Why shade near Harvester?

BishopCBishopC Germany Join Date: 2014-02-18 Member: 194139Members
Hi, there is something I see constantly, and I simply can't understand it, so I would love for someone to explain this to me: Why are shades being dropped near a new build harvester? For example, eclipse, start of a round, aliens push back a first group of marines in keyhole, the khammander drops a harvester - and then a shade. And nothing else.
Is there a reason I don't get? My thought is, there is a fixed point where the harvester can be dropped, it makes no sense to cloak something the marines will find in an instant, so a crag would be ten times more useful.

Comments

• BishopCBishopC Germany Join Date: 2014-02-18 Member: 194139Members
    Additional thoughts (I really tried to wrap my head around it, I just think it's impressively stupid the longer I think about it, and I am really trying to understand why anyone would do that): Still early game, the harvester is attacked by a lonely marine (of course, because, again, it's not hard to find a cloaked harvester ^^), some of the spread out aliens are coming to the rescue, and then try to make use of the shade. So instead of rushing in, they sneak in slowly, and thus are too late to save the harvester. 8 res down the gutter.

With a crag, the marine would have taken considerably longer to kill the harvester, oh heck, he would even take a lot longer to kill the crag alone, since that thing has armor and constantly heals itself, where the shade hasn't, and after the marine has been offed and 40 seconds time, harvester and crag are fully healed again, ready for the next single marine attack.

Dropping a crag, a whip, I totally understand. A shift, I'd slowly shake my head, but okay, that's kinda useful sometimes, and it could also be used to echo harvester and the shift itself out, saving 18 res. I'd understand that. A shade? I simply don't get it. That feels like painting Times Square grey and saying "Nothing here.". Damn, people KNOW it's there, so why cloak it?
    Even if you want to drop some other structures after a while, why not drop these first? Maybe move them afterwards if you are OCDed and don't want the marines to know where they are.

I asked a khammander once why he dropped the shade not a crag, and he got angry and yelled "That's my decision, take care of your own business!" and "I don't have time to explain this!" and then went on to explain for 10 minutes why he has no time to explain, so my impression was "He doesnt know and is incapable of admitting a mistake." I also thought it's probably hard to have him as a workplace collegue.
    I asked another, and he said "To hide the whip." (there was no whip at that time). I understand that (kinda), but why not drop the whip first?
  • SPAAAARTAAAASPAAAARTAAAA Join Date: 2013-08-28 Member: 187133Members
    the answer is: rookie commanders
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Opps, Wrong Key Bro, My bad.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    I understand what exactly you are talking about, but here is a cool trick that can justify shade near harvester: position shade precisely, so it cloaks harveater but not the cyst, when marines walk in they see cysted resnode, but no harvester. "Ah, nothing here yet"
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    I don't think that works. Uncapped nodes have this smoke effect that does not show if there is a cloaked harvester on it.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Could potentially be to hide a gorge tunnel.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    BeigeAlert wrote: »
    ^ This. I usually try to put shades on nodes with gorge tunnels next to them. If I can, I'll try to space out the shade behind a wall or something so marines won't discover it instantly when they find the tunnel. On nodes where you haven't cysted to yet, you can cloak the entire node/infestation coming from the gorge tunnel.

• DestherDesther Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165195Members
    On it's own there isn't much use but it can still cloak skulks and gorges.
  • xen32xen32 Join Date: 2012-10-18 Member: 162676Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Aeglos wrote: »
    I don't think that works. Uncapped nodes have this smoke effect that does not show if there is a cloaked harvester on it.

It works because most people aren't Sherlocks.

I'm not saying it is something that can protect your harvesters, but it can win you some time, i.e. marines will start building power, some will proceed to next room in hopes of finding other structures to destroy, some sneaky bastards can hide near RT and wait for khamm to drop fresh harvester (this is the most comical scenario).
  • cooliticcoolitic Right behind you Join Date: 2013-04-02 Member: 184609Members
    To take away attention from the harvesters.
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Id say IF you want to put something next to it, put a crag next to it and tell your bloody alien minions to do something about that filthy marine putting metal in your harvester.
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I never shade harvesters.
    However, I might shade all the crags and whips I've put around the harvester ;)
  • BensonBenson Join Date: 2012-03-07 Member: 148303Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It WOULD make it easier to defend.

When skulks arrive, they can be invisible before they enter the Marine's line of sight
  • Soul_RiderSoul_Rider Mod Bean Join Date: 2004-06-19 Member: 29388Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Benson wrote: »

When skulks arrive, they can be invisible before they enter the Marine's line of sight

But what tends to happen is skulks start walking when close to the area so the marine doesn't hear them and then they come into the cloak area and continue walking and then by the time they get to the marine the harvester is already dead...

• BishopCBishopC Germany Join Date: 2014-02-18 Member: 194139Members

Benson wrote: »

But what tends to happen is skulks start walking when close to the area so the marine doesn't hear them and then they come into the cloak area and continue walking and then by the time they get to the marine the harvester is already dead...

This. (Also, this is what I described in the second post.) Time is of the essence when you try to defend an RT, and a crag can buy you a lot of time, where a shade costs time. Also, harvester heal and self heal. If you don't have a gorge close by, the second marine attack will kill the almost dead harvester for sure.

It works because most people aren't Sherlocks.

I'm not saying it is something that can protect your harvesters, but it can win you some time, i.e. marines will start building power, some will proceed to next room in hopes of finding other structures to destroy, some sneaky bastards can hide near RT and wait for khamm to drop fresh harvester (this is the most comical scenario).

I don't think you have to be Sherlock. Actually, you have to be pretty dense to miss a cloaked harvester, and in my 1000+ hours, I can't remember having seen a marine coming by a cloaked harvester, thinking "Oh, nothing here, will move on." Even cloaked, it makes this gargling swallow sound. And it will decloak the moment the marine touches it. So even if a marine comes to an empty node, he tends to call the commander and then WALK INTO THE CLOAKED HARVESTER. Time bought: Zero!

I have to admit, the universe and stupidity are infinite, so I suppose I will some day witness a marine passing a harvester. And I will probably laugh my a$$ off.
    However, I might shade all the crags and whips I've put around the harvester ;)

Totally agree. I do this too when I have excess res.

Cloak a gorge tunnel, totally agree. That's what shade is for, hide upgrades, hide gorge tunnels. Totally understand. But that's not the case. I really see this all the time, there is nothing but a harvester and a shade. I swear, these khammanders drop a harvester wherever they can, and then drop nothing but a shade with no one being around.

Okay, I think we can close this thread now. I still think this is not a viable tactic and will facepalm everytime I see a khammander do that.

Thank you for your posts!
  • amoralamoral Join Date: 2013-01-03 Member: 177250Members
    one thing that it will save is cysts. decysted damage is almost equal that of a single marine. if the marine can't find the cyst, your harvester might live.

on the other hand, I'll shoot empty nodes to check, almost always. and crag is much more useful.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can't we just say you got a noob comm, and leave it at that?
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Seriously, I dont know a single marine who doesnt pop a bullet at the space above an RT just in case.

What you do, mate, is you put a shade in a position where it only covers the crag that you put also within range, but out of LoS of the RT.

Marines shoot at the RT and will take a couple of seconds to realise it's under crag (if they realise at all), and then either a) attempt to kill the RT under crag healing, which takes more time, or b) first FIND and then kill the crag that they otherwise would have destroyed straight off.

If you shade the RT, you make it freaking obvious you've got hidden structures and they will be quickly scanned for and focused down.