with. :Dhttps://www.dropbox.com/sh/rr4l1o36yjyu2bk/AABEI5m9wpeYNZAr8eDLVRo8a?dl=1 There's 2 in there, "Model_underwater.surface_shader" and "Level_underwater.surface_shader". The older materials use the Level shader, and the newer stuff uses the Model shader. So to get underwater textures in your map, just make a copy of the .material file, and change "Level.surface_shader" to "Level_underwater.surface_shader" and likewise with "model". You'll probably end up with quite a few new .material files in your map mod, it's a good thing they such small files.

Awesome! Did you get a screenshot of the refraction shader?

Nah, I didn't bother with that, it wasn't very impressive.
    well if anyone can create a convincing underwater scene and upload it then i will gladly use elements from it to improve the ones i have in the map.

Also a few custom decals perhaps with cthulhu like symbols to represent the underwater facility would be great. something like this..
    CthulhuBadgeWhiteSS.png
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos

Try not to rip, do your own logo and stuff.

Nah, I didn't bother with that, it wasn't very impressive.

Try adding some low frequency perturbations to it so the glass looks slightly wavy, then as normal * view becomes small, blend in a light desaturated blue for the color of the glass.