263 Entire Alien commander HUD text disappears

simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
Happens randomly while playing as alien commander. Haven't experienced on Marine commander.

Basically all text is gone from the screen. I cannot see my player's health or names, I cannot see upgrades to research. Scoreboard does not show up.

The only fix is to leave the server and rejoin.

Comments

• ConfusedConfused Wait. What? Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12904Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester
    Can you wait until it happens then quit the game run the tech support.exe and post the resulting zip.

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Sounds like a server mod.. was the server running anything?
  • simbasimba Join Date: 2012-05-06 Member: 151628Members
    It's very likely the server was running something. I generally cast my commander perspectives, so if I experience it again, I will hopefully have some video evidence. And sure, the next time it happens I will run the support.exe.
    see my twitch video:
    http://www.twitch.tv/s1mb4/b/507225567

this is on Reddit PUG servers so whatever mods they have
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    Like I usually do, and blame Shine, I was actually right this time.
    Error: lua/shine/lib/gui/objects/label.lua:36: None of the overloads for GUIItem.SetText match the supplied arguments:
    GUIItem.SetText(GUIItem, cdata)
    Remove Shine temporarily if this keeps happening.
    This is @GhoulofGSG9‌ problem's now.
    PS This new user autocompelte when typing @ someone's name is pretty useful.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Like I usually do, and blame Shine, I was actually right this time.
    Error: lua/shine/lib/gui/objects/label.lua:36: None of the overloads for GUIItem.SetText match the supplied arguments:
    GUIItem.SetText(GUIItem, cdata)
    Remove Shine temporarily if this keeps happening.
    This is @GhoulofGSG9‌ problem's now.
    PS This new user autocompelte when typing @ someone's name is pretty useful.

Allready fixed with Shine build 145 ( 24/02/14 ) ....
    Does this mean that the server I am playing on has to update their shine? This happened on the 28th.
    This problem has not gone away. I saw it last night. @GhoulofGSG9‌ ??
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    @simba

Ok so far i can say it's a "network messages" issue which seems to be introduced with 263. Sometimes the network message values are nill.

Why i can't really explain, this seems to be some kind of issue with the spark network handle.

Overall this causes the message table of the shine chat gui to get corrupted. Which causes to crash the Shine chatbox and produces the given error.

Person8880 is currently looking for a way to "fix" this. ( better say to find a workaround ) Until then i would suggest to disable the shine chatbox locally if this issue occurs alot ( sh_chatbox in console ) and see if it is gone. ( would be interessting to see if this only affects the shine gui stuff )

Issue Ticket: https://github.com/Person8880/Shine/issues/335

I'm expecting this to get "fixed" asap ( end of this week ). Please take into note that i ( and person8880 ) are busy in RL and not that much into ns2 atm.

At least we will be faster than UWE fixing the network handle ;) What i would prefer ofc as it should not be the job of mods to check that vanilla is not doing "stupid" things :D
    Is there a way to set up the server to disable the shine chat box by default? We have this mod on all of the NSL Match servers, and it would not be good to have this error happen in the middle of season play.

I may remove the mod from the NSL Match servers for that purpose.
    edited March 2014
    @simba‌

The chatbox is a purely client sided plugin. So it's up to the client to disable it. Use sh_chatbox in the console or look into %Appdata%\Natural Selection 2\shine\Autoload.json .

But this should be fixed asap so no real need to worry. I'm pretty sure it will be gone before Season 4 even starts.

Also it's a NSL Mod bug, so it's also crashing things without shine running.

Edit: Ok it's a NSL Mod / ( Shine / Vanilla ) issue. The NSL Mod somehow manages to send a chat msg without giving a player or console as author of that msg.

Thanks to some ppl blaming shine not reading the complete error stack ....
    Ok this should be fixed now (with last shine update )
    @GhoulofGSG9‌

So it was a shine bug or a NSL mod bug or a vanilla bug? I am still not clear on this. If there is a NSL mod bug, I would like to have some more information on it so I can provide it to Dragon and he can hopefully resolve it.

If the bug is experienced mid-game, it renders a commander useless until he leaves the server and rejoins. This has potential to really mess up competitive matches.

edited March 2014
    @simba:

Ok i thought i made this clear allready:

The NSL Mod managed to send a chat network message with some stuff missing (a corrupted network message ) which cause the shine chatbox to get confused and crash with the hole rest of the ns2 gui. Anyway this would also happen with the vanilla chat.

What we at shine did now:

We added a check to the chatbox to catch those invalid network message and avoid those gui crashes. Also information about corrupted network messages will be saved now into the shine error log to provide more info for uwe or xdragon and to prove that this is only caused by the NSL mod.

I allready informed xdragon and will give him more info asap. ( Waiting for some reports to come in ;) )
    @GhoulofGSG9‌

Alright, thanks a ton for your work on this. I will make a note of this thread on ensl.org and to other admins. Hopefully this is the last we see of this bug!