Change the error message "server mod is out of date"

SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
edited August 2014 in Ideas and Suggestions
I get a lot of questions about that error message. How about adding "You can join once the server has changed map" to it?

Comments

• MuslimMuslim Azerbaijan Join Date: 2013-11-06 Member: 189075Members
    Why just not to use existing version of mod and store it in VCS, so people could to join?
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    But sometimes it depends, I mean, for instance, this message can appear if a mod isn't updated yet, right? So, a simple changemap won't help to solve this until the creator updates his mod.

If, at the contrary, a mod has been updated a few minutes ago & the server needs to changemap to update the mod itself, so yeah, that could work. Dunno if there's more other situations people can get this message.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited August 2014
    @Muslim‌ Sure, that would be even better but it takes more work. Until then an addition to the error message would be nice.

@Pelargir‌ As far as I know it only shows when a mod has been updated and the server you are trying to join is running the older version of the mod. A map change on the server will update the mod. Since a lot of players don't know that server mods are updated on map change I think it's a good idea to explain it in the error message.
  • PelargirPelargir Join Date: 2013-07-02 Member: 185857Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Forum staff
    This is not what I meant. When a new build is released, take b268 as an example. Server admins are going to install b268 depending of their host, blabla, no matter what. But modders have to do the same with their own mods. That means, if modders don't have time to do it as fast as it would be necessary (take Combat with b267), you can also get this message. Just changemap won't help 'cause the creator didn't update his mod yet. You have to wait for him to update his mod. In that case, you have the good version of the mod, the current one installed on your server, but that is possible it is became outdated or something when the latest build has been released. That was my point but not sure it works out here.

But of course, I agree a message or a small change on that line could help people to understand the issue.
  • SupaFredSupaFred Join Date: 2013-03-03 Member: 183652Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    Pelargir wrote: »
    That means, if modders don't have time to do it as fast as it would be necessary (take Combat with b267), you can also get this message.

Are you sure? In my experience incompatible mods cause bugs or break the server completely but they don't cause that kind of error message.
    SupaFred wrote: »
    Pelargir wrote: »
    That means, if modders don't have time to do it as fast as it would be necessary (take Combat with b267), you can also get this message.

Are you sure? In my experience incompatible mods cause bugs or break the server completely but they don't cause that kind of error message.

I had this kind of problem before, but it really depends of the mod & other factors I guess. So nop, I cannot confirm, that's why I asked. :D