Solution to the Alt Tab of 'death'

GalapagOGalapagO Florida Join Date: 2014-01-14 Member: 193121Members
I think we've all been there. Checking score stats, seeing if there is a commander, who's died and you go to talk.... Then you are kicked out of the game and you have to wait a minute for it to load back up.

My question is... is there a way to disable alt tab?

Comments

• HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The solution is DX9.
    I tab out all the time, it always works.
  • GalapagOGalapagO Florida Join Date: 2014-01-14 Member: 193121Members
    Hamlet wrote: »
    The solution is DX9.
    Was ist das? :D

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    There are third party applications which can block those windows shortcuts and some other reg edits out there, but those will break most shortcuts. Google is your friend "disable alt+tab" :)

Easiest solution is to play in a window or in a fullscreen window, so you can instantly alt+tab out of and into the game at will.
    Also.... These forums have the fastest response time ever. F****** awesome. You guys are the best ty. <3
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Keep in mind though that not running full screen might lower your overall FPS a tiny bit. Or if you're lucky it won't change at all, Spark Engine is weird like that :P
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    my ALT key is not binded to prevent the alt tab of death. so you can just rebind some keys
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Wait, what alt-tab of death?

I alt-tab regularly and the only thing that bothers me is that it take a few seconds to load textures.
  • KopungaKopunga Join Date: 2013-01-10 Member: 178764Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    GalapagO wrote: »
    Hamlet wrote: »
    The solution is DX9.
    Was ist das? :D

Direct X 9 ?
    Mephilles wrote: »
    my ALT key is not binded to prevent the alt tab of death. so you can just rebind some keys

I use "Mouse 4" one of the thumb buttons on my mouse to speak (and "Mouse 5" for TeamSpeak). And as far as i know, Mouse 4 + Tab doesn't do anything at all ;).
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2014
    Windows + D often working better than Alt + Tab. (Windows button I mean)
    yeah i guess i should just rebind my keys... derp... Currently my main problem is that my computers wireless/ wifi switch/touchscreen button is not working for some reason. So it wont connect to the internet :/
  • HamletHamlet Join Date: 2008-08-17 Member: 64837Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2014
    I recommend DirectX9, because each time I tried DX11, it ate up all my memory until it crashed.
    DX9 is rock stable and survives 99% of all alt-tabs, DX11 not so much...
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    Can someone please tell me what exactly is this "alt-tab of death"?
    I just made that up off the top of my head. I'm not very clever or witty. It's pretty much just hitting alt tab in the game while trying to see stats and talk and getting stuck outside of the game for a few minutes.