Which Alien Vision (AV) do you use in-game?

2»

Comments

• roxxkattroxxkatt Join Date: 2014-12-28 Member: 200431Members
    edited January 2015
    i am also curious about WHY people use their AV of choice, and i asked around a bunch before i started making AVs

a big reason is because they just havnt been exposed to that many, so most people play with AV off instead of the horrible default orange one, and those that actually use custom AV just use huze because its minimal

EDIT: also if anyone cares, i am currently pushing a global improvement which greatly improves the power and capabilities of AV through development atm
    http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/136373/proposed-alien-vision-change/p1

CDT has been having a big war over AV lately
    this change can not be seen, it only adds to the power that people making AV have
    go show your support, as i suspect some people are trying to sweep it under the rug
    SamusDroid wrote: »

thats actually a really neat idea, i might make something similar to that sometime soon maybe
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    @roxxkatt‌
    You made enemies and friendlies red??
    edited January 2015
    @ironhorse
    theres no distinction between entities in the game engine, yet
    theres also no distinction between entities in hive vision either with parasited marines
    so as much as i would like to, its not possible

as i addressed in the trello card probably https://trello.com/c/dLsN38ZK/719-add-more-parameters-to-the-alien-vision-shader-to-allow-for-more-modability
    roxxkatt wrote: »
    47528AD4D1D904D19813B0B3AE3D249EDAA245D1
    EF69F4A2482F551C435B00D5DCAB7AD383FD003C

heres the screenshots from page 1 again
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited January 2015
    PLEASE USE THE EDIT POST FEATURE
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2015
    SamusDroid wrote: »
    PLEASE USE THE EDIT FEATURE

It wasn't just me asking you in your other thread roxxkatt. Others feel the same. It is just good forum etiquette. You don't double post unless 24 hours has past. 24 hours is a rule of thumb, but you have been double posting in under 5 minutes a lot.
    IronHorse wrote: »
    @roxxkatt‌
    You made enemies and friendlies red??
    As one of the only one to vote for Roxxkatt's AV, I really like it. Its like the old AV but with higher contrast and colors I like better. I just don't like your view distance is limited.

• AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    Twilightblues AV For LYF.
  • MuckyMcFlyMuckyMcFly Join Date: 2012-03-19 Member: 148982Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    I preferred the original version overall, something cool about how it rolled out over the map.. Never did understand they they changed it to what we currently have.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    AurOn2 wrote: »
    Twilightblues AV For LYF.

Thanks Auron :P

I've updated AV:Reloaded. That is what I'm using now.
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Alien Vision also allows aliens to see hiding marines they would have missed. It demeans parisites and more importantly makes t
    MuckyMcFly wrote: »
    I preferred the original version overall, something cool about how it rolled out over the map.. Never did understand they they changed it to what we currently have.

Biodome
  • AurOn2AurOn2 COOKIES! FREEDOM, AND BISCUITS! Australia Join Date: 2012-01-13 Member: 140224Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Forum staff
    edited January 2015
    We should make a new poll in a few days, once everyones had a run around with the new one.
    I'm interested what the new results would be.
  • NotPaLaGiNotPaLaGi Join Date: 2014-05-29 Member: 196291Members
    Every time I see this thread has new replies, I always expect it to be roxxkatt posting consecutively to himself like 4 times.

And then when it isn't, I just get disappointed and don't even read any of the actual new replies.

• YojimboYojimbo England Join Date: 2009-03-19 Member: 66806Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2015
    NotPaLaGi wrote: »
    Every time I see this thread has new replies, I always expect it to be roxxkatt posting consecutively to himself like 4 times.

And then when it isn't, I just get disappointed and don't even read any of the actual new replies.

Roxxkatt doesn't sound like a guy, I always thought she was a girl to be honest, not that it matters, looking forward to seeing the new alien vision the new patch came with anyways :)
  • HeatSurgeHeatSurge Some Guy Join Date: 2012-09-15 Member: 159438Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited January 2015
    I understand the thinking behind the different alien visions, but I'm not really happy with the current one.

In my opinion, it's too minimal and subtle, to the point where it doesn't really matter much whether you have it off or on. The game is very playable without any sort of alien vision, once you learn the maps it doesn't really matter since marines and structures are highlighted for you with AV on or off anyway.

That being said, my preferred AV is probably the original one (CGA Vision), except one thing I would change is that the effect of the spherical "rollout," while pretty cool, isn't very realistic. Aliens' eyes probably adjust to the overall image, not to the distance... :-) The reason is, I just think it's "cool" and, while I understand it entirely removes the textures and map art, I like the idea of it being "primal" or something, where you become focused entirely on your target (highlighted buildings and marines), and everything else becomes irrelevant (environment, water, plants, etc.) and secondary (flat) except as a means to get to your target and rip them to shreds.

I think people in general use alien vision for its "coolness" more than its functionality nowadays (it wasn't always so, as there was no highlighting before without AV on IIRC), and I appreciate the "coolness" as part of the asymmetry.

That being said, I would like to have the ns2+ option of "choose whatever vision you'd like" with the option of the visions in the OP (maybe update them on a per-patch basis if any of them change), integrated into the "base game," because I don't really appreciate being forced to use vision "X" anymore for the sake of appreciating the map art.

I can appreciate the map art on Marines. As an alien, please let me use the option I want - in the end, it doesn't really even matter right now because of highlighting with AV off anyway.

P.S. I thought the Fanta vision was pretty ridiculous, and never liked it since it came out, and I was surprised it lasted so long. But I got used to it and played with it on anyway... :-)
  • ezekelezekel Join Date: 2012-11-29 Member: 173589Members, NS2 Map Tester
    i know this update put a new default AV, but did anything change regarding AV files? Or will I be good replacing the default AV with my modded one in the main game directory. If nothing changed I should be fine, but last few times AV changed the file extensions changed and what not and it broke the old stuff
  • AnkleBitingKittyAnkleBitingKitty United States Join Date: 2014-01-19 Member: 193284Members
    Iv'e always just used default even though it isn't the best, but that was just because I don't really use AV. The only time I do is when its all black, or to help see a vent I want to go through better. I just don't care too much for or use AV all the time because I like seeing everything as it looks, not just black and orange, or yellow and white. Seeing through normal vison does help you with ambushes as you can see where it is dark and be a bit more stealthy. (It's really fun to stealth walk under the rail for the molten metal buckets in transit-smelting hallway and drop down right behind marines)