Let's make a list of hidden mechanics

Comments

• MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    IronHorse wrote: »
    To update the first page by answering 2 questions:
    "do flamethrowers remove bile from structures/marines/exos (after bile bomb impact)?
    does healspray instantly extinguish flames on a structure?"

Yes and yes, afaik.

You can also catch the Bile bomb mid flight and stop it with a FT, am telling you, Best weapon in the game if used right (dont go solo with it, you will just either die, or die.)
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    MaxAmus wrote: »
    "do flamethrowers remove bile from structures/marines/exos (after bile bomb impact)?

Yes and yes, afaik.

You can also catch the Bile bomb mid flight and stop it with a FT, am telling you, Best weapon in the game if used right (dont go solo with it, you will just either die, or die.)

You know what else is also really good to deny bilebomb? An lmg and a welder.
  • MaxAmusMaxAmus UK Join Date: 2003-12-26 Member: 24779Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    SantaClaws wrote: »
    MaxAmus wrote: »

Yes and yes, afaik.

You know what else is also really good to deny bilebomb? An lmg and a welder.

Yes, because that is really hidden, and no one knows about the LMG and welder, then again, watching a rookie chase a gorge around a marine base is quite funny.
  • Laosh'RaLaosh'Ra Join Date: 2011-12-09 Member: 137232Members
    edited August 2014
    This took longer than expected (first exams, then waiting for b267, then playing it a bit) but finally, here is the update.

I added Tips/Comments/Examples for every mechanic, reworked the structure and revised the content. The steam guide is also updated to status quo. Thanks for all the contributions and feel free to post your oppinions/criticism/suggestions since these new additions are highly subjective now (i colored them differently so you can easily filter them out while reading if you want to).

In case anyone ever plans on using the content somewhere else: please note that the Tips/Comments/Examples relate to the mechanic and probably don't make much sense all on their own.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Got another one: When you try to evolve in a vent, but there is not enough vertical space, try holding "crouch" while pressing "B". In some places, this makes it work.
  • MendaspMendasp I touch maps in inappropriate places Valencia, Spain Join Date: 2002-07-05 Member: 884Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Retired Community Developer
    MrFangs wrote: »
    Got another one: When you try to evolve in a vent, but there is not enough vertical space, try holding "crouch" while pressing "B". In some places, this makes it work.
    It's not because of vertical space, it's because you're wallwalking, you need to be on the ground to evolve, that's why pressing crouch lets you evolve, it "unsticks" you, so you drop to the ground.
  • MrFangsMrFangs Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184474Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Mendasp wrote: »
    It's not because of vertical space, it's because you're wallwalking, you need to be on the ground to evolve, that's why pressing crouch lets you evolve, it "unsticks" you, so you drop to the ground.
    I've been walking upside down all the time? Why didn't anyone tell me! :))

I always assumed it was some weird collision box effect... But your explanation makes a lot more sense. And yes, I just tested, that's indeed what's happening.
    On second thought: Wouldn't it make sense to automatically cancel wall-walking when you press "evolve"? That would make this process less obscure for new players.

Of course, the player's model will need some time to drop to the floor first, so the build menu probably can't be brought up immediately. But the player will see that happening, and then it's quite natural to press B again, which will work this time.
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    @MrFangs‌
    then you accidentally press B while creeping somewhere and automatically get dumped off the wall/ceiling? No thanks!
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Wait, I was pretty sure you can evolve on a wall and it puts you on the ground anyway...
    edited August 2014
    Roobubba wrote: »
    @MrFangs‌
    then you accidentally press B while creeping somewhere and automatically get dumped off the wall/ceiling? No thanks!

Yes, I hear that happens a lot :)
    3bglyBB.gif
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    Roobubba wrote: »
    @MrFangs‌

Roob, first of all.. Who the hell presses B by mistake? How does this happen...?

Second of all, he said it woul cancel wall-walking when you evolve - not when you press B. If you press evolve by mistake while creeping somewhere, you need to uninstall the game lol :p
  • RoobubbaRoobubba Who you gonna call? Join Date: 2003-01-06 Member: 11930Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Oh I can press any key by mistake, if it does something disruptive enough :D
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    Whether it happens or not we're not the people to ask. I think if you really wanted a solution like this, wallclimb should cancel when you hit "Evolve" but not when you hit "b" to bring the menu up.
    Calego wrote: »
    Whether it happens or not we're not the people to ask. I think if you really wanted a solution like this, wallclimb should cancel when you hit "Evolve" but not when you hit "b" to bring the menu up.

I don't think this would work... the game has to determine if there's enough space to evolve. And the answer is currently "no" when wall-walking inside certain vents. So the entire point of cancelling the wall-walk is to get the player model into a position where it is allowed to evolve.

Sure, you could bring up the evolve menu, cancel the wall-walk the moment the player clicks on "evolve", wait until the model hits the next surface, and then check if there's enough space. But frankly, that sounds like a horrible UI.

What I was actually suggesting was to cancel wall-walking the moment you press "B". Seriously, if you manage to press that key by accident, you're bound to have many other... interesting accidents in this game :)
    this sounds helpful but i'm not sure if we can call this a (hidden) mechanic since it's not really a game 'rule'. well the rule could be "you need sufficient vertical space to evolve" and your suggestion would be the tip related to it? i think i'll look into this ingame a bit.

i've played on a [SWE] Thirsty Onos (or something) server recently and it seems that it displays the tips from this list (not word by word but exactly the same content) on the left side in grey text.
    makes me happy that this knowledge is put to use, but i'm still curious about the details: e.g. if it's a mod available on the workshop, it would definately be nice to link to it it here and on the steamguide and possibly vice-versa.
    Laosh'Ra wrote: »
    this sounds helpful but i'm not sure if we can call this a (hidden) mechanic since it's not really a game 'rule'. well the rule could be "you need sufficient vertical space to evolve" and your suggestion would be the tip related to it?

That's how I rephrased it in the other thread: "Sometimes you can't evolve in a vent because you're actually wall-walking. Press crouch to make sure you're on the floor, then try evolving again."

I'm sure the wording could be improved, but I think it should be in the list. It's something you may never find out on your own, but it can have a big effect on gameplay.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited August 2014
    @Laosh'Ra‌

That's my server. I use the Adverts plugin for Shine to display those help texts in the server chat. I added a lot of tips from your list to it.

I posted it in another thread already but here it is again. It's free for anyone to use in any form.
    {
    "Interval": 60,
    "Adverts": [ {
    "B": 160,
    "Type": "chat",
    "R": 160,
    "Message": "Welcome to The Thirsty Onos.",
    "G": 160
    }, {
    "Message": "Specify your amount of video RAM in Options -> Graphics (reduces hitching).",
    }, {
    "Message": "What is the commander researching? Press J.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Skulks: avoid the floor at all times. Jump on walls for a speed boost. Sneak, ambush and attack in groups.",
    }, {
    "Message": "An exploding mine can set of other mines. Place them a few meters apart.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Marines: when the commander is using ARCs, your job is to guard them. Don't overextend and die.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Aliens: protect your gorges. They are important to your team. And cute.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Rule of thumb for marines: build the powernode first, then the structure.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Don't go commander until you are familiar with the game. Help inexperienced commanders.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Evolving to a higher life form? Q to request mist that will speed up the gestation.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Want the marine commander to drop an extractor? Press H.",
    }, {
    "Message": "If your teeth are flashing white you are in range of a scan or an observatory.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Red mist is enzyme, a drifter ability that increases movement and attack speed.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Yellow smoke is umbra, a lerk ability that reduces damage taken by 33%.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Green mist is mucuous membrane, a drifter ability that heals aliens' armor.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Flamethrowers can burn away lerk spores, lerk umbra and gorge bilebomb projectiles.",
    }, {
    "Message": "A destroyed powernode is rebuilt faster if you use a welder.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Mines detonate if infestation spreads onto them.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Exos can step on eggs to destroy them. The exo's railgun pierces through multiple targets.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Whips and hydras survive without infestation. Whips will not attack when off infestation or on fire.",
    }, {
    "Message": "You can queue a jump (press and hold jump before touching the ground let's you instantly jump again).",
    }, {
    "Message": "You can determine the level of marine weapon upgrade by the sound of their rifles.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Join The Thirsty Onos Steam group! And chat with us regulars in the group chat.",
    }, {
    "Message": "When marines have no armor upgrade they can be killed with 3 skulk bites or 2 skulk bites + 1 parasite.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Gorge: use bilebomb to destroy dropped marine weapons (400 hp).",
    }, {
    "Message": "Gorge: look below you at the floor when heal spraying, you will regain twice as much health. Nothing around you will be healed.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Flamethrowers disable passive abilities of alien structures when setting them on fire.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Gorge: healspray can instantly extuingish flames on a burning lifeform or structure.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Spores prevent sentry guns from targeting. Exos are immune to spores.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Lerk: if you want to descent very quickly while flying, you can press duck.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Watch out for traps. Check your back whenever you proceed a possible hiding spot (corners/doors/high ceilings etc).",
    }, {
    "Message": "Onos: stomp detonates mines and it briefly stops sentries from fireing.",
    }, {
    "Message": "When finished building, alien structures increase their max hp and armor over time until they are mature.",
    }, {
    "Message": "When fully matured, whips gain bile bomb with longer range than the whip's slap.",
    }, {
    "Message": "There are different damage types (normal, light, heavy, bio, corrode, flame, gas, puncture, splash, structure and nerve gas).",
    }, {
    "Message": "Observatories can beacon all living marines to the nearest completed command chair, even if in another room.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Comm: recycle refund is 75% of structure cost. Refund is reduced proportional to the structure's total health.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Comm: selecting a parasited arms lab will show what the marines are currently researching.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Communication is the key to everything teamplay related. Report important things you notice.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Tell your team about partially damaged RTs/structures so teammates nearby can take over when you've died.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Watch out for traps. Check your back whenever you proceed a possible hiding spot (corners/doors/high ceilings etc).",
    }, {
    "Message": "Aliens: Tired of choosing upgrades on spawn? Bind \"evolve last upgrades\" to a key in Options -> Bindings.",
    }, {
    "Message": "RTV = Rock The Vote = vote for a map change.",
    }, {
    "Message": "NS2Stats tracks detailed statistics. Find yours at ns2stats.com",
    }, {
    "Message": "\"bind F5 j1\" in console. In the ready room press F5 to join marines.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Switch between TTO servers by pressing M -> Switch Server.",
    }, {
    "Message": "In console: \"sv_handicap <0.1-1>\" to reduce damage output. 1 = 100% damage.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Visit the NS2 wiki at wiki.unknownworlds.com for detailed info about structures, weapons, damage types and more.",
    }, {
    "Message": "TTO servers are not listed as rookie friendly but rookies are welcome. Help them learn.",
    }, {
    "Message": "Donations? No thanks. Contribute by teaching lesser skilled players how to play.",
    } ]
    }

Save the content in a file called Adverts.json in your /config/shine/plugins/ folder and activate the adverts plugin in Shine.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Mendasp wrote: »

Eggs on the ceiling man, just saying :>
  • RadimaXRadimaX Join Date: 2013-02-05 Member: 182840Members
    infestation detonates mines too lol
  • lifesfunlifesfun Join Date: 2011-02-24 Member: 83302Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited August 2014
    Time to revamp the Ns2 wiki :D

Ns2Wiki

It is soo outdated !
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    edited August 2014
    Welders build up structures 12% faster than a builder tool.

This is actually a bug. :)

In my tests it only had a difference of 1-2%, not 12%.

I believe it is largely dependent on how stable the framerate is on the server. It's not coded to be faster, it's actually a bug. Short version is that the welder is only delayed half as much by frame variance as the use tool. On a more populated/taxed server (I only had 1 person on my server), the variance may be larger and the difference in the tools build speed will likely be more noticeable.

Still fussing it out, but even with no frame variance I think the Welder would still build faster because the frame time isn't perfectly divisible into 100ms chunks, and so there would be some extra cost either way. If it's a 33ms frame that would actually result I think in about a 12.5% faster build time. If it's a 50ms frame, it would only be down to the variance.

After more testing, I think it was running the server at 60fps, not 30fps. I used maxfps to limit my client and then the welder sped up and I saw the 12% difference. Woohoo.
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    remi.D wrote: »
    Welders build up structures 12% faster than a builder tool.

This is actually a bug. :)

In my tests it only had a difference of 1-2%, not 12%.

I believe it is largely dependent on how stable the framerate is on the server. It's not coded to be faster, it's actually a bug. Short version is that the welder is only delayed half as much by frame variance as the use tool. On a more populated/taxed server (I only had 1 person on my server), the variance may be larger and the difference in the tools build speed will likely be more noticeable.

Still fussing it out, but even with no frame variance I think the Welder would still build faster because the frame time isn't perfectly divisible into 100ms chunks, and so there would be some extra cost either way. If it's a 33ms frame that would actually result I think in about a 12.5% faster build time. If it's a 50ms frame, it would only be down to the variance.

After more testing, I think it was running the server at 60fps, not 30fps. I used maxfps to limit my client and then the welder sped up and I saw the 12% difference. Woohoo.

@remi.D‌ I put that suggestion to @Laosh'Ra‌ after someone suggested it to me. I tested it on a sand box server to get the difference. Nice find on why it was faster. Would be a nice incentive to have it build faster I think (to encourage ppl to buy welders). Its a good thing my max fps is 60 before capping :-)
  • CalegoCalego Join Date: 2013-01-24 Member: 181848Members, NS2 Map Tester
    It's simply intuitive that welders would build faster.

And since they kinda doooo already... This should be a feature fo sho :)

CDT assemberuuuuu!
    Doesn't the tutorial already say that welders build faster?
    Calego wrote: »
    Doesn't the tutorial already say that welders build faster?
    Only for repairing power nodes IIRC.
  • eagleyeeagleye Join Date: 2007-09-01 Member: 62114Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    You can add :
    - As marine, you can see evolving eggs on the minimap
    - As Fade, you can transfer vertical velocity to horizontal one by timing your blink right (20 speed normal and 23 speed with celerity)
  • meatmachinemeatmachine South England Join Date: 2013-01-06 Member: 177858Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    eagleye wrote: »
    - As Fade, you can transfer vertical velocity to horizontal one by timing your blink right (20 speed normal and 23 speed with celerity)
    If you're gonna explain it, probably worth specifying a little more;
    "As fade, blinking before you hti the ground from a long fall will provide an extra speed boost" or something like that?
  • eagleyeeagleye Join Date: 2007-09-01 Member: 62114Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    done updating for b238.

i didn't really understand that fade tip you gave there (probably because fade is the only thing i basically never play) but i'll try to figure it out during some pgp :) but feel free to write it down comprehensively as mechanic + comment/tip ready for copy-paste.