Combat Standalone Revealed - Natural Selection 2

123457»

Comments

• JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    @Lastdon
    No we are not using Spark 2.0, We will be using the same version of Spark NS2 is using.
    We are adding a couple of new upgrades to Combat Standalone, not sure if all mentioned will make a comeback though.
    We will not be changing the Onos, we will however add things where we see fit to keep things fresh and all classes fun to play.
  • Maxx11_v2.0Maxx11_v2.0 Join Date: 2012-11-18 Member: 172221Members
    Lastdon wrote: »
    Please tell me that you guys are bringing back hunger, ethereal, nano repair, and static. They made combat so much fun.

They unbalanced the game and allowed good players to snowball out of controll. I've hit something close to 1k kills in a single round with the broken xmenu fade. If you're going to put in new stuff and raise the level cap then you better make sure its balanced, in other words, dont do it like xmenu did it.
  • DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    They unbalanced the game and allowed good players to snowball out of controll. I've hit something close to 1k kills in a single round with the broken xmenu fade. If you're going to put in new stuff and raise the level cap then you better make sure its balanced, in other words, dont do it like xmenu did it.

The beautiful thing is that not only is there an entire team of PTs working to make sure nothing is stupid OP, but that Combat can continue to patch after the game releases to ensure good balance :)
  • TrevTrev NJ Join Date: 2014-10-17 Member: 199017Members
    edited October 2014
    @Jibrail, just wanted to tell you that my friends and I are very excited for standalone!
    Keep up the good work i'm sure its going to be very intense we've been playing NS for quite sometime now and I was wondering if you could send me some information about what will be put in the game and maybe an invitation for testing!
    Hope to hear from you - Trev
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited October 2014
    Jibrail wrote: »
    @Lastdon
    We will not be changing the Onos, we will however add things where we see fit to keep things fresh and all classes fun to play.

don't forget to keep things fun to play against too (devour). out of curiosity how have you guys reworked devour knowing that stuns/immobilizes/complete loss of character control aren't remotely fun in FPS? (i haven't paid any attention to combat)
  • RapGodRapGod Not entirely sure... Join Date: 2013-11-12 Member: 189322Members
    @Lastdon

don't forget to keep things fun to play against too (devour). out of curiosity how have you guys reworked devour knowing that stuns/immobilizes/complete loss of character control aren't remotely fun in FPS? (i haven't paid any attention to combat)

Devour seems to be a lot more balanced than what it was in ns1. You aren't in the belly as long and you can punch your way out.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    RapGod wrote: »
    @Lastdon

Devour seems to be a lot more balanced than what it was in ns1. You aren't in the belly as long and you can punch your way out.
    Balanced doesn't = fun. Devour still isn't that great in my opinion even with the tweaks in standalone.
  • RaZDaZRaZDaZ Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167331Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    My problem with Devour when it was implemented into combat wasn't necessarily the long waiting pointlessly but the lag comp/delay that inevitably results in you getting devoured even if you see it coming. Quite frequently as a JP, I'd see an onos charging at me knowing he wanted to devour, I would fly directly up to avoid him, hit the ceiling of a tall room and STILL get devoured, 20-30ft above him. It's absolutely ridiculous.

I can't think of many things more frustrating than that in combat but thank god Devour isn't in normal.
    edited October 2014
    @sebb , I haven't played the new combat, just watched the video. And, what you find not to be "fun", may be "fun" to others. All opinions. Not trying to sound dickish ;-)
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    I'm surprised that nobody mentioned the link here already. Check out until the official release of the game! + they're offering keys as giveaways.
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    @sebb , I haven't played the new combat, just watched the video. And, what you find not to be "fun", may be "fun" to others. All opinions. Not trying to sound dickish ;-)
    No I totally understand that, but I have played it, and its still dumb.
    sebb wrote: »
    No I totally understand that, but I have played it, and its still dumb.

Lol well since you've played it, my opinion loses some value lol... anyone know how much dmg per second it does?
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've been playing ns2 for hours today. I haven't seen devour once yet.