Installed mods on NS2 client?

antd00dantd00d Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183665Members
Hello.

I noticed my NS2 client has mods option: http://i.imgur.com/jcyZiph.jpg ...

Did these come with the game or were autodownloaded from servers? Are they required? If not, then how do I remove these?

Thank you in advance. :)

Comments

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    ANY server running a mod will make you download it.
    They are not required but lest left be, unless you either encounter problems or play on pure uwe servers.
  • antd00dantd00d Join Date: 2013-03-04 Member: 183665Members
    Thanks DC_Darkling. What if no servers use them? Why does this screen have enable and disable options if servers would require them?
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    because the mods are both server and client..

* you can enable or disable a client mod by clicking. Like crosshairs.
    * subscribed is done by workshop and is for both client and server.
    * if you join a server which requires a mod, it makes sure you download it, then temporarily enables the mod. (mod disables again when you disconnect)
    * if you enable a server mod, it will most likely be disabled upon joining any server not having the mod.
    * if you loadup a listenserver / training with a server mod enabled, it either loads the mod (as you are a server then) or crash/fail.
    * if you join a server which does not use the mod, it shall not enable it.

Just ignore until you encounter problems, or delete all a few months later to get rid of outdated ones.
    How do I delete them?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited May 2014
    antd00d wrote: »
    How do I delete them?

Delete %appdata%\Natural Selection 2\Workshop. All mods are downloaded into that folder ;)
    But be aware that you have to redownload the mod if you join a server with them enabled.
    Thanks. I see a few old ones from October 2013. :)
  • KendallKendall Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14402Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    I think it's good to clear these out every once in a while, since I had been forced to recompile at the same NS2 update version multiple times. Some old mods if not compatible with a new NS2 version can force that issue in my experience, such that removing the mods and redownloading only those that are needed is good to do. Would be nice if there were an uninstall button in the UI though!
    I wished there was a way to have it autodelete old mods that haven't been touched for a while.