Floors with reflections...

antd00dantd00d Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183665Members
Hello.

I recently watched a few NS2 gameplay videos on YouTube, and noticed some of the maps' floors have reflections! I do not see this on my NS2! Is it because of my very old system (Windows XP Pro. SP3, DirectX 9.0c, ATI Radeon 4870 video card with 512 MB of VRAM [have to use medium graphic textures details]), etc.?

Thank you in advance. :)

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    Do you have reflections on
  • antd00dantd00d Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183665Members
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Do you have reflections on
    Yes. Does reflections require something else like DirectX 10+, more VRAM, etc.?

• IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    I wonder if your card, which does not meet the minimum required specifications for the game, is responsible for NS2 possibly automatically disabling reflections?
    I'd love to see your techsupport.zip file to look at all your specs, tho
    IronHorse wrote: »
    I wonder if your card, which does not meet the minimum required specifications for the game, is responsible for NS2 possibly automatically disabling reflections?
    I'd love to see your techsupport.zip file to look at all your specs, tho
    I e-mailed it to tech-support@unknownworlds.com. :)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Argh.. I don't know who is monitoring that anymore, tbh.

If you feel comfortable enough, feel free to PM me it to look it over.
    Argh.. I don't know who is monitoring that anymore, tbh.

If you feel comfortable enough, feel free to PM me it to look it over.
    Bah, that is what the program said to send. Someone better be checking it if we are still using this tool!

http://zimage.com/~ant/temp/tech_support.zip (will delete later when you are done).

Thank you in advance. :)
    edited May 2014
    Got it thanks, you can delete.

Edit: Can you walk into Club on the map Descent, and take a few screenshots of the floor there? (use the spoiler tag when posting the imgur link here)
    I can't see any other reason why it shouldn't work other than your VRAM is half of the minimum required, and you have barely any RAM at all :(

On a side note, your system is prime for an upgrade, both RAM and GPUs are CHEAP these days...
    Just shop around. For ~$100 you can have a PC that performs leaps and bounds better, since your CPU is still awesome. (I obviously recommend Win 7 64 bit, as well)
    I will check later. I am using my PC to record TV shows right now. Is that Descent map the same one for sandbox? I remember there was an Onos Bar (funny!).
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I could have swore that an Nvidia card was required for reflections
    Really? That sucks. :(

Edit: Can you walk into Club on the map Descent, and take a few screenshots of the floor there? (use the spoiler tag when posting the imgur link here)...
    I see them! Wait, aren't all maps supposed to have reflective floors? I don't play this map often, but then I don't play games often like I used to hence my outdated machine. :P
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2014

I dunno man, I remember reflections on my HD4850 when I was still running my steamengine PC...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    antd00d wrote: »
    Really? That sucks. :(
    AMD 7970 and I can see reflections fine.

Edit: Can you walk into Club on the map Descent, and take a few screenshots of the floor there? (use the spoiler tag when posting the imgur link here)...
    I see them! Wait, aren't all maps supposed to have reflective floors? I don't play this map often, but then I don't play games often like I used to hence my outdated machine. :P

Oh good so you can see them :)
    No not every floor is reflective, only the ones the mappers wanted to be.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

Oh good so you can see them :)
    No not every floor is reflective, only the ones the mappers wanted to be.

Yea what it is is there's a little "bubble" that the mappers place, called a "reflection probe". These are (if they've done it right) used sparingly. You'll notice them usually on the floor, but in other places too, like the tables in docking, or all over biodome, wherever there is that really clean glass.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    The tech support e-mail is read. It goes to all of the programmers at Unknown Worlds.
    Max wrote: »
    The tech support e-mail is read. It goes to all of the programmers at Unknown Worlds.
    Thanks. :)