shift+space -> previous position

SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
I play as commander a lot and I use the spacebar to respond to requests for extractors, ammo- and medpacks. I often find myself in the situation where I'm supporting a group of marines doing something important for the team when someone makes a request. I press space to deal with the request and when I'm done I would like a quick way to get back to the last position on the map.

Suggestion: <space> to go to a request and <shift>+<space> to go to your previous position. What do you think?

Comments

• SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I was thinking of something similar to this earlier, something like hotkeys for structures/players but for position.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    Done. Added bind for it

Thanks! I think the CDT is the best thing that has happened to NS2 in a long time :)

• DecoyDecoy Join Date: 2012-09-11 Member: 159037Members, Super Administrators, Playtest Lead, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Oh my god this is the best thing ever.
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    While I run in to the same issue, I don't think your suggestion is the best way to deal with it. Don't get me wrong, this is not going to hurt my play at all, but I don't see how I could possibly use this very efficiently.

Because there's no guarentee that the marines you were assisting are in the 'previous position' anymore, so they might be off-centered or even off-screen, by the time you get back, and that will cause some missed or delayed meds.

Using the mouse on the minimap seems much more consistent than what you're proposing imo. But again, I see no problem implementing something like this, I'd just probably not use it myself for the reasons above.

The way I avoid OP's issue.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    Because there's no guarentee that the marines you were assisting are in the 'previous position' anymore, so they might be off-centered or even off-screen, by the time you get back, and that will cause some missed or delayed meds.

With this feature I Think that I will be able to, after some practice, respond to a request, drop an extractor and get back to the original position on the map in one or two seconds. Marines won't even know I'm gone :)
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Using the mouse on the minimap seems much more consistent than what you're proposing imo. But again, I see no problem implementing something like this, I'd just probably not use it myself for the reasons above.

^ This. A bind will probably be a bit quicker though which is nice.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    This will be in 267
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    SupaFred wrote: »
    With this feature I Think that I will be able to, after some practice, respond to a request, drop an extractor and get back to the original position on the map in one or two seconds. Marines won't even know I'm gone :)

Learn to use binds man ;) trust me.