The imminent death of natural selection 2

13»

Comments

• LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
  • ZeframZefram Join Date: 2004-05-11 Member: 28611Members, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Locklear wrote: »

I'm going to start the competitive Goat Sim League this summer.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    goat sim is another example of something going well because it's so unique. just because it has a silly title doesn't mean it's not any fun :) i'd also play that just for the fact that i can play a rampaging goat (i mean wtf?) and that bugs are intentionally kept in the game, that definately sounds like a one-of-a-kind experience to me. a game i'd pick up again a few months later because... some days you just want to be a goat and hurl objects around with your tongue. j
  • KbpringleKbpringle Join Date: 2013-08-21 Member: 187003Members
    $60 - Pre-order Payday 2 - Played for 26 Pathetic Hours.

So I wasn't the only one disappointed in Payday 2. Put quite a few hours in the first one but for some reason the second never clicked even though it is clearly a better game.

And to the actual topic. Let them keep making these stupid threads, and we'll just keep playing more NS2. It may not always be my number 1 game but I can't imagine not playing a game or two a week just to get my fix. There simply isn't anything like it out right now.
  • NS-SoldierNS-Soldier Join Date: 2013-01-16 Member: 179856Members
    edited June 2014
    when you join the most populated public servers, teams tend to be one sided. the noobs play once, get owned and rage quit.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    edited June 2014
    NS-Soldier wrote: »
    when you join the most populated public servers, teams tend to be one sided. the noobs play once, get owned and rage quit.
    That... just... *sigh*

Not true.

For one -- the most obvious of all -- one-sided teams happen regardless of server size, and you know this. And two, If anything, new players feel more comfortable on large servers blending in, where their lack of experience won't cost the team.

Can we let this uninformed perception please die, finally, totally, please?

And get on with making them feel welcome, regardless of which server they join.

Thankyou.

• CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Martigen wrote: »
    NS-Soldier wrote: »
    That... just... *sigh*

Not true.

For one -- the most obvious of all -- one-sided teams happen regardless of server size, and you know this. And two, If anything, new players feel more comfortable on large servers blending in, where their lack of experience won't cost the team.

Can we let this uninformed perception please die, finally, totally, please?

And get on with making them feel welcome, regardless of which server they join.

Thankyou.
    Populated does not relate to server size (12/24 = not populated; 23/24 = populated)

Furthermore. It's been seen for a while that rookies feel most comfortable joining marines as it is familiar. Leading the more experienced players to join aliens for the most part, which usually results in a fairly one sided match.

You are correct, this is not 100% of the time, but I do think that rookies, when left to their own devices, largely stack marines, causing the more veteran (even if only slightly more veteran) to load up aliens.

So I've been starting to tell rookies to Join aliens to become a better marine, and also to prevent bad games from happening as often.
  • MartigenMartigen Australia Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2714Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Reinforced - Onos
    edited June 2014
    Calego wrote: »
    Populated does not relate to server size (12/24 = not populated; 23/24 = populated)
    You're right, I jumped to conclusions there.
    You are correct, this is not 100% of the time, but I do think that rookies, when left to their own devices, largely stack marines, causing the more veteran (even if only slightly more veteran) to load up aliens.

So I've been starting to tell rookies to Join aliens to become a better marine, and also to prevent bad games from happening as often.

I was just thinking about this earlier and was going to update the 'NS2 is on sale, welcome the greens' thread saying a similar thing, because they will get an unbalanced game if they all go rines. I'll add that now in fact.

• kmgkmg Join Date: 2008-02-28 Member: 63758Members
    ns2isgood wrote: »
    Well, if that's the case, I hope they are fair about it and put it on everything above 6v6 that everyone claims the game was designed for, or test load on every server to see if it can properly handle the game. There are plenty of 16/22/24/32 slot servers that also lag and can't handle the game in some way or the other.

there will always be bad servers, but everything above about 24 players is broken.
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    @Tick
    Frankly you should not be the one complaining about the decrease of player base while you host a 24 slot server.

I understand this is a contribution that is not free (40€/month aprox (50 USD)). But better do nothing than that. I'm now avoiding your server as it has become a free candy spot for veteran. Granted the game has issues but that's not a 24 slot server that will improve it.

If you want to improve NS2 player base and more generally "mood"
    -You should make your server 16 max slot. Divide into two server is better than having a big one.
    -Include custom maps. Having more maps will force player to learn to behave (play NS properly) instead of learning maps and forge routines like robots. NS isn't CS.

For Modder:
    -A better interface about voting and stuff would really improve the game. A look and feel that is accessible for anyone, is always to consider.
    Ex: Having a image in map selection when voting is better than text alone.

For others: Locking servers on a single map is just ridiculous especially when it's Veil (i still vote for 5 TPs).
  • soccerguy243soccerguy243 Join Date: 2012-12-22 Member: 175920Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    I hate 5TP maps. I've had a couple long games back and forth but since the aliens have 3 TPs they get infestation drop (or whatever) and they simply dictated the pace of the game.

We were having a good battle but they just get to set us into defensive mode defending his infestation drops.

I have stopped playing less because 90% of the games are decided within 5 minutes. If you get ahead you're likely to stay ahead and the uphill battle for the other team is steep.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I bought into NS2 the moment they opened up the Black Armour deal, still played it more than BF3 & BF4 combined and they were £49 each!

NS2 is a brilliant and unique game, I still play it loads and hopefully will for many years to come.

Heck, Id even play NS1 if I could get a few players together :x