Game Crashes after first die

Crunch07Crunch07 Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143746Members
edited August 2014 in Technical Support
Hey Guys,

i played the last time 6 months ago and now i have a new computer system and downloaded the game and start it but when i join a server and die for the first time the game hangs off.
I see at the marines my character at the spawn and only hear the ingame music but nothing else run.

My Specs:
I5 4690k
8GB Gskill
Asus R9 280X

Comments

• GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Hi welcome to the community tech support,

sadly we run out of magic cystal balls therefor i would like you to read this and post more info about your issue so we able to help you :D
  • Crunch07Crunch07 Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143746Members
    Oh sry, i search for the problem in the forum but doesnt find something like this and forgot to read the topic ;)
    but here is the link from my techfile:
    file-upload.net/download-9331160/tech_support.zip.html
  • quintoxquintox Join Date: 2008-11-27 Member: 65594Members
    Same problem here, I get killed and the game freezes up completely. Can't even bring my task manager to the front, have to wait for the game to properly crash with a memory issue, or so it seems "Error: Failed to allocate 536870916 bytes and will now terminate."

This problem occured since the latest patch.

My log tech_support files:
    http://www8.zippyshare.com/v/58612429/file.html

• LacoolLacool United States Join Date: 2014-08-05 Member: 197823Members
    I'm having the same exact problem, exactly as quintox and crunch described, a very hard freeze right after my first death. If it tries to send the bug report it hangs up completely.

http://www21.zippyshare.com/v/47717140/file.html

Game runs quite well other than that.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    Ok guys, I'd like you to all try this:

Open NS2, and disable ALL your personal mods.

Close NS2.

Go to C:/Users/YOUR-NAME-HERE/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/

Delete EVERYTHING in the WORKSHOP folder.

Then DELETE the Folder called 'cache' in C:/Users/YOUR-NAME-HERE/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/

Restart NS2 - Join a Vanilla server with NO MODS like YoClan.co.uk (148.251.50.39:27016 or 148.251.50.39:27036)

See how you get on.
  • Doomslayer14Doomslayer14 Join Date: 2014-08-05 Member: 197822Members
    Can you play on other modded servers after you play on a vanilla server?
    Or you need to play only vanilla?
  • Cannon_FodderAUSCannon_FodderAUS Brisbane, AU Join Date: 2013-06-23 Member: 185664Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Can you play on other modded servers after you play on a vanilla server?
    Or you need to play only vanilla?

@Doomslayer14‌ generally after a patch hit, the mods that aren't updated may give you problems (time difference issue as well). Hence the no mods should fix issues comment. Probably give your mods 48 hrs or so for it to be updated and compatible with the new patch.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    Most mods like Shine, NS2+ (after hotfix grrr mendasp ), Badges+ and all mods based on Shine were rdy for 267 a few mins after the patch got released.

There a some few mods however which are still used by some ppl which are not maintain activly and might therefor crash the game. Try to avoid those.
    I've tried to play with shine based mods and NS2+ still didn't work
    :((
  • AegisEdgeAegisEdge Join Date: 2014-08-06 Member: 197827Members
    edited August 2014
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Ok guys, I'd like you to all try this:

Open NS2, and disable ALL your personal mods.

Close NS2.

Go to C:/Users/YOUR-NAME-HERE/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/Workshop/

Delete EVERYTHING in the WORKSHOP folder.

Then DELETE the Folder called 'cache' in C:/Users/YOUR-NAME-HERE/AppData/Roaming/Natural Selection 2/

Restart NS2 - Join a Vanilla server with NO MODS like YoClan.co.uk (148.251.50.39:27016 or 148.251.50.39:27036)

See how you get on.

Thank you for your help Obraxis, unfortunately it hasn't helped.

I will go through what I have tested today in an attempt to get this to work as well as the ONLY fix I found.

My Rig:-

CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770k CPU @ 3.50GHZ and 3.5GHz Hyperthreaded

GPU - 2x Nvidia Geforce 780 @ 3GB Each using an SLI

RAM - 16GB

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium

What I have tried:-

So far I have tried two clean installs which include deleting both folders you named as well as installing it from scratch. Once without deleting any registry objects, once with, neither had any effect.

I also tried disabling any new features added by the patch as well as a combination of new features. This did not work. I attempted disabling my SLI which did not work and I also tried running the game in both DX11 and DX9 whilst doing all of the above.

The only fix I have found is dropping from my 1920x1080 resolution to a lower one. I have not tested as to what limit I can put it up to but I can confirm this bug does not happen when I have my resolution set to 1280x720 on both DX11 and DX9 both with and without SLI. So as far as I can tell, the issues lies solely when I for some reason run the game at 1920x1080 and either try to evolve as an alien or re-spawn as a Marine after death.

I hope this helps someone somewhere. Alas for me, I am a performance snob and dislike playing the game at such an ugly resolution so for me, I'm out until its fixed. I pray someone finds a fix for this soon. Only recently got my Shadow pack >.<

EDIT - Also my drivers are up to date =D
  • VannkokerVannkoker Norway Join Date: 2014-08-06 Member: 197828Members
    Got the same issue.. Uploading my dump file
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Checking @Vannkoker his/her log I saw:
    Error: Failed to allocate 536870916 bytes and will now terminate.

Which does not sound like a infinite black screen.

I didnt check the other tech zips because really.. upload sites like those suck. Why not attach to forum?
    Ok so changing my resoloution worked!

Problem solved with me

thanks for all the help!
    Checking @Vannkoker his/her log I saw:
    Error: Failed to allocate 536870916 bytes and will now terminate.

Which does not sound like a infinite black screen.

I didnt check the other tech zips because really.. upload sites like those suck. Why not attach to forum?

Well i get a infinite black screen, and i hear the spawn music... But after a while that error pops up
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    Log file says you are running DX11.
    Please note as the warning states when selecting this rendering method that it is in BETA mode, and therefore can have issues.
    Please switch to the recommended renderer DX9, in your game options and see if you have this issue still. (At your prior resolution that had issues)

IF this doesn't resolve the issue:
    Sounds like memory corruption issues possibly.

Can i request that one of you that can reproduce this issue please upload your techsupport.exe zip file that you run WHILE NS2 REMAINS OPENED - even if crashed and black screened.
    This means you may have to Alt +Tab or press Windows key + E to open explorer and navigate to the folder.
    Doing this will make a large large dump file (a folder will be created in your techsupport.zip file thats saved)

Please upload this file to somewhere on the internet, like dropbox, and provide us with the link to it.
    This is the fastest way to solve this issue for everyone ;)

Thanks everyone
  • JumJumJumJum Sweden Join Date: 2014-08-06 Member: 197830Members
    I can confirm that lower resolution from 1920x1080 (which is my native resolution) stops the crashing. I also noticed these new videos... which is most likely why I'm crashing because I haven't seen them before. I don't have time to try this out, but you can disable the popup vids in options. Try this and then see if you crash at 1920x1080 res.
  • rkfgrkfg Russia Join Date: 2013-09-03 Member: 187744Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I'll also send the backtrace (yay!) on crash. For now it seems that setting Texture Handling to 2Gb+ causes OOM though I have exactly 2 Gb of VRAM. Ye old good 32-bit memory fragmentation, huh? No matter how much RAM AND VRAM you have, setting that option to 2Gb+ may lead to crash because NS2 doesn't have a 64 bit build (any possibility of turning the tides here?) . Played a couple of matches on 1.5Gb, haven't crashed but it needs more testing.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    Log file says you are running DX11.
    Please note as the warning states when selecting this rendering method that it is in BETA mode, and therefore can have issues.
    Please switch to the recommended renderer DX9, in your game options and see if you have this issue still. (At your prior resolution that had issues)

IF this doesn't resolve the issue:
    Sounds like memory corruption issues possibly.

Can i request that one of you that can reproduce this issue please upload your techsupport.exe zip file that you run WHILE NS2 REMAINS OPENED - even if crashed and black screened.
    This means you may have to Alt +Tab or press Windows key + E to open explorer and navigate to the folder.
    Doing this will make a large large dump file (a folder will be created in your techsupport.zip file thats saved)

Please upload this file to somewhere on the internet, like dropbox, and provide us with the link to it.
    This is the fastest way to solve this issue for everyone ;)

Thanks everyone

Changed my settings back to DX9, and still have issues with my 1080p Res. Changed it to a lower res and it didnt crash anymore. Uploading my new dump
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014
    @Vannkoker‌ Did you run techsupport.exe while NS2 was still opened/ crashed?? Because the dump file does not show up

@rkfg‌ Yea unsure how well opengl runs with the latest commands. Feel free to find a sweet spot with r_texmax (value here that is 400 mb less than your VRAM)
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @Vannkoker‌ Did you run techsupport.exe while NS2 was still opened/ crashed?? Because the dump file does not show up

@rkfg‌ Yea unsure how well opengl runs with the latest commands. Feel free to find a sweet spot with r_texmax (value here that is 400 mb less than your VRAM)

Yes i did
    Turn off all kind of hints, that should solve your issue ;)
    Turn off all kind of hints, that should solve your issue ;)

Thanks! that fixed the issue
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    To @Crunch07 @LACOOL @quintox @Doomslayer14 @AegisEdge @Vannkoker @DC_DARKLING @JumJum‌
    As @GhoulofGSG9 has said, a workaround has been found. We have now found the actual issue and can reproduce it. Turns out it's a bug with 'awesomium ', the built-in video player to play Videos in NS2 (which is kind of like a webbrowser) - and to make things worse, it's only on some machines, not all machines and was not detected during playtesting.

All you have to do is disable the Video Hints and everything should be fine. We will fix this in a future update. Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    edited August 2014
    Right ... copying in the bugreport here, see if it fits the experiences you are having
    Seems to be a problem with awesomium, the tip videos and playing at full resolution.

Repo Steps are:

cheats 1; resettipvids; j1; kill

It will freeze with the marine on the infantry portal after about a sec. After about 20-30 seconds, a small window with "Failed to allocate 336870916 bytes and will now terminate" will show up.

Tested the following:

- Start a FullScreen/Full resolution: test crashes

- Start at Windowed/Full resultion: test crashes

- Start at FullScreen/Less than full res: test passes

- Start at Windowed/Less than full res: test passes

- Start at Windowed/Full resolution, then lower res : test crashes

- Start at Windowed/Less than full res, then increase res to full : test passes

- Start at Fullscreen/Less than full res, then increase to full: test passes.

• DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    I didnt experience the bug, was just thinking along. I havent had hints on since... long long ago. :D

Want me to bother putting it on and run some tests? Need more info on something?