NS2 Crashes Steam?

ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
edited May 2014 in Technical Support
Experiencing persistent crashes with Steam while playing NS2 and only NS2. Other games like CS:Go does not crash the steam client. When the steam client crashes, NS2 crashes also.

I can't seem to reproduce the steps for the crash. It's not looking at the scoreboard or firing a particular weapon. Just moving around a map at random times... CRASH.

I've tried uninstall all my drivers, steam, and NS2 (appdata folders included), running a registry cleaner and reinstalling. No avail.

Any ideas? Anyone else getting this problem?

Comments

• CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2014
    I'm getting it. It happened very recently and it is happening often.

NS2 crashes at the same time Steam crashes. Impossible for me to tell what causes it. I tried running the beta and non-beta version of Steam, and it keeps happening. I reinstalled NS2, cleaned up the drivers, and whatnot.

Going to try using DX11 and hope that works.

Edit

The answer is no.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    I've tried those things too. NG.
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Let's try to narrow this down. Does it happen on every server? How about other games? Is it only games that connect to valve servers (i.e. NS2 and CS:GO)? Can you both upload dxdiag and see if there's some cross-section of equipment?
  • CyberKunCyberKun Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182733Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Every server. I thought it was NS+, but it has been across 8 or so servers. Only NS2 as far. I've been playing Dark Souls 2 and Dota 2 fine.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3376005/DxDiag.txt
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Happening here, too. I've validated files, deleted appdata folder, run as admin. All still occurring.

Trying non-modded servers now.
  • CyberWalrusCyberWalrus United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-05-16 Member: 196070Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited May 2014
    Same issue here. Happens on unmodded servers as well.
    Here's a tech_support.zip after having this problem a couple of times in a row. I've not had this issue on any other steam games, and its only started happening very recently (last 2 days).
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/gykw1bsv22hyez1/tech_support.zip

Windows event logs only have the error
    "The Steam Client Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this x time(s)."
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Did someone allready try to fix this by disabling the steam overlay for ns2?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Your dxdiag shows the following:
    Windows Error Reporting:
    +++ WER0 +++:
    Fault bucket 94538358792, type 5

Event Name: AppHangB1

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: NS2.exe

P2: 0.0.0.0

P3: 535fe5a7

P4: 823d

P5: 134217728

P6:

P7:

P8:

P9:

P10:

It lacks further info I can use.
    It also shows more. Note I took the liberty to fill in more then the log shows.
    Device Id Chip Description Vendor Id Vendor Name
    0x6759 AMD Radeon HD 6570 0x1002 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

+++ WER1 +++:
    Fault bucket -475787714, type 5

Event Name: PnPDeviceProblemCode

Response: Not available

Cab Id: -37117316

Problem signature:

P1: x64

P2: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_6759&SUBSYS_E193174B&REV_00

P3: {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

P4: 0000001F

P5: BasicDisplay.sys

P6: 6.3.9600.16384

P7: 08-22-2013

P8:

P9:

P10:

Note the vendor ID of AMD shows up more
    P2: PCI\VEN_1002

Your eventvwr may contain more valueble info @Zefram
    With that report... ignore the Dark Souls 2 . I was screwing around with ENB settings without properly installing it, so I know why that crashed.
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Even that video card info is wrong. I did have a modded 6950 though, but I'm sporting two R9 290s. I'm giving up and just nuking my system.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Well @Zefram‌... before you do that, be sure to check the dates in the event viewer, JUST incase.
    I've checked everything on my end that I could think of. I even ran an 8 hour Prime95 stress test to make sure my system was ok. Everything checks out. The only time Steam crashes is with NS2.
  • CyberWalrusCyberWalrus United Kingdom Join Date: 2014-05-16 Member: 196070Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited May 2014
    @GhoulofGSG9‌ Just tested with disabled steam overlay, didn't fix.

At least for me, the crash is totally silent. Just the game dies, steam dies, no error messages.
    hmm.. can you provide some crashdumps?
    In the dr watson folder of your windows profile there will be a app crash dump of ns2 aslong as you do not click away the windows 'program crash' warning.
    Copy and provide?

disclaimer blabla, dmp files contained much info, blabla, can see what programs your pc runs. etc :P
    hmm.. can you provide some crashdumps?
    In the dr watson folder of your windows profile there will be a app crash dump of ns2 aslong as you do not click away the windows 'program crash' warning.
    Copy and provide?

disclaimer blabla, dmp files contained much info, blabla, can see what programs your pc runs. etc :P

Strange, searching for the dr watson folder did not return anything. Can you tell me what file you want and the location?
    It is possible the windows crash handler writes it in another temp location. In the error message there is a detail section. (or a more button, anyway something to read more)
    Hidden amoung the info should be a temp location, usually in your windows user folder, with a dmp file.
    The dmp file is a memory dump of steam and/or ns2 at the time of the crash and with luck may reveal more, even to one lacking any coding knowhow like me. :)
    Yeah, DC_Darkling, you are not understanding my point.

WHERE IS THE FILE AND UNDER WHAT FOLDER. I DO NOT KNOW. DR WATSON IS NOT A LOCATION.

I had NS2 and Steam crash, it didn't bring anything up. They just both crashed. What do you want me to get?
  • radforChristradforChrist USA Join Date: 2002-11-04 Member: 6871Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    It doesn't happen with a local server (i.e. do a training/bot map, or sandbox).

It only happens when connected to external server. I've tried with and without the overlay, and I've even redownloaded/reinstalled steam and NS2.

It happens on servers with and without plugins, and even on an empty server.

It's completely unplayable now, so I don't know what to do next. Zefram, if a reinstall works, I'll do the same.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Can we get all of your tech support zips and not just Zefram's?
    It may help single out a common element
    I DO understand, im trying to explain where the bloody file is!

Ok.. lets try this again.
    * NS2 has its own way to get crashdumps, the techsupport.exe. However you all say steam also crashes.
    * Windows has its own crash reported, dr watson, which writes dmp files (like hdmp) into a directory.
    * Often this is written in your windows user folder, in a dr watson directory. Not always. (Actually windows 7 renamed it to WER and i think they started to use the name name at one point)
    * If its in another directory the CRASH WARNING will specify where the dmp file is located! (somewhere in the extra / additional info)
    * clicking away the warning will remove the file as its a temp file!

If its the last option (that the crash warning will tell you) then I can not say where the file is.. You need to read the warning.

If you can not find the location, edit the registry (at own risk) to make put app crash files where you want them.
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/8103.application-crash-dump-analysis-windows-7.aspx
    @DC_Darkling‌ I know the crash warning you are talking about, but it doesn't appear. Both NS2 and steam simply disappear without any errors. Understandably, no error dumps are written as far as I can find.

@IronHorse‌ https://www.dropbox.com/s/gykw1bsv22hyez1/tech_support.zip as above
  • GoldenGolden Join Date: 2004-09-01 Member: 31169Members, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    I'm thinking it has to be something with Windows 8 and the latest Synapse update.
    I just ran techsupport.exe for myself to be sure...
    WHY do you all have WER parts in your dxdiag logs? As stated before, WER is windows method of logging app crashes. And I dont just see ns2 in them.

I do seriously wonder how bad your event viewers look. (eventvwr), its a windows thing.

Note that event viewer will always have warnings and errors. TO see stuff in it does not mean it must be bad. But those error messages I see in the dxdiag are... not good.
    @DC_Darkling‌ I know the crash warning you are talking about, but it doesn't appear. Both NS2 and steam simply disappear without any errors. Understandably, no error dumps are written as far as I can find.

Yes that.

@DC_Darkling. I run the newer version of Windows and I had to edit the reg like you said. What I can say is that it is a bit insane you are using terms for XP. People don't/shouldn't run XP anymore, and giving advice assuming I have XP is painful.
    Golden wrote: »
    I'm thinking it has to be something with Windows 8 and the latest Synapse update.

Looking like it. I did update my Windows recently, along with the Synapse. Both are clear possibilities.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    I'm thinking it has to be something with Windows 8.1 and the latest Synapse update

Corrected ;) I'm also expiring this issue from time to time at my win 8.1 notebook not using any razer mouse.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    This is my suspicion too.
    When zefram first brought this to my attention in steam that was the first thing i pointed to, (win 8) half out of jest..
    Though I don't see razer devices on every single user who submitted their dxdiag/techsupport, it is a common element.

All of you are running Windows 8, though, so far...
    Don't suppose any of you have a dual boot win7 setup?

edited May 2014
    Not I said I.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3376005/Images/Helpful/WHATONEOFYOUBROKENS2.JPG

That is my Windows 8 patch log for stuff recently, and yes. Year/Month/Date.
    CyberKun wrote: »
    Not I said I.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3376005/Images/Helpful/WHATONEOFYOUBROKENS2.JPG

That is my Windows 8 patch log for stuff recently, and yes. Year/Month/Date.

Do you have any idea since when this issue is happening to you. I never noticed it before the last windows update so maybe someone could try to deinstall all the last windows updates and report if the issue is gone :D
    I tried to pug like two days ago. That is when it started to happen.

For now though, I don't feel like manually deleting my Windows 8 patches unless Ironhorse or someone with more pull says so.