[Mod download filtering]

ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
Anyway we can get some type of mod filter, so when I join random servers I don't have to download things that aren't required (ex a million badges or a gorge with cute eyes)

I'd like to set it to something like (maps only) or etc, just irks me that I have to have like thirty different mods installed when I only use two or so (not sure if it's possible but it should be!)

Comments

• BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    ezekel wrote: »
    Anyway we can get some type of mod filter, so when I join random servers I don't have to download things that aren't required (ex a million badges or a gorge with cute eyes)

I'd like to set it to something like (maps only) or etc, just irks me that I have to have like thirty different mods installed when I only use two or so (not sure if it's possible but it should be!)

Any server with this BS loaded onto it isn't worth it.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    For some reason the tags for workshop mods were removed from the launchpad a long time ago, but if those were added back in it should be possible.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    BeigeAlert wrote: »

Have you seen the manly moustache mod? HAVE YOU?!
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester

But that's like nearly all of them
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    For some reason the tags for workshop mods were removed from the launchpad a long time ago, but if those were added back in it should be possible.

Oh ok that's good to hear, am I correct that I don't need majority of these mods running client side? Even something like shine crossspawns should be something server side I think? Hopefully it's nothing big (like I have any idea) cause it'd be nice to have instead of seeing the largest mod list ever of unsubscribed mods

HM I wonder if there's a 'disable all download' method, for now I'm going to try making the entire workshop folder 'read-only' and see if that does the trick, for all I know it could cause me to crash
  • SantaClawsSantaClaws Denmark Join Date: 2012-07-31 Member: 154491Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I don't think you can make a folder read-only. You can only make the files within the folder read-only right? NS2 will still be able to write files in to the folder unless you use some kind of 3rd party magical thing iirc.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014

Oh ok that's good to hear, am I correct that I don't need majority of these mods running client side? Even something like shine crossspawns should be something server side I think? Hopefully it's nothing big (like I have any idea) cause it'd be nice to have instead of seeing the largest mod list ever of unsubscribed mods

No your are not correct in assuming that the client doesn't need those mods because you need to have those mods mounted locally to not fail the consistency check.

About mods like the shine crossspawn comeon all shine mods together are about 1 MB large. And stuff like the shine vote menu or the shine chatbox wouldn't be possible if shine would be server sided only.

No your are not correct in assuming that the client doesn't need those mods because you need to have those mods mounted locally to not fail the consistency check.

About mods like the shine crossspawn comeon all shine mods together are about 1 MB large. And stuff like the shine vote menu or the shine chatbox wouldn't be possible if shine would be server sided only.

Ah, but what about something like 'gorge' eyes and other stuff I wouldn't want? Would not having those still fail consistency cause I feel like those are not needed, and it's not the filesize - just the amount of mods that I don't want/use that are constantly being installed
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited August 2014

Ah, but what about something like 'gorge' eyes and other stuff I wouldn't want? Would not having those still fail consistency cause I feel like those are not needed, and it's not the filesize - just the amount of mods that I don't want/use that are constantly being installed

Yes if you would not mount these your files hash of the gorgeeyes texture would not fit to the servers one and you will faill the consistency check.

So the only way to avoid downloading and installing "useless" mods is not too play at servers having those enabled.