Server problem: "file not found" after map change

SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
edited June 2014 in Technical Support
This error is new to me. It happens after a map change. Players connecting are disconnected with the error message "file not found". Here is the server log: server log
The server is still running and is showing up in the server browser. Tick rate goes down to 0 according to ns2servers.devicenull.org

Mods on the server: Shine admin, NS2Stats. Cross Spawns. NS2+, Handicap Mod and Pregame plus.

It happens a lot on my Combat server too. Mods: Shine admin, NS2Stats, NS2+ and Combat mod.

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    That's my all time favorite issue:
    If you load a custom map but the mapmod fail to load up because of workshop timeout the server freezes because it can't load up the mapfile.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    I haven't seen it like this before. The server usually just crashes on map change. This time it shows up in the browser. But I think it has only happened on custom maps so your explanation makes sense.
  • AmadAmad Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186626Members, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Weird, I'm having the exact same problem. After a map change all of my mods are disabled and if it's a custom map, people will automatically get the, "file not found" error. Related to workshop I guess?
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2014
    Yeah this issue only appears at public servers if steam is under heavy load ( basically every steam sale ). But it's kind of pretty old but the cdt team is on it. Just not that easy to fix.

BTW you can easily reproduce this by changing to a "Fake" map. Just use sv_changemap ns2_fake and and your server will "freeze" at mapload.
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    Just not that easy to fix.

Could you perhaps elaborate a bit why it's not that easy? It should be just a fallback on the existing and downloaded mod files it already has.
    Additionally you might not be aware that for some reason, some servers appear to have more difficulty contacting the workshop than others. That's possibly geographic but those servers, especially if they promote custom maps, are in trouble.

• MetaMindMetaMind Join Date: 2012-12-06 Member: 174358Members, Reinforced - Gold
    edited June 2014
    I ran into the exact same problem with my Last Resistance(Survivor) -Mod. Is there a way to change the map at least manually or using some sort of workaround?

@GhoulofGSG9‌
    f you load a custom map but the mapmod fail to load up because of workshop timeout the server freezes because it can't load up the mapfile.

What do you mean by mapmod? The modified luas nescessary for the map. If so would it be possible to load up ".level" -only maps (which dont have luas etc)
  • ATFATF Join Date: 2014-05-09 Member: 195944Members
    So i found out it's possible to recover the server if you change to a standard map from the console.

Additionally, if you're quick enough, you can recover the server, load the desired map, and keep most of the clients connected by typing changemap ns2_custommap right after it gives the error that the map load failed.

This means, theoretically, it should be super easy to make a temporary workaround for this issue by simply loading the same map three times after a failed map load until it succeeds and if not, fallback to a standard map.

Can we have this?